E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catless headers and CEL removal?

08-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Catless headers and CEL removal?

SO basically i'm wanting to get myself a set of headers, and the one thing that's really holding me back is the knowledge that i'd have a CEL sitting there (and possibly poor performance from the whole engine thinking you have a broken O2 sensor thing)

is there no other way of fixing the issue than getting a tune from somewhere like AA? (which here in BNE Australia, doesn't have the same amazing level of customer service and availability.. and probably arbitratily costs more..)

as well as this turns an $1100 mod into a $1600-$2000 mod :/

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I'd like to know too..I just found out about this problem lol (noob) So say I get MMW headers, then I get an AA tune..what will happen? CEL? i don't even know what that is HELP!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I'd like to know too..I just found out about this problem lol (noob) So say I get MMW headers, then I get an AA tune..what will happen? CEL? i don't even know what that is HELP!
CEL = check engine light, error/problem warning light saying something is broken

remove cats = too much exhaust gas (and wrong types) coming through, O2 sensor sees this as incorrect AFR's.

AA tune (offroad) apparently turns the O2 sensors off, but that's still $500 odd (no simon)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
CEL = check engine light, error/problem warning light saying something is broken

remove cats = too much exhaust gas (and wrong types) coming through, O2 sensor sees this as incorrect AFR's.

AA tune (offroad) apparently turns the O2 sensors off, but that's still $500 odd (no simon)
Ohhh I see now, makes sense. I did some research someone says you have to relocate the rear o2 sensors?

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658988

So an Offroad AA tune, does it put out the same performance as a regular AA tune.. Does that cost more or what's the deal with that? And what do you mean by no simon?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

DJ Apex and I were just talking about this and he unplugged his O2 and hasn't had any problems for 7k miles or so I guess. The problem is the AA tune doesn't get rid of the light, so you have to have a custom dyno tune done at a shop which they will fine tune your car to the headers and all your mods which will get rid of the light and give you maximum performance gains.

I'm hoping to do it soon, and looking into it not sure how much it's going to cost but we will see. That is the best and proper way to do it.

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, Ducati 996

the easiest and cheapest way is to get O2 sim (adjustable one) and reset lamda adaptation, i has supersprint headers and it's been almost a year now and no ses light
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

bms downpipe fix. just install per their instructions. don't mind the fact they are for the n54. it accomplishes the same goal. cheap and reliable fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher160 View Post
DJ Apex and I were just talking about this and he unplugged his O2 and hasn't had any problems for 7k miles or so I guess. The problem is the AA tune doesn't get rid of the light, so you have to have a custom dyno tune done at a shop which they will fine tune your car to the headers and all your mods which will get rid of the light and give you maximum performance gains.

I'm hoping to do it soon, and looking into it not sure how much it's going to cost but we will see. That is the best and proper way to do it.
you can't custom dyno tune our cars though, that's why places like AA even exist.. if i could get my car dyno tuned on the stock ECU i'd do it tomorrow.

but yeah, weird you still have to unplug the rear sensors, problem is i don't want to spend $500 on a tune right after dropping $2k on the whole exhaust. nuh uh lol.

maybe later on when i want the extra horses from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outPHUKINGstanding View Post
the easiest and cheapest way is to get O2 sim (adjustable one) and reset lamda adaptation, i has supersprint headers and it's been almost a year now and no ses light
can you clarify this at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
bms downpipe fix. just install per their instructions. don't mind the fact they are for the n54. it accomplishes the same goal. cheap and reliable fix.
how come i search this forum/google for 'bms downpipe' and no information really comes up on it except for people saying it SHOULD work?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

http://burgertuning.com/dpfix.html

yes it's says n54 on their site but it also works on n52, installation is exactely the same, same wire numbers, same wire color; i have this same one on my car

ok i take that back, reseting lambda adapation is very complicated, you'll have to learn BMW diagnostic tool program and coding, there's a DIY on this fourm but below is how i learned the program

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561237
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

yes it's says n54 on their site but it also works on n52, installation is exactely the same, same wire numbers, same wire color; i have this same one on my car

ok i take that back, reseting lambda adapation is very complicated, you'll have to learn BMW diagnostic tool program and coding, there's a DIY on this fourm but below is how i learned the program

what does resetting lambda adaptation MEAN

isn't lambda oxygen/AFR's? and simply disconnecting the battery does that anyway?

ED: everything in that link seems pretty simple to me, i can handle all of that

except, which cable do i need for a 2006.5 E87? 3rd choice: BMW INPA EDIABAS K+DCAN USB Interface (i.e., USB K-Line+DCAN)
? it only says it's needed for 3/2007 E87's... i'm guessing it'll work the same still?

