E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Custom Exhaust help needed

07-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Arrow Custom Exhaust help needed

So I had a muffler delete when I first got my car, sounded great. Almost exactly what I wanted it to sound like. Secondary cats were still in place.
Here is a video:

Then I had purchased some VRSF coated catless downpipes, and my car went to hell. It was droning on the highway and raspy. Secondary were still in place here:

So then I decided to order some mufflers and take it an exhaust shop and have a custom 2.5 inch exhaust made up. The guy who worked there told me that if I remove the secondary cats it will sound bad again, I told him I wanted them removed but instead we could add resonators there in place. He used an x pipe where the stock one was and then finished it off with my two straight through mufflers. I was expecting a beautiful sound but instead I had got a muffled stock exhaust
Here:

My question now is.. what do you guys recommend doing? Removing my resonators? Would that make the difference I am looking for or if I want sound will I have to deal with the drone and raspyness of no mufflers and leaving the resonators.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Delete the mufflers ......
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
evo335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Why not have catless downpipe/secondary cat delete to stock muffler

Or catless downpipe to resonators to stock/modified mufflers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo335xi View Post
Why not have catless downpipe/secondary cat delete to stock muffler

Or catless downpipe to resonators to stock/modified mufflers
I am thinking of simply removing the resonators therefor making it completely catless with the new mufflers I added
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I'm in a similar dilemma. Catless DP's seem to make these n54's raspy as hell. I'd consider removing the resonators and seeing how it sounds, keeping the mufflers though. Or maybe try going catless DP's, to resonators in place of secondary cats, and straight pipe after that. Should sound loud, yet not raspy with the resonators.
      07-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
I'm in a similar dilemma. Catless DP's seem to make these n54's raspy as hell. I'd consider removing the resonators and seeing how it sounds, keeping the mufflers though. Or maybe try going catless DP's, to resonators in place of secondary cats, and straight pipe after that. Should sound loud, yet not raspy with the resonators.
I have a appointment with the exhaust shop tomorrow to remove the resonators, I will post a video of the results after
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Chronumn
BMW Client Advisor
Rep

Garage List
Update: Removed the resonators kept the mufflers here is what she sounds like now

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
FrozenM3nace
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92, E32 750il

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronumn
Update: Removed the resonators kept the mufflers here is what she sounds like now

Wow sounds nice and aggressive!
Appreciate 0