E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 60k Maintance

02-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
E94
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

60k Maintance

Hey guys, I know topics like these have been discussed many times, but I am just trying to get your opinions/experiences on a few things. If you have had any of these done feel free to chime in on the differences it made, if any.

Since I am approaching 60k miles on my 335xi I am compiling a list of things that I should change (or at least I think I should change). I intend on keeping the car past the 100k point.

1. Oil change, cabin filter, spark plugs
I am due for this at 60k anyway, been doing oil every 7,500 miles/once a year since its purchase at 40k miles.

Now is where I might need some assistance, I understand these are considered "lifetime" fluids, but from what I have seen online the trans and diff oil could use a changing every certain amount of miles. I havent really looking into fluid brands yet, but I plan on using OEM or equal/better quality fluids.

2. Transmission Fluid (automatic)

3. Differential Oil (front, center, and rear?)

4. What else would you recommend? (walnut blasting, coolant flush, ...?)

Most of the fluids DIY's sound pretty straightforward

Last edited by E94; 08-27-2014 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by E94
Hey guys, I know topics like these have been discussed many times, but I am just trying to get your opinions/experiences on a few things. If you have had any of these done feel free to chime in on the differences it made, if any.

First things first, I think I would rate my self a solid 2/10 with a wrench

Since I am approaching 60k miles on my 335xi I am compiling a list of things that I should change (or at least I think I should change). I intend on keeping the car past the 100k point.

1. Oil change, cabin filter, spark plugs (this, I can handle! haha)
I am due for this at 60k anyway, been doing oil every 7,500 miles/once a year since its purchase at 40k miles.

Now is where I might need some assistance, I understand these are considered "lifetime" fluids, but from what I have seen online the trans and diff oil could use a changing every certain amount of miles. I havent really looking into fluid brands yet, but I plan on using OEM or equal/better quality fluids.

2. Transmission Fluid (automatic)

3. Differential Oil (front, center, and rear?)

4. What else would you recommend? (walnut blasting, coolant flush, ...?)

Most of the fluids DIY's sound pretty straightforward. I also own a Pela oil extractor so that should help with the process.
First off upgrade your wrenching to about 10/10. Lol

1. Do this as usual. Add engine air filter

2. & 3. Do these later on at around the 80k mark is my opinion. By the then your confidence in wrenching might be up there too. Straight a forward DIYS in these as well.

4. Walnut blasting, yes. Coolant flush, check the fluid level in the reservoir. If it is low go ahead and flush it. Replace your serpentine belt (And idler pulley if necessary).
      02-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post

2. & 3. Do these later on at around the 80k mark is my opinion. By the then your confidence in wrenching might be up there too. Straight a forward DIYS in these as well.

4. Walnut blasting, yes. Coolant flush, check the fluid level in the reservoir. If it is low go ahead and flush it. Replace your serpentine belt (And idler pulley if necessary).
Yeah, during my research i have seen a a lot of people say do it in the 60-80k range. Have you done it yet? Like you said, I may need to build up my confidence to do some of the more labor intensive maintenance haha

I wonder if I could somehow convince my SA that my car needs the walnut blasting (since I am still covered under cpo)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Remember ATF change only replace about half of the fluid. For this reason I like to do mine around 30k to 50k.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
simpleM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
You don't need to change your transmission as it is not required maintenance. The tranny fluid is lifetime. Call your dealer, I didn't believe it until i called several dealerships which all said the same thing
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
E94
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
Remember ATF change only replace about half of the fluid. For this reason I like to do mine around 30k to 50k.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple335i View Post
You don't need to change your transmission as it is not required maintenance. The tranny fluid is lifetime. Call your dealer, I didn't believe it until i called several dealerships which all said the same thing
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading something that said BMW's lifetime fluids are technically only good until 100k. Also from a few DIY's I have seen the fluid that was removed was in pretty bad condition.

Im also curious to see if some of the high mileage AT E9x's have replaced it or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by E94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post

Yeah, during my research i have seen a a lot of people say do it in the 60-80k range. Have you done it yet? Like you said, I may need to build up my confidence to do some of the more labor intensive maintenance haha

I wonder if I could somehow convince my SA that my car needs the walnut blasting (since I am still covered under cpo)
I haven't as yet but do plan on doing it myself in a few months. I'm at 94k miles and the car feels pretty good shifting wise. The thing is though that the DIYs for replacing the fluids aren't really hard, it's about the tools you need and and torque the bolts to the right specs and that's mostly where the problem lies in all.

The wrenching stuff though the more you do the more confident you become honestly. Don't be scared just get the right tools and you should be good.
      02-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
If you don't intend keeping your car long term, this is good advice. But if you do, then regular fluid changes (transmission, diff, coolant) are definitely a worthwhile investment...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
simpleM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
That may be correct, IDK. I'm in the same boat as you trying to understand what the proper maintenance timeline is for these cars. I find it hard to believe that it's "lifetime," but that's what the dealers are telling us. I've never owned a car, new or old, that had a "lifetime" fluid/oil expectancy.

Maybe someone that has had their car for a while and has run into this can provide more insight.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
There is a method available to change it all; however this requires a bit more work and lots of hoses, etc.

Quote:
The dealerships you talked to are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E94 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading something that said BMW's lifetime fluids are technically only good until 100k. Also from a few DIY's I have seen the fluid that was removed was in pretty bad condition. .
BMW changed from "lifetime" too 100K miles for ATF changes sometime in 2008/9, admitting they were wrong. Look in your service and maintenance booklet - it clearly states 100K miles: it's on page 10 of mine. Trouble is, many service depts don't know or care.
Appreciate 0