Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Giving Back to Forum - Conti DWS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Fapster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I Convertible

Giving Back to Forum - Conti DWS

Folks, I have a e93 with 230 (19") wheels and the Sport option. I have changed my run flats out at 20,000 miles due to my second set of rears wearing on the inside. I went with the Conti DWS and have not looked back. I put 235/35/19 & 265/30/19 on the car. At 50k, I had to replace them (due to inside wear). Now at 80k, I had to replace them. I did go with the 275/30/19 this time and I have had no issues, no rubbing, etc.

I hope this may help someone in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
srSheepdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i - Montego Blue

How's traction compared to the OEM RFT's?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by srSheepdog View Post
How's traction compared to the OEM RFT's?
+1

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
kacki
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X535D, 2011 E93 IS

Hope this thread is not too old to revive.

OP, thanks for your give-back. It so happens that I am in nearly the same (original) situation as you. My 2011 E93 with 19s is an IS though, but I think the suspension is the same as the M-Sport setup in the 335 non-IS?

Anyway, my oem RFT (Potenza RE050) are shot at 6500 (yes 65 hundred) miles (rears), fronts are ok and I know that is expected, to wear faster than fronts, but seriously, 6500 miles?). Probably for the best as they are hard riding. Yes I know, it's a performance car, yada yada, but I am kinda ready for a softer ride to and from work and would give up some sharpness for that. From all I've read, DWS is that tire. (I used to work from home but now commute 45 miles a day, and what was ok for a weekend toy is not ok for a DD.) I LOVE the car though and can't imagine getting anything else that compares, especially now that BMW has sissyfied the 3 series.

Now, I would like to upsize the tires to 245/35 in front and 265/30 rear. This should not pose a problem according to people at DTD I've talked to, but it does increase the sidewall height slightly, putting more rubber between me and the road, which should translate to a bit more comfort.

So what is the question? Well, just that I've read that the DWS may feel too mushy? I have actually driven DWS before, for a week on my old G35 before I traded it in for this car, and my daughter's Golf. In both cars I experienced this 'slowness' of turning that was not disagreeable, just different and something to get used to. But this car is in a different league, so am still doing my homework.

No tracking or racing btw. Only the occasional tire squeal (can't call it a burnout). Thanks for listening guys, would love to read your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacki View Post
Hope this thread is not too old to revive.

Now, I would like to upsize the tires to 245/35 in front and 265/30 rear. This should not pose a problem according to people at DTD I've talked to, but it does increase the sidewall height slightly, putting more rubber between me and the road, which should translate to a bit more comfort.
If you put the above sizes, you will have front wheels at 25.75 inches, nearly half an inch taller than the rears at 25.26 inches. It is over 1 percent difference front to back and could potentially further screw up your speedo readings. You will also be looking like the back end is sagging due to the height difference, so you would be looking at the sky, rather than the road (exaggerating and kidding). 235/35F, 275/30R is perfect for 19-inch wheels, where the rears are taller than the front by .02 inches. Try the tire rack calculator at the top of this forum to determine the correct size, and you can't go wrong.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0