E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Registering an aftermarket battery at the dealer?

02-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328 6MT

Registering an aftermarket battery at the dealer?

The original battery in my 2007 e92 328i started to get weak during the extreme cold this winter, so I began looking into replacement options before it failed. After doing a little research here, it was no surprise when I was quoted $246 for an OEM lead acid battery, and $188 for installation + tax, etc. During my research, I saw enough info on the registration process to consider it legit, but felt I could get a quality battery installed and registered for much less than the dealer's quote.

I decided to purchase an DieHard AGM group size 49 with 850 cca, 92ah for about $150 and found an independent shop to install that seemed familiar with the registration process. They work on a variety of European cars, but mostly older models. In the end, they installed the battery but determined they did not have the proper software to register it, which was very disappointing and the sole reason I took the car to them.

My question is: would your dealership register an aftermarket battery and if so how much did it cost? I left a message with my SA to see what it would cost to simply register the battery, and let the car know I have replaced a lead acid with AGM. I did not hear back and followed up a few days later, still no answer. Not sure if they are that busy this week, or just don't want to bother with this. The quoted labor on the install works out to about 1.5 hours - I was hoping the registration portion was 0.5 hours of the job @ $120/hr.

For any more than that, I would consider investing in a Bavarian Tech tool and doing it myself. Unfortunately, the only other independent shop in my area that works on BMW had no idea what I was talking about with battery registration process, although they seem to have the proper diagnostic tools to service a E9x....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I doubt it...your best bet at this point is to pick up a ~$20 cable and have someone on this site remote into your laptop, etc. and program the battery for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
joe__
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

My local dealer (Connecticut, BMW of North Haven) registered a battery I bought and installed from Wal Mart.

I just called and made an appointment telling them all I wanted was the battery registered. If I remember correctly they charged me 1/2 hour of labor. Total bill was approximately 80 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe__ View Post
My local dealer (Connecticut, BMW of North Haven) registered a battery I bought and installed from Wal Mart.

I just called and made an appointment telling them all I wanted was the battery registered. If I remember correctly they charged me 1/2 hour of labor. Total bill was approximately 80 bucks.
Thanks - that is what I'm hoping to hear back from the SA, but any more than 0.5 hours and I've to decided to pick up the BT single VIN for $179.

Last edited by cxc511; 02-16-2014 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxc511 View Post
Thanks - that is what I'm hoping to hear back from the SA, but any more than 0.5 hours and I've to decided to pick up the BT single VIN for $179.
AFAIK with the BT cable you can't "reprogram" a battery with different specs than the one you took out. All the BT cable will do is reset battery adaptations; two totally different things.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
AFAIK with the BT cable you can't "reprogram" a battery with different specs than the one you took out. All the BT cable will do is reset battery adaptations; two totally different things.
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the dealer will take care of this for $65, so for that much I will just have them do it. I'll have to do some addtional research on the capability of the BT tool for future reference.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep

Update: because my new battery was AGM and not lead acid, the dealership charged an hour of labor to register and change the settings. Half an hour would have applied if I had used a battery with the same settings as the OEM. However, during my visit to the dealership I learned the shop that installed the battery (at no cost) did not reconnect the IBS. Also, the tech that worked on my car fixed my emergency release handle in the trunk that was hanging loose from when I had to take the trunk liner off to replace a bulb in the trunk lid while he had the car.

Based on my experience, I think the best bet for those facing battery replacement is to: 1) buy a good aftermarket battery but stick with the same battery type that came with your car, 2) install it yourself based on the DIYs that are out there, 3) find a source: dealer, independent shop, or someone with a BT tool to register your new battery. You should be able to replace your battery for $180 or less while ensuring it is properly integrated to your car's electronic systems.
Appreciate 0