E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > halogen to xenon

12-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

halogen to xenon

hello guys i need help!!!
so i bought me a pair of adaptive xenon headlight with ballast and module.
when i hook the headlights only halo works but not hids!! is this normal? i mean do i have to do some coding?? (i do have dcan cable so i can do some coding) if yes can anyone help me with coding like what i need to do? thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

There's a DIY on this forum if you search for it. I wrote my own DIY for someone recently that's kind of an amendment to the other DIY, but you have to use it together with the other one, so it's not confusing, because I did leave out some steps in mine that were explained better in the other...

Anyway, there's two things you'll need to do.

1. Code the car for xenon first "Changing the Vehicle Order (VO)" by adding $522 to the FA string in the VO.

2. Code out all bulb checks within the headlight, including turn signal and parking lamp and of course high beam and low beam.

Here's some of my tutorial for Step #1. First, please review the Change Vehicle Order PDF that's in the coding section of this forum. Then proceed to review my process. Otherwise, you won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Here's what you want to do:

1. Install the headlights and enjoy the xenon.
2. Adjust the aim of your headlights using the adjustment arms that require a Philips screwdriver.
3. Connect the coding cable normally, and open NCSExpert with your profile as normal.
4. After you click CAS module in the beginning, you'll get to the screen where you see the Chassis, the FG (VIN), the FA string with all the $ signs and hash marks and numbers, and the "Get Coded" at the bottom with every module listed.
5. Click Process ECU and select CAS from the submodules.
6. Click Read ECU.
7. Once it is read, open your TRC file in notepad, clear it out blank, and save it as your MAN file.
8. Do the coapiRead and SG_CODIEREN stuff like normal. This will set the CAS submodule back to stock.
9. Click the F1 button which will allow you to change the ECU.
10. Select your chassis again (if it makes you do that) then select NFRM from the submodule listing.
11. Repeat steps 6-8 to set the NFRM submodule back to stock.
12. Back out with the F6 button Zur/Back, and you should see the window I talked about in step 4.
13. Press F1 VIN/ZCS/FA
14. Press F2 Enter FA
15. Choose the chassis E89
16. The VIN should auto-fill in the field... make sure Calculate checksum is NOT CHECKED and click OK.
17. Type $522 in the Attribute field and click "Add"
18. Scroll down the list to make sure it was added.
19. Click OK
20. Press F6 Back
21. Press F4 Process ECU and select CAS submodule.
22. Press F2 Change Job and select FA_WRITE
23. Execute Job
24. Once job has ended, press F2 Change Job and select SG_CODIEREN and Execute Job.
25. Once job has ended, you should be able to select F1 to change the ECU and select NFRM.
25. Repeat steps 13-20.
26. Press F4 Process ECU and select NFRM submodule.
27. Repeat steps 22-24.

That should change the VO for you and give you the proper codes when you go back in and Read the NFRM from the new VO.

After you have done your normal read of the NFRM ECU submodule. Open your TRC, save it as MAN like normal, and do this:

Search for the self leveling line of code AUTO_LWR_ENABLE and change to nicht_aktiv

To enable inner halogen light as high beam and essentially reactivate the bixenon...

Search for
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03

Change it to
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01

Coding for xenon is complete. You can now go back and add all your cool features again and disable all the bulb checks, etc.

Step #2
Please Review this post I wrote http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=83
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

There is a few things you must do to get the OEM Lights to work. Coding is one part, but you need to do some modifications to the OEM headlights (small wiring)

1) Wiring Modifications:

Wiring needs to be done because the negative pin used on the xenon lights, is not in the same spot as the halogen headlight.

Your Lowbeam xenons are not turning on because there is no complete circuit (aftermarket headlights don't have this issue cause the lights are built usign the same pin configuration for a halogen setup. Either way, the mod is soo simple to do and worth it with OEM lights.

Some members have done a great job setting up a DIY for this part. All credit goes to them for getting all the wiring information:

There is 2 ways of doing this part. The first way is doing the modifications outside of the headlights.
Take a look at this DIY: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...non+conversion

The second was is to mod the wires internally in the headlight (the way I wanted to do it so it keeps things hidden and clean).

