E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

06-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #397
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graduated to a 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_328xi View Post
ok, so I got the Dynavin working. It was a bad fuse connection. The fuse slot in the directions did not work, so I kept trying different ones until I got one to work.

Now I have a few problems:

1. When I go to the gps it shows up in what looks like chinese. I remember someone else had a problem with that but I don't remember the solution.

2. My Steering wheel buttons do not work, which sucks!

3. My headphone jack in the center console does not work. I have my sirius radio plugged into it, which I need to fix! Is this only my setup or does this no longer work?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks
1. I think i got to a screen where i could change it but just messing with it for a few minutes. Somebody has pictures around though, i know i have seen them.

2. Check the IR IN connection and where it meets the CANBUS box.

3. It doesnt work with the OEM one but you can get some RCA to 3.5mm and connect the RCA to the Aux input and then mount the 3.5mm to a female to female and use the stock location to achieve the same effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #398
megaman416
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Help! I installed my unit last night and I'm not getting any volume/sound from the speakers...

Everything else seems to work. I'm thinking I may have Logic 7 and didn't realize it. How can I tell? Would the harness still plug in???

I bought the unit off a seller on ebay so there is also the remote chance of an issue, but the seller said it worked flawlessly for him.

Any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #399
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Do you have a center speaker in your dash

Do you have a center speaker in your dash
Do you have equalizer controls in your previous Head Unit
instead of simple bass and treble adjustments if so you have logic 7
instead of the other two possibilitys.
There are numerous threads on this .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1266451970

If your not in the US and don't have a 2010 ,2011 you may have the Base or Stereo system which has no tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #400
megaman416
Banned
Rep

Edit - I do have Logic 7, long silver amp in the back under the CD changer and I counted 11 visible speakers...

What's the easiest way to get the Dynavin to work?

Last edited by megaman416; 06-28-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #401
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman416 View Post
Edit - I do have Logic 7, long silver amp in the back under the CD changer and I counted 11 visible speakers...

What's the easiest way to get the Dynavin to work?
New amp.

Run HU cables direct to amp.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #402
megaman416
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
New amp.

Run HU cables direct to amp.

Ok - RCA's to amp. What about from the new amp to the existing speakers?

Would it be easier to just relocate the OE Headunit to the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #403
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Most of the people bent on doing this with logic 7

Use and ms-8 processor and add amps as per there taste. Its seems its possible to use some of the existing speakers and speaker wire but you probably will want to replace the front doors and floors with upgraded speakers.

See ms-8 thread for details on the JBL ms-8

ms-8 has 8 channels at 18 watts rms into 4 ohms

Last edited by ctuna; 06-28-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #404
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

You need:

MS-8 (which will power F L/R, C, R L/R, R Side L/R)
Small amp (to power underseat L/R 8")
1 pair RCA from Dynavin to MS-8
1 pair RCA from MS-8 to small amp
Modified Technic Logic 7 harness for speaker wires (or lots of cutting and splicing)
Place to mount the MS-8 (and maybe the amp - use the Euro CDC changer cover)

You do not need to upgrade anything except the underseats, probably - they don't last forever with an aftermarket amp on them.

If you'd like a kit for all that, we can put it together
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #405
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You need:

MS-8 (which will power F L/R, C, R L/R, R Side L/R)
Small amp (to power underseat L/R 8")
1 pair RCA from Dynavin to MS-8
1 pair RCA from MS-8 to small amp
Modified Technic Logic 7 harness for speaker wires (or lots of cutting and splicing)
Place to mount the MS-8 (and maybe the amp - use the Euro CDC changer cover)

You do not need to upgrade anything except the underseats, probably - they don't last forever with an aftermarket amp on them.

If you'd like a kit for all that, we can put it together
That is a pretty sweet set up (only because I have it!).
Just a few notes:
1. I mounted the MS-8 in the same location as the L7 amp.
2. I also upgraded the center channel speaker to this :http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...Equipped-BMWs/
and it made a pretty big difference in sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #406
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 323i

I was on the E46 forums and found this:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=839753

I'm wondering if Android works on the Dynavin E90 model?
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #407
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
I was on the E46 forums and found this:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=839753

