E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Add an equalizer to non-logic7?

12-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Add an equalizer to non-logic7?

I have no problems with the non-logic7 sound. Sounds decent enough and has plenty of bass for me. The problem is it sounds flat. Like on itunes, if the equalizer was set to normal or flat instead of rock.

Is there a way to add an amp or whatever it takes just to add an equalizer?. I dont want a full upgrade. The only thing I want to add is the ability to tweak the equalizer settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I have no problems with the non-logic7 sound. Sounds decent enough and has plenty of bass for me. The problem is it sounds flat. Like on itunes, if the equalizer was set to normal or flat instead of rock.

Is there a way to add an amp or whatever it takes just to add an equalizer?. I dont want a full upgrade. The only thing I want to add is the ability to tweak the equalizer settings.
To add an EQ between the OEM HU and the OEM amp you will need an EQ with line driver (at least 5V output) that can accept differential signals. So far, only the AudioControl EQs can do that.

That could work, but I'm not 100% sure if any of the AudioControl EQ's can effectively drive the OEM amp even with their 10V outputs max if the OEM amp requires also some level of current to go with the high voltage outputs. I only have measured the voltage output of OEM HUs and not its current...

This could be a good test, though...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
To add an EQ between the OEM HU and the OEM amp you will need an EQ with line driver (at least 5V output) that can accept differential signals. So far, only the AudioControl EQs can do that.

That could work, but I'm not 100% sure if any of the AudioControl EQ's can effectively drive the OEM amp even with their 10V outputs max if the OEM amp requires also some level of current to go with the high voltage outputs. I only have measured the voltage output of OEM HUs and not its current...

This could be a good test, though...
Seems complicated. What kind of wiring would have to be done?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Seems complicated. What kind of wiring would have to be done?
Any addition to your sound system will be also complicated, then. There's a possibility that this will not work, so now I think that this idea is not for you.

A sure and simple way for you to add an EQ to your system is to replace the OEM amp with a Zapco DC650.6 amp, which includes a full DSP processor/EQ and enough power to drive safely all your OEM speakers if tuned right. Although it could be installed as a DIY, I would recommend a competent installer in this case.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any addition to your sound system will be also complicated, then. There's a possibility that this will not work, so now I think that this idea is not for you.

A sure and simple way for you to add an EQ to your system is to replace the OEM amp with a Zapco DC650.6 amp, which includes a full DSP processor/EQ and enough power to drive safely all your OEM speakers if tuned right. Although it could be installed as a DIY, I would recommend a competent installer in this case.
lol, you saying im not a competent installer?.....jk. Yeah I just wanted something simple to get some eq settings. I think that would make a huge difference.

Maybe theres a way in itunes or garageband or something to embed the eq settings into the aac file itself. That would probably be easier then adding an amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
lol, you saying im not a competent installer? .....jk. Yeah I just wanted something simple to get some eq settings. I think that would make a huge difference.

Maybe theres a way in itunes or garageband or something to embed the eq settings into the aac file itself. That would probably be easier then adding an amp.
... I take the "seems complicated" seriously, so I don't want you to mess up your car.

If your issue is only with MP3/AAC files in your iPod and its EQ, that's easy: you can set the iPod EQ (Menu>Settings>EQ) to whatever you want and it will apply to all the songs played thru your iPod adapter. You can also set individual EQ curves to each song as well.

Another way of making the iPod songs sound much better is to burn them at 320kps VBR.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyway to do that for music stored on the idrive hdd? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Anyway to do that for music stored on the idrive hdd? Thanks
No... your iDrive HDD formats the songs at 128kps WMA by default, regardless of the original format.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No... your iDrive HDD formats the songs at 128kps WMA by default, regardless of the original format.
Oh crap. So I have to have a professional install an expensive amp just to gain equalizer settings or listen to the music through the iphone.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh crap. So I have to have a professional install an expensive amp just to gain equalizer settings or listen to the music through the iphone.

Thanks for the help.
That amp/DSP is recommended just because it is a single unit, but you can do the same with separate amp and EQ units for much less.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The amp is located in the trunk area. I was hoping to just be able to swap the amp to one that has some eq settings. I thought Id be able to adjust the eq from the trunk amp, and not have to rewire or do anything else.

I was hoping for a plug and play amp with eq settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #12
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

As technique pointed out, there is a problem fron-ending the factory amp with an aftermarket EQ. The factory amp takes differential input. The EQ has line level output and I don't think you can use that output with the oem amp input.

I bypassed the factory amp which is the source of the equailzation and cross over problems. Even using the factory speakers the improvement is huge.

I saved money on the install by using an audiocontrol eq instead of a dsp, used amps that I had from my last car, and an infinity basslink also from my last car.

My install is posted here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164359
Appreciate 0