I lost my DIY pm (with pictures) for this part, but I can explain it.
-Look in the headlight.
- Look for the yellow and black wire that leads to the ballast
-locate the brown wire that located on your high beam.
-Using a butt connector, connect the black and brown wire together (be sure to connect them closest to the headlight connector so you have some slack when you need to replace the bulbs

That is pretty much it. If you want to get yout xenon highbeam working, please follow the link above and read the section of enabling the bi-xenon feature. Make sure your halogen high beam is not set to DRL mode (code it off or change it to your AE).

That is what is required for wiring modifications.

2) Coding Car
Install the xenon headlights and then proceed with coding your car.

Here is another DIY if you need it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=desi4life10

If you do decide to do the bi-xenon feature (xenon high beam), make sure you code the PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON lines according to the DIY.

This will allow you to get your highbeams back when you do the conversion.

Last edited by DESI4life10; 12-17-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank You Sooo Much Trev And Desi!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Coding is one part but not the only thing for OEM light conversion.

Make sure you do part 1 in order to get the xenons to turn on. You can test this without the need to code first by plugging the connector to the headlight (for testing purpose). In case you wanted to make sure they work first before taking the bumper off etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so after coding will i see any error(s)?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Nope. You will be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Nope. You will be good to go.
Desi is right about the wiring. Coding will get rid of all your errors, but to get the lights to function properly, the wiring must be done first and done right. I bought my lights pre-wired for bixenon, angel eyes, etc., so all I had to do was code.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so i was doing some research last night and found out about auto leveling???
i know since i wont have adaptive feature where it moves right and left. will i at least have auto leveling? thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Auto leveling requires you to retrofit the module on the fron and rear lower control arm. You then need to route the wires into your fRM (light) module etc. Basically it requires more work and you need to confirm if you frm module as slos reserved for this module retrofit.

I decided to disable the self levelling lines as I didn't want to go through the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

gotcha! thank you once again!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Virterm
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
If you want to get yout xenon highbeam working, please follow the link above and read the section of enabling the bi-xenon feature. Make sure your halogen high beam is not set to DRL mode (code it off or change it to your AE).

If you do decide to do the bi-xenon feature (xenon high beam), make sure you code the PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON lines according to the DIY.

I will be retrofitting non-adaptive lights, so I will not have any halogen bulbs there, just bi-xenon. I understand that wiring changes for bi-xenon is required, but do I still need to make changes to PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON ???
Also, if I make sure that high beam is not set to DRL mode, will I have a problem with xenon stutter not working properly at 6V? Or should I be ok, since high beam will operate at normal voltage (12V)?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virterm View Post
I will be retrofitting non-adaptive lights, so I will not have any halogen bulbs there, just bi-xenon. I understand that wiring changes for bi-xenon is required, but do I still need to make changes to PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON ???
Also, if I make sure that high beam is not set to DRL mode, will I have a problem with xenon stutter not working properly at 6V? Or should I be ok, since high beam will operate at normal voltage (12V)?
Yes you still need to make the changes to the line as you will use lose your highbeam.

And by not shutting the drl off, you will hear a humming noise from the shutter and it will turn off once you flash the high beam. It will happen at every startup until you flash it or if you turn the DRL off.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Virterm
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes you still need to make the changes to the line as you will use lose your highbeam.

And by not shutting the drl off, you will hear a humming noise from the shutter and it will turn off once you flash the high beam. It will happen at every startup until you flash it or if you turn the DRL off.
Thank you,
Do you have any suggestions about 3 little LEDs (pin 7 I believe)? Should I just wire them to run together with AE (pin 1)? Or perhaps I should just keep them off? Also, what is the best method to make wiring changes inside the housing? Can I get the actual socket (for wiring harness) out of the housing, so soldering could be done, or should I just splice actual wires?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

