E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 Series To Be Built in US?

08-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #45
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
I was the one with Toyota Camry from Kentucky and trust me after 3 years of ownership car had big problems with ABS,etc. Just right after the warranty expired. I just got rid of that junk.
All cars will have their problem.

On another note, many feel Honda/Acura can build quality vehicles. When Acura released the 5AT in the TL/CL and later the MDX it was the biggest point of failure. The interesting point is that the 5AT was the only component assembled in Japan. The rest was from the USA and Canada with final vehicle assembly in the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #46
Paladin906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

The question is whether some of the savings will be transferred to the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #47
mwarsh1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Yup, there goes BMW... good I have another reason to move on to Porsches
i agree america cant build shit its bad enough they got south africa making cars, nothing like a german and a wrench!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #48
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarsh1 View Post
i agree america cant build shit its bad enough they got south africa making cars, nothing like a german and a wrench!
Brilliant statement considering who builds the majority of commercial aircraft.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #49
BMWFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Tell that to all the Toyota owners who get there cars out of Kentucky and still constantly rank as some of the best built most reliable cars in the world.

Its not where the car is built (well maybe in China), it is how it is designed and the equipment used to build them.

GM makes crap because the cars were designed like junk, not because of the workers (sure they may be a bit slower).

Completely agreed.

There are very good workers in the US, as well as in many other countries. (I have worked in US and Europe). Similarly, stupidity is pretty well spread across countries as well, including Germany. GM makes junk cars all over the world...
The culture and philosophy of the company is what makes the difference.

Japanese automakers build cars in the US, Lexus has a plant in Ontario I believe. Are there more problems on the X5s? Do they have the fuel pump issues?

I personally don't care where it is built. I would like to do ED on the next one though.

FM
F34 335i xDrive, M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Driver Assistance, Premium, Active Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Side and Top View Cameras, European Delivery, Debadged
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #50
BMWFM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Brilliant statement considering who builds the majority of commercial aircraft.
Actually, a lot of Airbus are manufactured in Toulouse, France.

FM
F34 335i xDrive, M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Driver Assistance, Premium, Active Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Side and Top View Cameras, European Delivery, Debadged
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #51
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFM View Post
Airbus, yes. But not Boeing, Lockheed, etc. The ones many of us fly in often.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #52
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:

FM
I think what he means is most planes in service are Boeing aircraft

Quote:
There are around 4,867 Airbus aircraft in service... Airbus products are still outnumbered 6 to 1 by in-service Boeings (there are over 5,000 Boeing 737s alone in service).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus#...on_with_Boeing
      08-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #53
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
I personally don't care where it is built. I would like to do ED on the next one though.
Yeah, that's the part of this that I find most interesting. I'm sure that BMW will preserve the ED program since many 3-series will still be built in Germany (they're not shifting ALL production to the states). I just wonder if there will be a price premium (versus the discount) if this change goes into effect.
      08-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #54
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Not to mention Airbus uses P&W and GE engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #55
Rian
Registered
Rep
Drives: POS

I state to BMW right now, I'll take my 45k to 50K to another manufacture if BMW switches the 335i to US production. There is no way I'm buying a 3 series made in the US. I hope I don't need to worry since I plan on doing an ED delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #56
Move.Over
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
I state to BMW right now, I'll take my 45k to 50K to another manufacture if BMW switches the 335i to US production. There is no way I'm buying a 3 series made in the US. I hope I don't need to worry since I plan on doing an ED delivery.
I hope for you that they have fixed the fuel pump by then. People are still seeing failures.

Our US build 98 Mustang Convertible was the most reliable car we owned. Not a single repair in 70K miles but 1 set of tires and brakes and oil changes.
8 year depreciation 15k.

Our 07 335i has seen more of the dealer then I care for. Fuel pump, bucking, brake light failures, recall, new tires at 12k. 2 year deprecation 12k.

Not saying that I don't like the way e92 drives (ordered mine before it was even available)

Even the German's say that Mazda makes the most reliable car.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/dauer...op_766433.html

Just bought an US build 08 Mazda6 for my daughter/bad weather car for me.

