E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Carplay Pioneer DA120 Appradio4 ordered!

11-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #89
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F34 GT 320dA Sport 2014

I thought about Pioneer AVH-X5600BT. It has a lot more features and the price is a little higher. http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/109/281/AVH-X5600BT/page.html
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #90
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1973 View Post
I thought about Pioneer AVH-X5600BT. It has a lot more features and the price is a little higher. http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/109/281/AVH-X5600BT/page.html
Does it support Apple CarPlay though? Some of the older Pioneers can't be upgraded to CarPlay, others can. If you have an iPhone I wouldn't consider a pioneer HU without CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #91
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

Of course, it has support for Apple carplay, read the given link. This is not the older model is the 2014 years. I do not know where you are but in Europe, went on sale earlier this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #92
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I did have a quick look but I couldn't see the CarPlay logo on that link. I thought the 8600 was the lowest model that supported carplay after the da120. Have a look at this pioneer link. http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/page/produ...play/home.html The 5600 isn't shown as supporting CarPlay. I'm in the UK and have spent a lot of time researching this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #93
sanjp
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
I think so. Well usually it does. It has gone a bit mad occasionally. I tend to turn off the sound unless I don't really know where I'm going by pressing the speaker symbol.

You could try rebooting your iPhone. Has fixed a few things for me.

Have you noticed that if you regularly travel to the same place at a similar time Apple maps guesses where you are going and sets up automatically when you set off?

I find it great having the Nav on all the time as the traffic info is pretty accurate.
LOL it was my fault! For some dumbass reason i switched off the 'Mute level" in the settings of the headunit!!

Only figured it out last night!! Was doing my head in!

Kris1973 - the 5600bt does not support CarPlay. There was no firmware update for that headunit. It supportd AppRadio which is Pioneers equivalent.

The only headunits that support CarPlay in Europe are the ones in the link Emeye sent...

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #94
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I have still not had the chance to upgrade to firmware 1.07 and I am still on 1.06, so the following problems may disappear, but

1) If I am listening from USB stick, Rdio App or radio and then go to send a message or take/make a call, when I have finished the unit starts playing the only song that is in the itunes radio! I have to manually go back into what I was listening to.

2) Occasionally the onboard keyboard used for destination entry goes corrupt - only fix is to reboot iphone.

3) Some options are greyed out and there is no way I can get to them, even though they were available before as I had changed the setting - eg. News interrupt - I turned it on but no way to turn if back off - say with TA interupt - I have tried safe mode on/off handbrake on (something in manual about having to put the handbrake on and off twice but still nothing!) Some option go from grey to usuable, but not all of them - I had to reset all the setting which was a pain!

4) Default settings for Seat position left - right - not the end of the world as can manually set.

5) Siri can not handle my Northern England accent - seem worse if the car is moving and there is more background noise.

6) Sat nav doesn't do postcode lookup.

7) Occasionally the track change multifunction keys stop working in carplay mode despite the volume buttons still working and the track buttons still working in USB/radio etc mode. Coming out of app and back in can sort but not always.

Any one else had these issues or can add any?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 03:57 AM   #95
sanjp
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
I have still not had the chance to upgrade to firmware 1.07 and I am still on 1.06, so the following problems may disappear, but

1) If I am listening from USB stick, Rdio App or radio and then go to send a message or take/make a call, when I have finished the unit starts playing the only song that is in the itunes radio! I have to manually go back into what I was listening to.

2) Occasionally the onboard keyboard used for destination entry goes corrupt - only fix is to reboot iphone.

3) Some options are greyed out and there is no way I can get to them, even though they were available before as I had changed the setting - eg. News interrupt - I turned it on but no way to turn if back off - say with TA interupt - I have tried safe mode on/off handbrake on (something in manual about having to put the handbrake on and off twice but still nothing!) Some option go from grey to usuable, but not all of them - I had to reset all the setting which was a pain!

4) Default settings for Seat position left - right - not the end of the world as can manually set.

5) Siri can not handle my Northern England accent - seem worse if the car is moving and there is more background noise.

6) Sat nav doesn't do postcode lookup.

7) Occasionally the track change multifunction keys stop working in carplay mode despite the volume buttons still working and the track buttons still working in USB/radio etc mode. Coming out of app and back in can sort but not always.

Any one else had these issues or can add any?

1) never been in that scenario so I can't help.

2) keyboard is still buggy on the latest firmware.

3) I found for the radio options to become useable you have to be on the radio. It was doing my head in why they weren't showing. As soon as I went to radio, the options were there. Very annoying.

4) lol you know my answer to that...

5) Siri does struggle with my Midlands accent sometimes!

6) It does, I use it all the time...

7) never come across this problem before...

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 04:05 AM   #96
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

If I say navigate to SK12 3GH Siri comes back and says sorry I don't know SK12 3GH.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #97
hau_u
Rep
Drives: pre-lci e90

hey guys, I'm researching on the exact same thing for my 08 e90 non-idrive.
Just wonder how people think of this headunit as a comparison with AVIC-8000NEX?
My understanding is this APPRADIO 4 basically offers no feature without connection with your smartphone (except backup camera)

Another issue is I'm currently using Android so the Apple Car Play basically has no use to me (it looks amazing though which makes me thinking to switch to iPhone)
Do you think it's still worth to get this headunit with an Android? My understanding is I can only use Maps and music through installing Appradio apps?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:18 AM   #98
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

How is everyone getting on?

