E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Midas for oil change?

01-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Midas for oil change?

So I wanted to get my cars oil changed, but there aren't any BMW dealerships nearby and I won't be able to make the trip out to one in the near future.

So what I was thinking of doing was purchasing my filter and oil online from tischer and then taking it to the local midas and having them do the oil change for me. Seeing that an oil change is a fairly simple task, would the people at midas perform a proper job and is there anything they might not know about the procedure for an e92 oil change, something like oiling the rings?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
i've always opted to do my own oil changes, so can't really say that i have any experience, but i would imagine that they know pretty well what needs to be done.

so i wouldn't worry to much, if not i would simply remind them of any other the concerns you have.
      02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Or just do it yourself, it's simple to do and saves you money.

Plus you can make sure it's done right. Also, you'll need to remember to reset the service indicator as they won't have the tools to do it themselves, unless they know how to use the control stalk to access the service menus.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
getBMWparts
Rep
Drives: BMW Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
So I wanted to get my cars oil changed, but there aren't any BMW dealerships nearby and I won't be able to make the trip out to one in the near future.

So what I was thinking of doing was purchasing my filter and oil online from tischer and then taking it to the local midas and having them do the oil change for me. Seeing that an oil change is a fairly simple task, would the people at midas perform a proper job and is there anything they might not know about the procedure for an e92 oil change, something like oiling the rings?
Here's a link to our Oil Change Kit Special. Why not try a DIY change this time around....and if you're not into it, then you can always take it and have it done elsewhere. You may actually find it enjoyable
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

Oil change on a BMW is not rocket science. My only worry would be #1 they don't have the prope wrench to unscrew the filter cap (using a strap wrench could encourage leaking where the filter housing meets the engine block) #2 improper tq applied to the drain plug and filter cap.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
I would do a DIY, but I'm not at home at the moment, I'm staying at a hotel until the end of feb and I'm not sure if waiting another 3 weeks for an oil change would be that smart.

Would it be a big deal? I will be driving about 1000 miles over those 3 weeks.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

Quote:
I would do a DIY, but I'm not at home at the moment, I'm staying at a hotel until the end of feb and I'm not sure if waiting another 3 weeks for an oil change would be that smart.

Would it be a big deal? I will be driving about 1000 miles over those 3 weeks.
it depends on how many miles you've driven. i'm not sure what the oil change schedule is on 335s, but for the 330 its every 15k or once a year, whatever comes first

and personally...i wouldnt get my oil changed anywhere but the dealer or a reputable bmw specialty shop
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
josephbet01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Oil is a no brainer, but I was looking around for someone to do a transmission flush and Monroe wanted to put Valvoline Max Life ATF in there. Couldn't tell me what specs that fluid met.

It requires Dexron VI spec.

Beware who you let touch the car. Some people have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
kai-wun
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic EP3

An oil change is quite a straightforward task, but things can go wrong.

Things like stripping the drain bolt, forgetting to prime/fill the filter, overtightening the filter, putting the wrong oil/amount. Etc.

I've heard a horror story where a quicklube place drained the MTF and flooded the engine oil. Needless to say, the car didn't last very long after that.

My independent mechanic (that I trust) only charges $10 to do an oil change if I provide the oil and filter. That might be better idea.
Appreciate 0