E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E92 speaker upgrade

07-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
tuhojuho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92

E92 speaker upgrade

Here's some pictures of E92 front and rear speaker upgrade.

Front speakers

Pictures 1-3: Removal of the door panel is started by removing the rim covering the screws.

Pictures 4-8: The doors have 4 or 5 screws that hold the panel in place. The passenger side has one extra screw under the handle.

Pictures 9-10: Pay attention on wires and cables. The panel can be parted totally from the door by disconnecting the wires and the lock wire. It's basically same as with E90 front door.

Picture 11: Lock wire details.

Rear speakers

Picture 12: I started by removing the sill rim simply by pulling.

Pictures 13-14: Then I removed the backseat by pulling. Pictures show details on how it's mounted.

Picture 15: After removing the covering rim (by the same way as with the front doors) I opened the screws holding the panel.

Picture 16: When the 2 screws are removed, the panel can be simply removed by pulling. This is what's behind the panel.

Pictures 17-18: Disconnect the speaker- and safety belt assistant's connectors and the panel can be taken out from the car.

Pictures 19-22: Details of the old and new speakers. I choose Pioneer TS-E1002i speakers as replacements.

Pictures 23-24: When putting the panel back on, pay attention on the detail shown in the last pictures. There is a slit under the white panel marked with the red arrow, in which the flap should go. The slit is shown in the pic 23.

When putting the panel back on, avoid scratching the bar in front of the rear panel (the bar, which has the front safety belt inside)

I also added new wires from the rear speakers to the trunk for subwoofer amplifier. I used an active transformer (with automatic remote signal) to control the woofer and convert the speaker signal to line signal. Will post some pics on this later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
tuhojuho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E92

I have to add one detail about the speaker wire colouring: The brown wire seems to be speaker ground.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Daiz4yota
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 AW M8 Competition Coupe

anyone done this yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep