E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How to make M-steering wheel matte again?

07-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Now you guys who are successfully using the magic eraser....I think maybe in your case the shine isnt just stuff ON the wheel, its the leather itself being worn down to a smooth finish, in your case the magic eraser roughs up the smooth surface enough to make it look matte again....totally different method of action, similar finished look.
This is my take on what's been described also.

In my case a lot of my experiences come from perpetually maintaining/restoring my 1998 E39 which I had until a year ago. After that many years/miles it's not just frappacinos Other than some driver's seat wear, others described it as very "showroom" until the end.

Off topic: the people posting about 2007s being too old to be reliable and worrying about 45k being "high mileage" make me chuckle in that context.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
I recently used leatherique on my wifes X5 steering wheel that was all smooth and shiny from hand lotion, hand sanitizer, frapacinos, and whatever else she gets on there, The results speak for themselves: Obviously it came out good because there was gunk ON the wheel, if yours is worn through or something, no amount of cleaning is going to help....

Now you guys who are successfully using the magic eraser....I think maybe in your case the shine isnt just stuff ON the wheel, its the leather itself being worn down to a smooth finish, in your case the magic eraser roughs up the smooth surface enough to make it look matte again....totally different method of action, similar finished look.
I would agree with everything you said. In fact, my wife has an X5 as well and as it's a 2011, I probably would probably not grab the ME first. BUT, the OP has a steering wheel as "shiny as a sausage" which was unfazed by a cleaner. I love leatherique as well but if his wheel looks anything like any of the links I posted I stand by my comment the leatherique will do little or nothing to improve them - as you said, once they get that worn/shiny.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Magic eraser wont get rid off dye, you had to use dye remover
lol sheedi, your replies always kill me
      07-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
lol sheedi, your replies always kill me
I do it for fun
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Ok, I had the same problem with my M3 steering wheel...shiny in certain areas. This weekend, all I did is moisten a microfiber towel with HOT water and gave a few passes around the steering wheel. I was amazed at the difference it made and how much dirt and contamination came out on the towel. I'd say its about 90% better than it was before...nice matte feel
I used some type of trim restorer before which did nothing. So before attacking it with cleaning products, just a simple hot towel can do the trick
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Ok, I had the same problem with my M3 steering wheel...shiny in certain areas. This weekend, all I did is moisten a microfiber towel with HOT water and gave a few passes around the steering wheel. I was amazed at the difference it made and how much dirt and contamination came out on the towel. I'd say its about 90% better than it was before...nice matte feel
I used some type of trim restorer before which did nothing. So before attacking it with cleaning products, just a simple hot towel can do the trick
Yes, This does a pretty good job, I do this regularly as well. I did the leatherique thing to get a "deeper" clean and get some conditioners into the leather (plus I was doing the rest of my interior anyway).

Plain water, a microfiber, and some elbow grease, gets it pretty clean but the conditioners softened it quite a bit, and made it more resilient/less likely to scratch.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, This does a pretty good job, I do this regularly as well. I did the leatherique thing to get a "deeper" clean and get some conditioners into the leather (plus I was doing the rest of my interior anyway).

Plain water, a microfiber, and some elbow grease, gets it pretty clean but the conditioners softened it quite a bit, and made it more resilient/less likely to scratch.
Good to know. Yeah, I've got leatherique as well but didn't apply it. I'll put some on next time at the end if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #30
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Gonna try the hot water and towel on my m-sport. I use oil for my body so it takes a toll.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #31
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Believe it or not, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
thatll do the trick!