E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Rolling Race LFA vs GTR vs GT2 RS vs ZR1

05-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
I love the Zr1 Vette! What a machine. For a $375k "supercar", the LFA should be blowing away the "pedestrian" competition.. The carbon fiber bathtub seems to be just that in this video.
      05-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #46
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Once you reach a certain level of performance, a few tenths here and there aren't really noticeable. I'd personally take the LFA - I can't believe people would pass on a V10 that revs to 9,000 rpm. Sound is an incredibly important part of the driving experience, IMO. And the driving experience is my #1 priority when purchasing a car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #47
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

C'mon, are you really that insecure?

Anyway, the zr1's a pretty badass car, but i don't think that race was ideal for the GT2RS (assuming that it started in second gear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Wow, comparing a car which laps the Nordschleife in 7:26, ahead of many of the World top Sports cars to a Timex? And than calling it 'cheap and crude'.
"Cant drive it anywhere near its limit"? Maybe the owner of a soccer mom, grocery getter X3 cant come close but alot of drivers can and do.

I have a Rolex Submariner and a 610bhp S/C'd C6 Corvette. Neither are cheap or crude.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #48
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
What I currently drive has Zero to do with this discussion.

I originally responded to:

And I stand by what I said. The Corvette get's it's power from an engine that could be built out of a Summit or Jegs catalog. It's a huge, pushrod, cam-in-block, V-8 with a supercharger on it. To give it cudos over the rest without pointing out the huge disparity in engine size takes away from the superb engineering of the other cars. The next point is that, short of a race track, there is no place in the US to drive any of these cars anywhere near their limit. Which brings me to my final point.... Corvettes are not known for their high quality interiors. Why I don't know because the cars are not cheap and there doesn't seem to be a lot of R&D going into them like other car companies are doing. So since the other cars are exhilarating and have higher build quality my vote goes for anything but the Corvette.

My post followed the tone that was set by the above quoted remark. And I'll leave when I get good and ready.
Yeah, you said all that already. Yawn, Dont be redundant.
You may not know this based on your one track mind of attacking Corvette but the GT2 RS has a flat 6 engine that basically is the same design thats been in the car since 1965. It also has F/I like Corvette. With alot more boost that the ZR1 to make the power it does. Your unrational bias is obvious.
Not cheap? Corvette has been the "Bang for the buck" sports car since in inception in 05. There are very few sports cars that can compete with(not talking about how many grocery bags it carries). Look at the Nurburgring track times and see the cars it tops for a fraction of the price. Yup, they cut a corner here or there to keep the price down some. Doesnt bother me at all. I drive my car on long road trips and feel very cozy doing it.

"no place in the US to drive any of these cars anywhere near their limit."

I would expect to see this kind of statement on a prius website not an ultimate driving machine one!
Many of us do take our cars to race tracks and have a hell of alot of fun doing it.
Odd that someones who said twice already about not being able to drive it near their limitm blah,blah. would even enter a discussion and have such stubborn opinions about high powered sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #49
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
C'mon, are you really that insecure?

Anyway, the zr1's a pretty badass car, but i don't think that race was ideal for the GT2RS (assuming that it started in second gear).
Insecure because I like fast cars and nice time pieces? Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #50
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
Every one I've ever seen rolling down the road still had stock seats in it. My point is that you cannot use all that power, and speed, stuck in commuter traffic. You can't even use it legally on the wide open freeway.

At least if it has good fit, finish, ergonomics, a quiet cabin, and butter soft leather seats you can enjoy that all the time. Corvettes are not known for their high quality interiors yet they are not inexpensive.
Lulz then why did you get an X3?
Why didnt you get an RX350? Better fit, finish, ergonomics, a quiet cabin, butter soft leather seats and smoother ride quality than an X3. You cant even use it legally on the wide open freeway(155 MPH) and the power and speed is good enough for commuter traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #51
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
I love the Zr1 Vette! What a machine. For a $375k "supercar", the LFA should be blowing away the "pedestrian" competition.. The carbon fiber bathtub seems to be just that in this video.
I agree the LFA should be a lot faster...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #52
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Insecure because I like fast cars and nice time pieces? Not at all.
Thats a NICE pic..

