E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Code 29DC but interesting fix

05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: hot rod

anyone else getting 29DC cynlider injection switch-off?

in my case, i don't always get a SEL, and it doesn't always go into a limp-type mode. i say limp-type b/c it's absolutely running on less than 6 cyl but there's no SEL light.
it's not always WOT, sometimes it's 3/4 throttle.
it won't happen down low, only over say 4000rpm.

just want to be sure it's the lpfp before i get into it.

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #24
e90328i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbetter View Post
anyone else getting 29DC cynlider injection switch-off?

in my case, i don't always get a SEL, and it doesn't always go into a limp-type mode. i say limp-type b/c it's absolutely running on less than 6 cyl but there's no SEL light.
it's not always WOT, sometimes it's 3/4 throttle.
it won't happen down low, only over say 4000rpm.

just want to be sure it's the lpfp before i get into it.
getting the same thing too anyone had issues with code 29dc before?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

I just got 29DC about 30 minutes ago. I went to fill up a tank of gas at Costco and got on the freeway (Less then one mile after fill up with 93 octane). I floored it to pass a line of slow cars on the right line, after passing 2 cars I felt something shudder and I let off the gas. Got off the freeway and I could feel the car shaking lightly. No CEL/SES lights but at a stop light I could feel the car shake like its having a hard time maintaining idle. Acceleration was non-existant, I could only gently get up to speed.

I babied the car home for about 4 miles and then pulled the code (29DC), cleared the code and then went on a WOT run up and down the freeway with no problems.

The only thing I have recently done is the past 3 weeks is walnut blasting and new spark plugs. At the same time I had added an AR DP with DP fix set at 5 o'clock, BMS OCC, and a ER FMIC full kit with charge pipe Tial BOV VTA. I already had the JB4 and BMS DCI

I suspect that the 5 o'clock setting might be a little weak (but hasn't tossed any codes in the past 750 miles). I think i need to have it at 4 o'clock or possibly 4:30?? This is the first time I got this code, last week my wife got some code for the yellow engine symbol and a yellow 4x4 disable symbol (had her clear the codes without checking them. The car never gave any codes before this.

- Faz

Last edited by fazman; 09-08-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
I just got 29DC about 30 minutes ago. I went to fill up a tank of gas at Costco and got on the freeway (Less then one mile after fill up with 93 octane). I floored it to pass a line of slow cars on the right line, after passing 2 cars I felt something shudder and I let off the gas. Got off the freeway and I could feel the car shaking lightly. No CEL/SES lights but at a stop light I could feel the car shake like its having a hard time maintaining idle. Acceleration was non-existant, I could only gently get up to speed.

I babied the car home for about 4 miles and then pulled the code (29DC), cleared the code and then went on a WOT run up and down the freeway with no problems.

The only thing I have recently done is the past 3 weeks is walnut blasting and new spark plugs. At the same time I had added an AR DP with DP fix set at 5 o'clock, BMS OCC, and a ER FMIC full kit with charge pipe Tial BOV VTA. I already had the JB4 and BMS DCI

I suspect that the 5 o'clock setting might be a little weak (but hasn't tossed any codes in the past 750 miles). I think i need to have it at 4 o'clock or possibly 4:30?? This is the first time I got this code, last week my wife got some code for the yellow engine symbol and a yellow 4x4 disable symbol (had her clear the codes without checking them. The car never gave any codes before this.

- Faz
dp fix along with a tune is not a good idea. dp fix is more so for peeps without a tune wanting to pass readiness inspection n such. pm terry and ask for more guidance if you feel the need.
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman

- Faz
dp fix along with a tune is not a good idea. dp fix is more so for peeps without a tune wanting to pass readiness inspection n such. pm terry and ask for more guidance if you feel the need.
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #28
eg9_dc2
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

so whats the conclusion fellas ie the fix for the 29dc code? ive read on the sticky section a fuel pump is normally needed for replace...is that the hpfp or the lpfp? the sticky didnt specify and thiers mixed opinions from what ive read...

i had my car codes read by some and 29dc was the only code....car goes into limp mode on WOT or even close to WOT....sometimes just over 70mph sometimes even in 1st gear...

possible thiers more codes maybe that only dealer tools can read?

my car is totally standard just under 100k.

its doing it alot more often now.it doesnt have long starts i WAS getting the service light on but since ive serviced my car (pads) no lights pop up or anyhting (those usual apparaent tell tale signs of the hpfp)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #29
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg9_dc2 View Post
so whats the conclusion fellas ie the fix for the 29dc code? ive read on the sticky section a fuel pump is normally needed for replace...is that the hpfp or the lpfp? the sticky didnt specify and thiers mixed opinions from what ive read...