I do feel like a frustrated Beta tester as there are plenty of bugs, such as after sending a message the unit starts playing the first tune on the phone, even if I was listening to Rdio or choons on my USB stick.

Siri drives me nuts - it just guesses what I am saying if it is anything out of the ordinary, so trying to send a message is very frustrating.

My Northern English Lancashire accent may not help, but if you watch Siri on the iphone screen you can see it guesses what you are saying rather than converting it word by word!

Rdio and Spotify seem to freeze when they are in online mode, but putting them into offline seems to improve things. It is still frustrating that songs in Rdio start from the begining rather than from where they were last time you were listening to them.

I saw a comparison of Android Auto and Apple Carplay in a Hyundai which was running both on the OEM system, and Android Auto looks more complete despite not being rerleased - I'm hoping the Appradio4 is capable of being upgraded when Android Auto is released.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #99
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420D

Still not very happy.

Either I am stupid but I cant find any option for auto dimming. The light of the radio is damn bright that, its bothering me at night.

Car play is fun, but spotify will hang itself quiet often for no reason. Songs are not playing when I select them etc.

Videos on the USB works fine. Same with playing songs of the USB. At this stage I used the USB more than carplay. Just have the phone in my pocket and let it connect via Bluetooth.

There is still a few things that need to be done with the radio. And trust me if you are having a hard time with Siri and your accents. Try a german/irish accent mix. She understands nothing. Most of the time my replies with Siri are:
"yes", "no", "okay" or "be there soon".

But I would like to hear how others get on with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #100
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQeez View Post
Still not very happy.

Either I am stupid but I cant find any option for auto dimming. The light of the radio is damn bright that, its bothering me at night.

Car play is fun, but spotify will hang itself quiet often for no reason. Songs are not playing when I select them etc.

Videos on the USB works fine. Same with playing songs of the USB. At this stage I used the USB more than carplay. Just have the phone in my pocket and let it connect via Bluetooth.

There is still a few things that need to be done with the radio. And trust me if you are having a hard time with Siri and your accents. Try a german/irish accent mix. She understands nothing. Most of the time my replies with Siri are:
"yes", "no", "okay" or "be there soon".

But I would like to hear how others get on with it.
I find the Apple Maps Navigation is very good - mine seems to autodim at night with the maps going a different, dark colour.

I too tend to use USB music or put Rdio into offline to listen to music.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 03:10 AM   #101
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

I bought a Pioneer AVH-X8600BT. At the weekend I will be installing. I bought a set of connects2 CTKMB12 http://www.ebay.pl/itm/351177307660?...84.m1497.l2649. Tried to plug in 12V fuse box ?? Do not want to drag the cable to the battery. If someone hooked 12v fuse box let you write the fuse or maybe busy place where there is a fuse?

Last edited by kris1973; 12-25-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #102
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Thought it might help if I translated this for you. I used google translate and was very impressed by the results!

I bought a Pioneer AVH- X8600BT . At the weekend I will be installing . I bought a set of connects2 CTKMB12 http://www.ebay.pl/itm/351177307660?...84.m1497.l2649 . Tried to plug in 12V fuse box ?? Do not want to drag the cable to the battery. If someone hooked 12v fuse box let you write the fuse or maybe busy place where there is a fuse ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris1973 View Post
Kupiłem Pioneer AVH-X8600BT. W weekend będę instalował. Kupiłem też zestaw connects2 CTKMB12 http://www.ebay.pl/itm/351177307660?...84.m1497.l2649. Próbowaliście podłaczyć 12V w skrzynce bezpieczników ?? Nie chce przeciągać przewodu do akumulatora. Jeżeli ktoś podłączył 12v w skrzynce bezpieczników niech napiszę pod który bezpiecznik czy może miejce gdzie nie ma bezpiecznika ?
I gave up looking for a permanent 12v supply in the fuse box. Did lots of research but there are so many variations of fuses it proved almost impossible. Running a cable to the boot is not that hard if you have folding seats - not sure how hard it is if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #103
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

I have a folding seat and not about the difficulty in dragging the cable. They are sacred and shops are closed and the length of cable supplied connects2 does not allow dragging to the trunk so I thought that connect it in the fuse box ... I think the fuse No. 2 has a 12v power supply and is not planted, the empty slot. I need to check the meter and can I connect there.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #104
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

The issues is that many of the 12v feeds shut down after 20 or 60 minutes. Have a search on here for permanent live feeds and you will find plenty of threads which may help. The central locking fuses are work searching out.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #105
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

You have connected directly to the battery? From what I saw on the battery are 2 screws marked with "+". Have connected in any of the screws Stake? Do not discharge the battery? As I understand it a voltage of 12 V is required to maintain a preset radio station, date, time, and other settings?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #106
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

The yellow cable from the connects2 I extended to the battery. The other power requirements come through the connects2 loom adapter.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #107
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Don't forget to put a fuse close to the battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #108
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

The fuse is included on the yellow cable. I'll just an extension of this line.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #109
kris1973
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

You CAN integration work. My point of view the car PDC sensors, without reversing camera and view data from the Climatronic (temperature, air, heated seats)?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #110
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420D

I have mine connected in the fuse box. Let me take a picture tomorrow so you can see where i have mine connected.
I took a Voltmeter and checked which fuse still had 12V after the car was off for 2h. Took a bit of searching but I finally found one.
Appreciate 0