I'm wondering if Android works on the Dynavin E90 model?
Trent @ caraudiocraze told me it would be released to the rest of the models sometime this summer but that it is not upgradable from a windows unit. i guess they have different gps boards.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #408
dt_328xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
OK, I have an update. The hissing noise only exists while in an EQ profile setting (rock, pop, jazz, etc.). Does this happen to anyone else?
Hey did this ever get resolved? I was playing with the dynavin unit this weekend and all of a sudden got a horrible hissing sound. This only happens if I change the EQ profile setting (rock, pop, jazz, etc.) if I turn it off, the sound goes away. Does this happen to anyone else besides me and pkirk?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #409
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_328xi View Post
Hey did this ever get resolved? I was playing with the dynavin unit this weekend and all of a sudden got a horrible hissing sound. This only happens if I change the EQ profile setting (rock, pop, jazz, etc.) if I turn it off, the sound goes away. Does this happen to anyone else besides me and pkirk?

Thanks
Not sure, havent ever tried to use a preset EQ. Ill try it and see.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #410
dt_328xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black 328xi

[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Not sure, havent ever tried to use a preset EQ. Ill try it and see.
Any updates?

Also has anyone tried any after market noise reducing mics for the Bluetooth? When I use the hands free blue tooth while parked it sounds great, but I sound like I am in a tunnel while driving. I am hoping that a good noise reducing mic will solve this problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #411
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport

Installed but have problems

1. Everytime the car restarts, the unit won't turn on unless I do the "reset", meaning, I have to use a clip to poke the "RST" hole to reset the unit. At first we thought it was caused by a non constant 12v power source but that has been excluded after trying multiple tapping areas, inculding the spot per official Dynavin instruction. The other indication is that the knobs actually have red backlit so that means the unit actually has power but just went into some kind of "sleep" mode. As a result, "RST", or pull/replug the 12v will do a cold start to reboot the system.

2. The GPS cannnot catch any satellite signals. By doing "auto detect", the unit found the receiver but just won't affixiate any satellites. If I go to the "GPS" screen, I can see one flashing green bar at the bottom right corner but no other satellite information is available.

The antenna has been installed beneath the dash and not exposed. I don't think this is the cause coz I asked this question before.

This would be the secondary problem because unless problem 1 is fixed, this is really meaningless at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #412
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Will it start by pressing the "on" knob? Does it retain pre sets?
If yes and no, then it is def the constant 12v supply.

If not, you have a firmware issue.

With the satellite problem you either have knocked the antenna plug loose on install (I did this) or the GPS antenna is not getting a clear sight of the satellite. You may have to move it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #413
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

no it will not start by pressing the on knob or retain pre sets. To exclude the 12 v cause, I have tried any possible locations in the fuse box, such as glove box light, central lock, etc. The problem really is, the unit went into a 'sleep' mode after taking out the key and won't restart untless "RST" or pull / replug the fuse tap.
As I described above, I am 99% confident that this is a hardware issue and not 12v issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #414
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

I also used test light to check active voltage to make sure that when the key is out, that paticular slot has 12v power. Actually many of the empty spots have constant 12v.

The other issue is that there is zero satelliete signal so I suspect that there is something wrong with the GPS receiver or antenna. Once I receive the Dynavin in exchange, I will test that again.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #415
Alpine328i
Noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeandtheland View Post
I also used test light to check active voltage to make sure that when the key is out, that paticular slot has 12v power. Actually many of the empty spots have constant 12v.

The other issue is that there is zero satelliete signal so I suspect that there is something wrong with the GPS receiver or antenna. Once I receive the Dynavin in exchange, I will test that again.
Someone can correct me if i am wrong but i believe that alot of the fuses in our cars show 12V when the car is off but just for a few minutes. Then they will go out. So that very well could be your problem.

And i would try just throwing the antenna on your dash for testing to see if it is blocked.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #416
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

The replacement Dynavin is on its way and I will put it in this weekend.

About that 12v issues, I actually waited way more than a few mins to test those spots, and since I even used the glove box light, I think constant 12v is not the cause, I mean, that glove box light is 100% constant 12v, isn't it?

BTW, the guy who did the understeat subs for me disconnected the harness underseats without disconnecting the battery first, so that triggered the airbag lights. Fortunately I went into the dealer today and got them cleared off.

Other than this "RST" problem, GPS signal problem, I also have radio problem where many stations can't be found by scanning - this is an on and off problem, well, I have to do a reset each time so god knows what's going on. Anyway, I am going to test the new unit once it comes in.