i have a lil problem with my shutter once in while it doesnt wanna open up fully seems like too much power or not enough power anyone know how to fix this problem. I did change this line but still no luck..i have the lci non adaptive lights. And i did all the wiring and installed the self leveling but cant seems to get that working..when i coded the car with $522 i never got the self leveling error so i'm guessing i mite need a different frm maybe frm3 right now i have frm2 the car came with halogen.
This is the line i changed to get the shutter working.
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #16
Virterm
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.soori View Post
i have a lil problem with my shutter once in while it doesnt wanna open up fully seems like too much power or not enough power anyone know how to fix this problem. I did change this line but still no luck..i have the lci non adaptive lights. And i did all the wiring and installed the self leveling but cant seems to get that working..when i coded the car with $522 i never got the self leveling error so i'm guessing i mite need a different frm maybe frm3 right now i have frm2 the car came with halogen.
This is the line i changed to get the shutter working.
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01
I believe you just need to make sure that your high beam (bi-xenon setup) is not configured to be part of AE? With Halo AE, you get high beam dimmed by powering the bulb at lower voltage (6V???), in case of a shutter; you have a problem as shutter struggles to operate at low voltage. If you disable high beams as AE, you will always provide full 12V to your high beam, thus most likely your problem will be eliminated. I am still waiting for my lux, so can not really test it, plus I need to modify the wiring before changing my lights.

Last edited by Virterm; 05-18-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
O YAH EH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

i did the wiring mod, and thank you so much. but, i turn the headlights on with the car not running, all is well. i start the car, the xenons stay on for a few seconds, then flicker, and shut off. is this because i have not had the car coded yet? before i go ripping off my bumper to install, i'd like to know if i am doing anything wrong. any help would be appreciated. thanx
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
O YAH EH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
There is a few things you must do to get the OEM Lights to work. Coding is one part, but you need to do some modifications to the OEM headlights (small wiring)

1) Wiring Modifications:

Wiring needs to be done because the negative pin used on the xenon lights, is not in the same spot as the halogen headlight.

Your Lowbeam xenons are not turning on because there is no complete circuit (aftermarket headlights don't have this issue cause the lights are built usign the same pin configuration for a halogen setup. Either way, the mod is soo simple to do and worth it with OEM lights.

Some members have done a great job setting up a DIY for this part. All credit goes to them for getting all the wiring information:

There is 2 ways of doing this part. The first way is doing the modifications outside of the headlights.
Take a look at this DIY: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...non+conversion

The second was is to mod the wires internally in the headlight (the way I wanted to do it so it keeps things hidden and clean).

I lost my DIY pm (with pictures) for this part, but I can explain it.
-Look in the headlight.
- Look for the yellow and black wire that leads to the ballast
-locate the brown wire that located on your high beam.
-Using a butt connector, connect the black and brown wire together (be sure to connect them closest to the headlight connector so you have some slack when you need to replace the bulbs

That is pretty much it. If you want to get yout xenon highbeam working, please follow the link above and read the section of enabling the bi-xenon feature. Make sure your halogen high beam is not set to DRL mode (code it off or change it to your AE).

That is what is required for wiring modifications.

2) Coding Car
Install the xenon headlights and then proceed with coding your car.

Here is another DIY if you need it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=desi4life10

massive help! cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Does anyone know if the MANUAL leveling will work? i.e. the adjuster wheel next to the light switch?

It's strange i can't find a single mention of this despite searching for hours!

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #20
vividck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 328 xdrive sedan

Just wonder where you bought the pre-wired lights.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Desi is right about the wiring. Coding will get rid of all your errors, but to get the lights to function properly, the wiring must be done first and done right. I bought my lights pre-wired for bixenon, angel eyes, etc., so all I had to do was code.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #21
RKP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS (F80)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Hey Guys I'm new here, I really want to change out my dull boring halogen headlights with xenons. My friend is selling his pair of oem xenons with Angel lights off his 335. I wanted to know am I able to install those on my car by replacing the halogen or do I need any special cables or coding done. He has the light and the ballasts. Please help!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #22
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
Hey Guys I'm new here, I really want to change out my dull boring halogen headlights with xenons. My friend is selling his pair of oem xenons with Angel lights off his 335. I wanted to know am I able to install those on my car by replacing the halogen or do I need any special cables or coding done. He has the light and the ballasts. Please help!!
Hello!
I forgot how to do this since its been a while but as far as i remember headlight is just plug and play. no special cable needed and yes do you need to get it coded like adding vo and such. btw when everything coded halo and xenon will work but adaptive wont work like headlight would move to the right left when you turn your steering wheel.
Appreciate 1