Hey go on L4P.. They have a forum just for cars and watches...

http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/7...s-watches.html

They have some SICK pics.. ^^^

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #53
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Thats a NICE pic..

Hey go on L4P.. They have a forum just for cars and watches...

http://www.luxury4play.com/watches/7...s-watches.html

They have some SICK pics.. ^^^
Thanks.

I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #54
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I really... hope you're not... implying... that your 1... 35... is a... sports... car............
Ya a 135i is a sports car.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #55
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Ya a 135i is a sports car.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #56
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks.

I'll check it out.
L4P is a GREAT forum full of $$$ and a lot of friendly people... There is so much BS in these BMW forums it suck...

I love how people knock the Corvette ZR1. All day they will talk crap about it and when it comes to it preforming, its destroys almost everything.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #57
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL
So just because my car doesn't have a M on the back its not a sports car? Haha. You are making your self look like a fool.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #58
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
So just because my car doesn't have a M on the back its not a sports car? Haha. You are making your self look like a fool.
Did I ever say I drive a sports car? Try not to put words in my mouth while you struggle not to put an ellipse between every other word. Our cars are nothing more than sporty luxury sedans minus two doors.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #59
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did I ever say I drive a sports car? Try not to put words in my mouth while you struggle not to put an ellipse between every other word. Our cars are nothing more than sporty luxury sedans minus two doors.
Ok, you can keep thinking that but its definitely not an A ta B car. Plus I think there would be a lot of people on the 135 forum that would disagree.

There are a ton of car magazines that love the mazda miata and call it a great sports car. (Some mags have liked it over porsches on the track)

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #60
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Take a look at this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #61
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Why didnt you get an RX350? Better fit, finish, ergonomics, a quiet cabin, butter soft leather seats and smoother ride quality than an X3. You cant even use it legally on the wide open freeway(155 MPH) and the power and speed is good enough for commuter traffic.
The seats were not as supportive as BMW seats. I went to a local auto show and tried everything in my price range. The ride height of the X3 coupled with BMW's very supportive, ergonomically correct, seats won out. I broke my back in the Army in 1988.
Attached Images

Last edited by rs6655; 05-16-2011 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #62
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
You may not know this based on your one track mind of attacking Corvette but the GT2 RS has a flat 6 engine that basically is the same design thats been in the car since 1965.
Yep OHC. Makes the Vette technology even more dated.

Let me set the record straight..... I know a lot about cars. I date back to 6 volt batteries, point ignitions, point type voltage regulators, ballast resistors, generators and I know what a dwell angle and 009 advance distributor is. I've rebuilt more engines than I can count. And that includes Big Healey's, Triumphs, MG's, a Porsche 912 pushrod 4, many VW's, big and small block GM's, a couple of Ford 302's, a 318 Dodge and one Cockshuut tractor. So don't even try to tell me about engines or cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #63
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

The only thing stopping me from a Corvette is the styling... Too simplistic; just a wedge with no artistic flare at all. Performance... Sure, I'll give Chevy that but nothing else. Every person stepping out of a Corvette is an overweight, middle-aged man who blocks the single lane in the canyons; no thanks.
      05-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #64
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. If a 135i is a sports car, then what is an M3? A supercar?

BMW makes great vehicles, but I would not consider any of their current vehicle line a true sports car (aside from maybe the GTS). I personally consider a sports car something that is purpose-built for performance. All of the current BMW's are sedans or GTs at best, as they are all heavily compromised to afford luxury and convenience.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #65
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
Have you ever driven an X3? There's no doubt that it is a compromised vehicle, but it 1.) Handles exceptionally well for an SUV 2.) Is rather comfortable (for the driver and front passenger, in any case and 3.) Is far more practical than most BWWs, aside from a wagon or an X5. My experience is with the pre-'11 X3s in any case - I've not driven the new X3 as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #66
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Quote:
I WHANNA SHOUW U THE REEAL QUALITY OF A HUAND AVER THE LANZE...
They can't even properly film themselves making fun of the car...
"I want to show you the quality of an American super-car." Thanks for coming and remember class, LISTEN and COMPREHEND!
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0