I followed the reolocation HU thread by using 2 fiber optic cables. The thing is, although the radio powers up and has one red light for fiber optic, the "Menu" button does not respond. So I think something went wrong but I have no clue as how to fix this. How do I know the wirings including the two MOST fiber optic cables have been connected properly?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #417
dukeandtheland
Private
Rep

installed and running

Everything could go wrong has gone wrong during this 2 and half week long journey:

1. Dynavin HU is defect - so everytime I restart the car, I have to do a pin hole "RST" to reset the unit and losing everything. Until I got the 2nd unit, it was 100% proved that it was not caused by choosing non constant 12v.

Also this unit has bad GPS. zero satellite captured.

2. The installer did the wiring ripped the radio antenna and didn't even connect to the car antenna housing, resulting in poor radio reception

3. the JBL MS-8 has one bad channel. Made an exchange and it worked fine

4. The SDHC card came with Dynavin has issue, causing Igo to hang up during loading process. I spent countless hours trying to figure this out, beleving it was software issue. Well, finally I saw Hellsbell's post telling that his SDHC card was bad. I swapped the card and everything works fine.

The weird thing about this is that igo 8 works on this card, igo primo not; I download another version of igo primo and it worked the 1st time but extremely slow when pressing buttons; so I deleted it and put on igo 8 which worked; then I put igo primo back, and it didn't work anymore.

5. When replacing the defect Dynavin with the new one, it was very hard to get the HVAC unit board out of the bezel; I just couldn't find the easy way to get the two plastic tips out.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:06 AM   #418
wray24
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Hey Guys,
Long time overdue but here is my review of the unit with tons of pictures. The installation guide is located at the link at the bottom!

Main Screen:

Radio:
The radio screen is one of the best IMO. The actual function of the radio is very good, I notice about the same reception as OEM. The presets work great and even update with the song titles and such on the screen like stock radios do. The SWC also work with the radio volume, mute, preset changing, and source changing like normal.

CD/DVD:
The CD/DVD screen is different from the Radio screen as you can see below, that would be one of my only gripes and i believe they are working on getting it changed over. The actual performance is great, the loading of the CD takes about the same time as OEM. I havent been able to figure out how to get song titles to display instead of "Track 01" but i am sure it can be done. This screen also is what you see if you load the CD with MP3 as data files or pictures/videos. They play very well and all works well. Again SWC work well with this feature too! Clarity is awesome on CD/DVD, it will bang and you can get higher volume before distortion compared to stock.

Bluetooth:
The bluetooth is very good, pairs with my EVO 4G with no issues and automatically does it. You can pull open the phone book and such on the unit but i found it easier to either manually enter the number on the unit from memory or just to dial it from my phone itself. The internal mic is actually surprisingly good but it does come with an external that you can suction to the windshield behind the rear view mirror that will work well also. BT button on the steering wheel also works to bring open the BT screen to dial out or what not. When you get a call it will automatically switch to BT for you!

iPod:
The iPod screens are again different than the others, see pictures below. But the unit pairs and works with my iPod Touch flawlessly. It does charge it as well. You can navigate through the menus and such on the iPod screens easily from the SWC, the touchscreen for this function is a bit different. I heard its this way due to the unit using SWC, so when you touch the screen it comes up with a menu that you can use to navigate the screen. Playback again is great as far as sound quality and such.

Camera:
Dont have one to try...

Navigation:
Unit comes with an SD card loaded with IGO8 software which i actually grew to like very much. It is a very simple program with good screens and the routes are actually very good as well. You can change a ton of settings to customize it like you want it, and i found the maps to be pretty recent as well. Id say 09 .

Aux:
Didnt test but i am pretty sure its about the same as the CD/DVD screen and usage.

SD:
Same as CD/DVD usage.

TV:
Didnt buy a digital tuner box..

I know its not a super detailed review but let me know your questions and i can answer so we can make it more thorough!

Installation:
Installation is very easy and takes some time but thats just because it involves doing many things to get it all in. Its not that difficult!

DIY Link:
www.caraudiocraze.com/E90-Install-Guide1.0.pdf

Error:
The only errors that the unit causes is if you have BMW Assist, however Dynavin sent me a piece to try and remedy this error so I will post my findings. You can also do it by putting the OEM unit in your trunk.
Hi jus a quick question is there a subwoofer control for volume ect as I Will be addin a sub as my ungraded goes on

Thank
Appreciate 0