E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > What is easiest plug and play tuning opt for 2011 335d?

07-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
Wow 23 vs 28 is a huge drop. I've always liked driving in DS but always afraid of the MPG hit. Don't think I'll switch that often.
Again, the bigger difference is not that I put it into DS. The change was my driving style. Much heavier on the gas and more often.

I am sure if you put the car into DS mode and attempted to drive efficiently it would not have such a huge MPG drop. Alternatively, even if you do not put it in DS mode and drive in D but drive "spiritedly" you will still have significant drop in MPG.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
Again, the bigger difference is not that I put it into DS. The change was my driving style. Much heavier on the gas and more often.

I am sure if you put the car into DS mode and attempted to drive efficiently it would not have such a huge MPG drop. Alternatively, even if you do not put it in DS mode and drive in D but drive "spiritedly" you will still have significant drop in MPG.
Some time ago in this forum, and I apologize for not taking time to find it, there was some discussion about the firmware that is used by our Ds. Relying totally on memory now, as I recall there were four different "programs", for lack of a better word (embarrassing to say as an old IT guy), that were brought into effect. Two of the four are used when you are in D; the other two are used when you are in DS. Then within that demarcation, each "side" had two "programs". One was for so-called "normal" driving and the other was so-called "spirited" driving. Within each of these "programs" are controlled the various settings that influence our performance. Within D for example, the normal "program" would pass the baton on to the spirited "program" when it sensed that you were "in the mood" by your driving input, and it seems that it was more than just go-pedal application, there may have been some measurement of g-forces, etc. After you get your adrenaline levels back down to normal, it takes some number of minutes before it shifts back to the "normal" program. This program, it would seem to me, also would affect the algorithms that determine how much it thinks at the moment you have left on your tank of gas.

If I have time later I'll try to find it and repost it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Some time ago in this forum, and I apologize for not taking time to find it, there was some discussion about the firmware that is used by our Ds. Relying totally on memory now, as I recall there were four different "programs", for lack of a better word (embarrassing to say as an old IT guy), that were brought into effect. Two of the four are used when you are in D; the other two are used when you are in DS. Then within that demarcation, each "side" had two "programs". One was for so-called "normal" driving and the other was so-called "spirited" driving. Within each of these "programs" are controlled the various settings that influence our performance. Within D for example, the normal "program" would pass the baton on to the spirited "program" when it sensed that you were "in the mood" by your driving input, and it seems that it was more than just go-pedal application, there may have been some measurement of g-forces, etc. After you get your adrenaline levels back down to normal, it takes some number of minutes before it shifts back to the "normal" program. This program, it would seem to me, also would affect the algorithms that determine how much it thinks at the moment you have left on your tank of gas.

If I have time later I'll try to find it and repost it.
That is an extremely interesting concept. But I'm curious why didn't BMW just put these "programs" for the user to select instead of hiding it and trying to figure/feel what the user is attempting to achieve.
Appreciate 0