Many of the people building your "German" BMW are born and raised in Poland, Turkey etc.
      08-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #57
BMWFM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus#...on_with_Boeing
I know. I was teasing.

Background is Aerospace Engineering. I actually studied in Toulouse, France.

I was merely trying to illustrate my earlier post: it does not matter the country, the important point is the company's focus and culture.

In general, France does not really have a reputation for quality manufacturing (perhaps even less so that the US), more renown for fancy products.
Yet Airbus has managed to build a great business (arguably through state subsidies) and a pretty good safety reputation. Airbus manages to get around 50% market share of new large aircafts (depending on how you count). Airbus is actually pretty well run, with a strong culture. Workers (engineers and assembly men) are just are passionate about the products. That makes a difference.

FM
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #58
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Funny how American's don't want American's building their cars. We say no to outsourcing but when a prestigious company like BMW thinks about importing jobs to America no one has any faith in our own workers. Yes, American cars in the past were a joke but that was because of the American companies that cared about nothing more than producing cheap cars for maximum profit. The old quantity over quality game.

To think that BMW would do anything like that or to suggest they would put a bunch of simpletons in their production lines to build their cars is a joke being played out in your minds. It's their reputation at stake; no company as renowned as BMW would commit consumer suicide. All they are trying to do is remain profitable, nothing more and nothing less. Believing that American's can't build a BMW just as good as anyone else is a farce.

Let the counter points commence...

Last edited by Tag; 08-29-2008 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #59
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Hrmm, so domestic brands have 5 of the top 10 in the JD Power long term reliability test. Two GM brands beat BMW.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #60
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

You can't do ED with the M series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Just an add on the ONLY reason I would care if they made them in the US would be no more ED on the 3 series. But I assume the M's will still be made in Germany so I could go that route.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #61
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
I think you can; just no discount.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #62
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'll be happy with it if we get the kind of flexibility choosing options (hmmm.... say M-sport?) that euros get.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #63
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
You can you just dont get the nice discount.
      08-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #64
Hoothout
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 328i

Garage List
2008 e92 328i  [0.00]
i like having the feeling of it being made in germany (even though thats where the parts are made) it still isnt complete
iDrive,Premium Pkg,Sport Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Black Dakota Leather,GP Thunder 8500k cornering,drl,and foglights, ,Blacked Out Grills,Painted Reflectors,Shadowline Emblems,Hardwired Beltronics V-995, AFE Intake, Muffler Delete, Berger tune
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #65
thisguyhere
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

The only possible good thing about BMW being built in US is quicker turnaround time for custom order cars...and of course it will create more employment opportunities.

However...I would prefer to have the car built in the country where the car and it's brand name evolved from. When you think of 'German built', you think of precision and accuracy. Not just the parts, but as a whole. It's just something that I, and most people would prefer.

If you could chose,

Would you prefer Sushi that was made in Japan or Sushi made in America

Would you prefer Italian food made in Italy or made in America?

Would you prefer Sony, Canon, Panasonic electronic made in Japan or America...

Etc etc...you get the idea.

I wouldn't say I would never buy a BMW that was made in America, but I would be less likely to buy if it was.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #66
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciseeye View Post
The only possible good thing about BMW being built in US is quicker turnaround time for custom order cars...and of course it will create more employment opportunities.

However...I would prefer to have the car built in the country where the car and it's brand name evolved from. When you think of 'German built', you think of precision and accuracy. Not just the parts, but as a whole. It's just something that I, and most people would prefer.

If you could chose,

Would you prefer Sushi that was made in Japan or Sushi made in America

Would you prefer Italian food made in Italy or made in America?

Would you prefer Sony, Canon, Panasonic electronic made in Japan or America...

Etc etc...you get the idea.

I wouldn't say I would never buy a BMW that was made in America, but I would be less likely to buy if it was.
Actually I like the Italian food in the US much better then the Italian food when I went to Italy

But I get your point.