E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best non-oem Bluetooth solution for navi ?

12-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Best non-oem Bluetooth solution for navi ?

Seeking non-oem bluetooth opinions.

For whatever reason the original owner of my 2007 328i got every conceivable option except for power seats and bluetooth. (It has Navi & I-drive.)

About a year ago I installed a Parrot CK-3200 bluetooth unit with a Y cable that I ordered from the UK. The Y cable lets you install the Parrot bluetooth unit without having to do any physical wiring, it goes between the radio and original car harness. It worked fine and I was quite happy with it but didn't notice until several months later that my centre console Aux/USB stopped working. It didn't occur to me at the time but I just recently concluded that it must have happened after I did the bluetooth Y cable install.
Today I had some time and decided to investigate it so I removed the Y harness and plugged the original connector directly into the radio and sure enough the Aux/USB is working again. It would seem the wonderful Y cable doesn't pass the Aux/USB wiring through so It's one or the other (working bluetooth or working Aux/USB).

So, I'm curious to hear about other successful bluetooth solutions for cars with Navi and no OEM bluetooth. I'd like to keep the expenditure under $200 if possible but will consider all options if it approaches an OEM installation with working steering wheel buttons, radio mute and I don't lose my Aux/USB functionality.

Thanks !

Last edited by radeohedca; 12-29-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wire the oem bluetooth mic to the 6fl unit and get it coded for bt
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Kidding... right ?

Last edited by radeohedca; 12-29-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Absoulutely not. Search!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

The short story is that the MULF for 6FL has built in BT capability even though the BMW assist w/BT uses a different hardware piece (the TCU)...but quite a few have wired up a mic to the MULF, coded it, and now have OEM BT for ~$50

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
SmellMyFart
Private
Rep
Drives: Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
The short story is that the MULF for 6FL has built in BT capability even though the BMW assist w/BT uses a different hardware piece (the TCU)...but quite a few have wired up a mic to the MULF, coded it, and now have OEM BT for ~$50

Good luck
Hi, Im new to this forum. I completely dont know what you are talking about. Can you post the relative link for the part and the installation? I have searched for a while, no luck.

Thank you very much for your help man.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581562

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
If you have the USB option 6FL, you already have bluetooth, all you need to do is tell the radio you have it and then add a mic and an antenna, bother of which are $50.

Running the harness if pretty easy, just have to be careful if you are in a car without MOST already in there as you are laying optical cables and they can break.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
SmellMyFart
Private
Rep

Quote:
My car has the voice control and usb port as well. It has navi and idrive. Does that mean I have the bt but its just activated? And when I checked up the idrive, it says that the phone is not installed in my car. I totally dont understand what it means.

Thanks for your info bro.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyFart
Quote:
My car has the voice control and usb port as well. It has navi and idrive. Does that mean I have the bt but its just activated? And when I checked up the idrive, it says that the phone is not installed in my car. I totally dont understand what it means.

Thanks for your info bro.
Essentially yes. The 6FL used a different hardware (mulf) than the BT (tcu) but coding the car for BT will also activate the BT in 6FL
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
SmellMyFart
Private
Rep

Quote:
Essentially yes. The 6FL used a different hardware (mulf) than the BT (tcu) but coding the car for BT will also activate the BT in 6FL
So, what should I ask the dealer do for my car? Im so confused. They just gave me a quote of bt for more than 2000. Now, Im gonna ask them to code the usb port to be bt port? How about the mic? Please be more specific. Im thinking of ordering this one(link below) or give it a try on ur suggestion.

Thanks man.

http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_Bluetot...formation.html
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

If you want to buy parts, go ahead. If you want to enable functionality available in the parts you have i have pointed you to the information to do that.
90% of dealers wont be aware of this possibility and still fewer will try it, esp if you arent confident about what you are asking for.

Read the success stories of those in the linked thread and sub threads
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
SmellMyFart
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you want to buy parts, go ahead. If you want to enable functionality available in the parts you have i have pointed you to the information to do that.
90% of dealers wont be aware of this possibility and still fewer will try it, esp if you arent confident about what you are asking for.

Read the success stories of those in the linked thread and sub threads
Oh, my friend. Of cox I dont wanna spend 700 bucks on that part if I can just have the bt while driving for just 50 bucks. I just really dont know what to ask the dealer to do for my car. Thats the point. Please misunderstand me. I so appreciate for all the help you gave me.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

The linked thread and the thread "mulf high pinouts" are everything i know.
Appreciate 0