E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Heat Shield rattling?

08-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
FNV
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330xi

So far so good, the rattles are gone.
Just take to the dealer and make sure the tech hears the rattle, and it should be an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
gobo335i
Toy Wrangler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - GoCart on Steroids

OK! UPDATE! Check this out...

My car is at the dealer, on 2nd day. They call and say they acknowledge there is a noise and can't find it themselves, so they called BMW engineers. It was recommended by BMW engineers that they test drive other manual 335i's and listen for the sound. They tell me that the other 335i's did not have the sound so they want to keep my car for another day or two to find it.

2 days later I get a call saying that they couldn't find the sound, so they called the BMW engineers and were told to drive similar cars and listen for the sound. So they drove similar cars and NOW they heard the same sound! So they determined it was supposed to be there and everything is just fine! WTF!?! (no lie...complete change of story)

I finally got to talk to the shop foreman and he tells me that after driving a manual for a while, the "satellite gears" get loose and make a little noise if the clutch is not disengaged at low rpm's (or when shutting down the engine). Funny thing is my car has done this since I got it so there was no "wear in" period needed to get the sounds. WTF again!!

I filed a report with BMWNA and it's all documented, so if my tranny fraggs, they will have my history of chasing the issue/sound. But it still bugs that the dealer changed their story so blatantly. Super shifty.

As a note...BMWNA said that I was the first to report such a sound/issue.
      08-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #25
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Gobo335i

kinda same story with me...

they found a noise and said it wasnt normal... opened a puma case and bmw took a look and said they had no fix yet. when i called back later the service mgr stated all manuals have this noise however they were still working on it.
he mentioned harmonics in the engine or trans was the noise.

I do hear a noise with the manual when i disengage the clutch sometimes when stopped and shutting down the engine. this noise to me sounds normal.

dunno man, we'll see... im going to call dealer next week and start talking about opening a service ticket, request the puma number, status update, mention head oil circulation and inquire if this sound is similar to the 330 rattling problem.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
bmwtech209
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Smile everyoene

hello,i had this rattle everyone seems to describe it sounded like it came from under the car(by the transmission) and after i got under the car and took of all of the bottom shields and nothing no rattle pooped the hood and seen the manifold flap shaking and got a screw driver and held it no noise so i havent figured out how to tighten it if you need help identifing it let me no its right under valve cover little mettle flap.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #27
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtech209 View Post
hello,i had this rattle everyone seems to describe it sounded like it came from under the car(by the transmission) and after i got under the car and took of all of the bottom shields and nothing no rattle pooped the hood and seen the manifold flap shaking and got a screw driver and held it no noise so i havent figured out how to tighten it if you need help identifing it let me no its right under valve cover little mettle flap.
1st post FAIL! You just revived a 3 year old thread.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0