E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JL AMP/SUB + LOGIC 7-HELP-Think i screwed something up

07-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
rvruggiero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sport Premium

JL AMP/SUB + LOGIC 7-HELP-Think i screwed something up

Just installed a JL 500/1 Amp+ JL W3 sub. I had this combo before in my G35 trunk...it sounded incredible. This sounds horrible. Think something is off. First when i turn on the car...i hear a super slight pop from the sub. It works fine thereafter. It just doesnt sound good to me. I have the gain about 1/3 the way up. The sub is in a custom built corner enclosure. I bought a PAC SOEM-T 2-Channel Premium Line-Out Converter with Remote Turn-On Trigger from amazon. This is hooked up using the diagram technic gave me since i bought an LOC separately given his full product was out of stock-he offered just the harness and I bought the PAC separately.

I tried switching the RCA cables that the LOC outputs to and that sounded exactly the same to me.

In addition, the subwoofers under the front seats are not working at all...so the sound sounds unbalanced...the subwoofer sounds muted in my trunk and the base is not hitting with perfect response and certainly doesnt sound musical.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvruggiero View Post

In addition, the subwoofers under the front seats are not working at all...so the sound sounds unbalanced...the subwoofer sounds muted in my trunk and the base is not hitting with perfect response and certainly doesnt sound musical.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
1) Take a look at the harness itself.
2) You should see (3) sub connectors. They are shown in the diagram sent to you as Harness Male Jack 1 and Harness Female Socket 2.
3) Plug them together
4) Unplug sub connector 3 (the LOC connector)

If this does not make your woofers sound then there is a problem with your OEM amp. If your woofers start sounding then there is a problem with the LOC wiring to the harness.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
rvruggiero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok I plugged 1 & 2 together. The OEM subs under the front seats are working now. The new sub and amp are working as well..but still doesnt sound accurate, loud, or musical. If I turn it up, it just sounds like it's forcing sound...not accurate, not tight, etc.

Here's what I did...I used your wiring diagram...

I cut off the white connector end part for the LOC # 3...and used those red tap-ins and connected the Right +/- and the Left +/-

I also connected the audio ground on the LOC input to the pink ground..but that's it.

The PAC LOC instructions also say do a chassis ground on the LOC Output side?

I've sent pictures of all of this to your email..I'd appreciate any further help you can provide. Thanks!

Robert
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

There was no need of tapping or cutting anything... the whole purpose of the harness was to plug in the LOC to it with the included pigtail (connector 3 in the diagram sent to you).

Sorry.

Quote:
Ok I plugged 1 & 2 together. The OEM subs under the front seats are working now. The new sub and amp are working as well..but still doesnt sound accurate, loud, or musical. If I turn it up, it just sounds like it's forcing sound...not accurate, not tight, etc.

Here's what I did...I used your wiring diagram...

I cut off the white connector end part for the LOC # 3...and used those red tap-ins and connected the Right +/- and the Left +/-

I also connected the audio ground on the LOC input to the pink ground..but that's it.

The PAC LOC instructions also say do a chassis ground on the LOC Output side?

I've sent pictures of all of this to your email..I'd appreciate any further help you can provide. Thanks!

Robert
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
rvruggiero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did not see any connectors---which is why I thought I had to tap in...All I received was the harness..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I did not see any connectors---which is why I thought I had to tap in...All I received was the harness..
A harness, two connector pigtails and a detailed diagram with photos of such pigtails and their schematics was sent to you... check the USPS envelope, please.
Appreciate 0