i had my car codes read by some and 29dc was the only code....car goes into limp mode on WOT or even close to WOT....sometimes just over 70mph sometimes even in 1st gear...

possible thiers more codes maybe that only dealer tools can read?

my car is totally standard just under 100k.

its doing it alot more often now.it doesnt have long starts i WAS getting the service light on but since ive serviced my car (pads) no lights pop up or anyhting (those usual apparaent tell tale signs of the hpfp)
Low Pressure sensor is possible culprit.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #30
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Low Pressure sensor is possible culprit.
Have to check running diagnostics either with INPA, Autologic, GT1, or BT tool, or take the car to a skilled shop, or start replacing parts. The LP sensor is inexpensive, so an easy first attempt if you have no way to log ECU functions.
      10-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #31
eg9_dc2
Private
Rep

hmm so il start with trying to get the fuel pressure sensor read and/or maybe replace it...then the pressure tested from the lpfp to see if it reads ok (if i can find some 1 to do this for me)

can some 1 tell me the purpose of the hpfp? i'd assume its related to driving the car faster/accelerating harder to pressurise more fuel in?

thing is if i drive the car normal it is totally fine so under that assumption id assume the lpfp would be fine....

does any 1 know a decent garage some where in west yorkshire, england for me to take my car to who'l be able to do tests as oppose to play the guessing game on my time/money.

i knew a few guys who pretty knowledgable in general but might not know if the readings they might be able to give me are upto specs.il try get some and check with some one if they are upto par.

if i can manage to get the problem fixed soon il be buying the jb4 with the usb cable etc i assume that will be sufficient for readings codes and outputs etc etc ??

thanks for the input!!

haha i gotta say i love driving this car.power all the way across the rev range off your gone smoothly/swiftly with a low rumble.

p.s drove my other option of car the other day audi s5...it felt dead and slow, not as responsive and the car didnt feel very good to drive..nice engine burble, bit of a posers car really.i know i made the right choice.oh and we even dragged a few times on the motor on a quiet night i was surprised the bmw was edging even though the s5 had a bigger engine/more power.!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #32
kollegga
Private
Rep
Drives: 1

anything new?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #33
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's your low pressure fuel pump. Do yourself a favor and have it replaced before you come to the airstrip event. You WILL trigger that code and make your runs miserable. Only costs $250 and is easy enough to do yourself (30min job). If that is the code you've been getting all among, they have been misdiagnosis your issue.
how are u so sure its the lpfp? and could running e85 cause this to go? just popped up on my car and im getting misfires along with 2fbe so im just curious..thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #34
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2nice View Post
how are u so sure its the lpfp? and could running e85 cause this to go? just popped up on my car and im getting misfires along with 2fbe so im just curious..thanks
e85 will make the LPFP work harder. It's a quick fix. Just make sure your tank is almost empty before you do replace the pump. Your car will smell like gas for a couple of days, just keep a window open so it will air out. I started getting codes after about 60% ethanol content. Now that I have a booster pump, I haven't had any issues and I'm running over 80% ethanol. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #35
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
e85 will make the LPFP work harder. It's a quick fix. Just make sure your tank is almost empty before you do replace the pump. Your car will smell like gas for a couple of days, just keep a window open so it will air out. I started getting codes after about 60% ethanol content. Now that I have a booster pump, I haven't had any issues and I'm running over 80% ethanol. Good luck.
Thanks... If i decided not to use e85 anymore do u think i will still experience this? N i saw the walbro 450 lph on ebay for $175... Im gonna get that just ti be safe but just curious to know if the stock pump would be fine running 93oct... Or is it kind of damaged due to running the e85
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #36
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2nice View Post
Thanks... If i decided not to use e85 anymore do u think i will still experience this? N i saw the walbro 450 lph on ebay for $175... Im gonna get that just ti be safe but just curious to know if the stock pump would be fine running 93oct... Or is it kind of damaged due to running the e85
It will be fine on 93, but doing the upgrade would be recommended. Just make sure you get the Walbro e85 pump otherwise the non-e85 pump won't last long. I'm running 100% e85 without issues using the FFTEC booster pump. But the Walbro upgrade will also work. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
K.david
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Engine protection

Fuel cut out faults and boost deactivation faults all occur in response to something els. What the dme is doing is protecting the engine from damage. The root cause could be anything from weak coils to wastage solenoid valves. It doesn't necessarily mean a problem in the fuel system. Be cautious on replacing parts prematurely.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