ED: ah wait 1st choice: BMW INPA EDIABAS K-Line USB Interface (e.g., USB K-Line, aka "BMW INPA EDIABAS K+CAN USB OBD2")
lists E87, and its' cheap lol

Last edited by flinchy; 08-29-2012 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:

So BMS Downpipe + any Catless Headers + AA tune = Success ? or is a Off Road AA Tune needed. I have a 330xi btw if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #12
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So BMS Downpipe + any Catless Headers + AA tune = Success ? or is a Off Road AA Tune needed. I have a 330xi btw if that helps.
sounds like you only need the BMS fix to clear the CEL, the tune is just a tune still.

ED: i'm still confused as to which cable to get, why would 2003 E87's have a different interface to prior ones when everything else is the same
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

There are a few shops here in Houston Tx that do costom dyno tunes for us they already have done a few members on here.

Ya well if u already have a AA tune u can talk to them to see if they can cut u a deal on the update tune u will need (off road tune)

Another thing i noticed with me is the lead gaskits donuts were damaged and i was getting a small leak from there witch is hard to hear and see.

but i did notice after the AA tune i was still throwing codes for rear o2's so i found unpluging them did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what does resetting lambda adaptation MEAN

isn't lambda oxygen/AFR's? and simply disconnecting the battery does that anyway?

ED: everything in that link seems pretty simple to me, i can handle all of that

except, which cable do i need for a 2006.5 E87? 3rd choice: BMW INPA EDIABAS K+DCAN USB Interface (i.e., USB K-Line+DCAN)
? it only says it's needed for 3/2007 E87's... i'm guessing it'll work the same still?

ED: ah wait 1st choice: BMW INPA EDIABAS K-Line USB Interface (e.g., USB K-Line, aka "BMW INPA EDIABAS K+CAN USB OBD2")
lists E87, and its' cheap lol
yes sir you are correct, but it can only be reset with the diagnostic tool, it's a strick emissions control on the car, i don't think BMW will just let any average joe reset it when ever they want to

you'll have to do more research, i'm not sure about e87, this is the one i have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...4150a9&vxp=mtr

Quote:
you don't need the off road tune, it depends on which stage you have. when i was on AA stage 1 my setting on the O2 sim is at the 6 oclock position and it worked fine, went to stage 2 had to turn it to the 9 oclock position. every car is different you'll just have to play with the setting to find the one that works for your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
yes sir you are correct, but it can only be reset with the diagnostic tool, it's a strick emissions control on the car, i don't think BMW will just let any average joe reset it when ever they want to

you'll have to do more research, i'm not sure about e87, this is the one i have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...4150a9&vxp=mtr

you don't need the off road tune, it depends on which stage you have. when i was on AA stage 1 my setting on the O2 sim is at the 6 oclock position and it worked fine, went to stage 2 had to turn it to the 9 oclock position. every car is different you'll just have to play with the setting to find the one that works for your car.
is the O2 sim this:
http://burgertuning.com/dpfix.html ???
sorry, really new to performance modding.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
There are a few shops here in Houston Tx that do costom dyno tunes for us they already have done a few members on here.

Ya well if u already have a AA tune u can talk to them to see if they can cut u a deal on the update tune u will need (off road tune)

Another thing i noticed with me is the lead gaskits donuts were damaged and i was getting a small leak from there witch is hard to hear and see.

but i did notice after the AA tune i was still throwing codes for rear o2's so i found unpluging them did the trick.
really? i wonder why that's not more common then - if people can do custom proper tunes, places like AA would be pretty much out of business

sadly i don't know of anyone in AUSTRALIA (as in, not just my city) that knows how to do it

ok i might send an email off o BMS just to confirm ayway

ED: do you still need o2 sims with the dpfix?

i undersand that this DPfix is just a variable resistor which either lets the full signal through, or .. well resists some of it to what the car *expects*

Last edited by flinchy; 08-29-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is the O2 sim this:
http://burgertuning.com/dpfix.html ???
sorry, really new to performance modding.
O2 sim/ downpipe fix = same
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Alright got it so what exactly do you turn to the 9 o clock position?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Eurocharged custom dyno tuned my car, and I'm going in again soon for a reflash to tweak some things.
      08-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

not quite

O2 sims are usually eithe rmechanical (move the o2 sensor out of the exhaust flow to read lower) or electrical - replaces the O2 sensor with a resistor

this is sorta like an electrical one, except i just spoke to BMS and they said the original O2 sensor remains in place, so the signal can still be interrupted. otherwise it'd be no signal

Quote:
Alright got it so what exactly do you turn to the 9 o clock position?
it has a dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Eurocharged custom dyno tuned my car, and I'm going in again soon for a reflash to tweak some things.
what sorta gains did you see?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not quite

O2 sims are usually eithe rmechanical (move the o2 sensor out of the exhaust flow to read lower) or electrical - replaces the O2 sensor with a resistor

this is sorta like an electrical one, except i just spoke to BMS and they said the original O2 sensor remains in place, so the signal can still be interrupted. otherwise it'd be no signal
ok that was a little confusing for you, for now on we'll just call it downpipe fix
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ok that was a little confusing for you, for now on we'll just call it downpipe fix
hahah yeah

i guess cos it's a very particular type of O2 sim
Appreciate 0