I'm still running my original lpfp and haven't had any issues after the carbon clean!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
2nice89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's your low pressure fuel pump. Do yourself a favor and have it replaced before you come to the airstrip event. You WILL trigger that code and make your runs miserable. Only costs $250 and is easy enough to do yourself (30min job). If that is the code you've been getting all among, they have been misdiagnosis your issue.
i just got a brand new hpfp yesterday lol...loaded up 60% e85 n on wot wham, here goes the 29dc code...im thinking its the lpfp as well and i already have the walbro 450lph waiting to be installed but y isnt the car throwing a lpfp code instead of the hpfp?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Spark plug are in good conditions ?
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #41
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I just installed my brand new COBB V3 and took the car for a ride. It was a huge delight but after a while I got into some problems that I need advice on.

I was driving for about an hour on highway and other roads and pushing the car, no problems. Then I tried the "0-100 kmh performance measure" feature once with no problem but on the second run, exactly when I shift from 2nd to 3rd the car sort of brakes in, cuts power and start vibrating and I also got some smell in the cabin of something burnt. No warning lights on the display though. I slowly drive to the side, steering wheel shaking and car almost doesn't respond to throttle input, stop the engine and restart and it runs fine. I check codes and have the two following:

P2AAF
P29DC

I clear them, also resets ECU learning and codes and push the car again. Now this time I don't dare to do 0-100 times but try to go on 2nd gear WOT from about 2500rpm up to about 6000 before shifting to 3rd , going WOT through this one and then shifting to 4th and slowly braking. No problems occur but I see that error code P2AAF is there once again.

After some searching on the forums I find some indications on that I need to change the Low Pressure Fuel Pump but some also say it's nothing to worry about and "normal with COBB". What do you guys think?

I will try to list the parameters I can think of that might be of interest t

I use:
* Stg1 LT Sport I480S v401
* aFe Cold Air Intake (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag..._installed.jpg)
* VRSF 7" FMIC
* VRSF Charge Pipe
* Shell 98+ octane (as per Euro metrics), never ran anything below 98 octane the last 4 years.
* About 40389 miles on spark plugs (about 65000 km)

I will try to log also soon, I realized that the logs will help a lot...

So what do you guys think? Ignore it or do some maintenance already?!? Walnut Blasting is not something done commonly in Europe but as I understand it is less likely to cause a problem over here because of the better quality of the gas? (That's just what I heard)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #42
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I just installed my brand new COBB V3 and took the car for a ride. It was a huge delight but after a while I got into some problems that I need advice on.

I was driving for about an hour on highway and other roads and pushing the car, no problems. Then I tried the "0-100 kmh performance measure" feature once with no problem but on the second run, exactly when I shift from 2nd to 3rd the car sort of brakes in, cuts power and start vibrating and I also got some smell in the cabin of something burnt. No warning lights on the display though. I slowly drive to the side, steering wheel shaking and car almost doesn't respond to throttle input, stop the engine and restart and it runs fine. I check codes and have the two following:

P2AAF
P29DC

I clear them, also resets ECU learning and codes and push the car again. Now this time I don't dare to do 0-100 times but try to go on 2nd gear WOT from about 2500rpm up to about 6000 before shifting to 3rd , going WOT through this one and then shifting to 4th and slowly braking. No problems occur but I see that error code P2AAF is there once again.

After some searching on the forums I find some indications on that I need to change the Low Pressure Fuel Pump but some also say it's nothing to worry about and "normal with COBB". What do you guys think?

I will try to list the parameters I can think of that might be of interest t

I use:
* Stg1 LT Sport I480S v401
* aFe Cold Air Intake (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag..._installed.jpg)
* VRSF 7" FMIC
* VRSF Charge Pipe
* Shell 98+ octane (as per Euro metrics), never ran anything below 98 octane the last 4 years.
* About 40389 miles on spark plugs (about 65000 km)

I will try to log also soon, I realized that the logs will help a lot...

So what do you guys think? Ignore it or do some maintenance already?!? Walnut Blasting is not something done commonly in Europe but as I understand it is less likely to cause a problem over here because of the better quality of the gas? (That's just what I heard)
I don't know what is wrong but at 40k miles your spark plugs could definitely use replacing. That is starting to stretch it stock, on a tune you are bound to have problems.

Also not sure about better gas reducing the need to walnut blast. Since the reason we have to walnut blast in the first place is because the fuel does not wash the valves anymore like in normal engines I kind of doubt it would have anything to do with it but I have been wrong before

Last edited by deathbunny; 09-25-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #43
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10 Gen 2, Tesla Plaid

Last edited by SQ5; 03-13-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0