E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Brightest LCI Angel Eyes?

02-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Brightest LCI Angel Eyes?

Hey everyone!

After years of waiting, and a couple months of searching for a well-optioned, low mileage AW or SG 335i within a couple hundred miles of me, I will hopefully be purchasing my first BMW tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I'm already looking at mods for the car, because once I started modding my MINI Cooper S, I couldn't stop, and still can't

I'm not gonna get too crazy with this car, as it's got very low mileage for a pre-owned vehicle, and I don't want to do anything to mess up the remaining factory warranty and CPO warranty.

I'm looking at 3 different angel eyes, and I plan for those to be one of the first things I do to this car. However I've seen alot of pics of aftermarket angel eyes that have a really bright inner ring, and then the outer ring is fairly dim in comparison. I want them to be as close and uniform as possible.

The one's I've looked at are MTec LEDs, Turner Motorsports LEDs, and the LUX Halogens. Which one out of these would you recommend? Alot of people on these forums seem to have and love LUXs, but most own Pre-LCI cars that have the LUX LEDs. I guess I'm leaning most toward the MTecs, but that could change depending on what you guys say.

Are there any other ones I should consider?

I'll post pics of the new addition to my garage as soon as it's officially mine in the photo section.

Thanks!

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 02-08-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Do you mean LUX H8? You said Lux Halogen. If you have halogens, you don't have angel eyes. No bulb you buy will make the outer and inner bulb equal in brightness, it was a flaw in BMW's design IMO. You won't ever be completely satisfied with whatever you buy. I have a $55 eBay white LED white bulb and you can't see them in direct sunlight. Basically no bulb you buy will make you see it in sunlight.

Overall, LUX H8's are the best, but they are also 245 freaking dollars. MTECH I heard is just as good, but for significantly less. If you want to go all out, you can replace your rings you have with LED ones like OSS or another service for ~$800, but they kinda look too ricy for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Unhappy

It kinda sucks posting a reply to your own first post, but I've done a little more research and found out that LUX has an H8 LED V3 out that is supposed to make both rings equal brightness... Even though they are like $50 more than the MTec, I'm probably going to end up going with those. Sorry for being an idiot and not doing my research first...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The car I'm getting is an '09 335i, and 335s all have Xenons. When I said LUX Halogen, I was looking at the wrong part on a vendors website...

I don't really care about direct sunlight as much as I care about both rings being close to the same brightness at/after dusk...

I realize they probably won't look EXACTLY the same in terms of brightness, but some bulbs make them look closer than others. I've seen a couple pics (of fairly expensive aftermarket LED Angel Eyes) and the inner ring is bright, but the outer ring is so dim, it looks like it's just reflecting light coming from the inner ring.

From what I have seen after doing research this morning is like I said, some are better than others, and LUX V3 H8s seem to be the best at making the rings as close to equal as possible...

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 02-08-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey e90
The car I'm getting is an '09 335i, and 335s all have Xenons. When I said LUX Halogen, I was looking at the wrong part on a vendors website...

I don't really care about direct sunlight as much as I care about both rings being close to the same brightness at/after dusk...

I realize they probably won't look EXACTLY the same in terms of brightness, but some bulbs make them look closer than others. I've seen a couple pics (of fairly expensive aftermarket LED Angel Eyes) and the inner ring is bright, but the outer ring is so dim, it looks like it's just reflecting light coming from the inner ring.

From what I have seen after doing research this morning is like I said, some are better than others, and LUX V3 H8s seem to be the best at making the rings as close to equal as possible...
Not all 335s have xenon. you meant to say all e92 have xenons
      02-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
Not all 335s have xenon. you meant to say all e92 have xenons
No, I didn't. But really?? Because on bmwusa.com, it lists "Xenon adaptive automatic headlights-inc: auto-leveling, corona ring daytime running lights" under the "Standard Equipment" tab on all 335s I have looked at ('07-'11). I guess they must be wrong...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

I would highly recommned the lux. In my opinion those are definitely the best bulb option out there and the brightest. They are pricey but its definitely worth it. Keep in mind that even with the LUX you're not going to have the outside ring the exact same as the inner. From a few feet away they look very uniform and perfect but when you get closer the outer ring starts to lose light. This is due to BMW's poor design for the angel eyes.

Idk how much you're willing to spend but the absolute best out there is the OSS angel eyes. They are a company that installs and paints them for you but if you think you can diy then you get the Umnitza V2 or V4's. I've been running the lux for almost a year and love them but finally made the jump on the OSS a few weeks ago. I'm still waiting to get my headlights back but with that said the LUX is definitely the best bulb swap in my opinion.

More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
I would highly recommned the lux. In my opinion those are definitely the best bulb option out there and the brightest. They are pricey but its definitely worth it. Keep in mind that even with the LUX you're not going to have the outside ring the exact same as the inner. From a few feet away they look very uniform and perfect but when you get closer the outer ring starts to lose light. This is due to BMW's poor design for the angel eyes.

Idk how much you're willing to spend but the absolute best out there is the OSS angel eyes. They are a company that installs and paints them for you but if you think you can diy then you get the Umnitza V2 or V4's. I've been running the lux for almost a year and love them but finally made the jump on the OSS a few weeks ago. I'm still waiting to get my headlights back but with that said the LUX is definitely the best bulb swap in my opinion.

I have OSS V2, and I can tell you and the OP that LS3 is the brightest option sitting next to mine and orion v4's. That said, I would say the V2's look the classiest out of the three. E92 LCI beats them all though, keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
I have OSS V2, and I can tell you and the OP that LS3 is the brightest option sitting next to mine and orion v4's. That said, I would say the V2's look the classiest out of the three. E92 LCI beats them all though, keep that in mind.
Idk since I haven't seen the LS3's in person but I have spoken to a few LS3 owners along with reading their posts. The majority have told me if they did it again they would go OSS after comparing there's directly to a car with OSS. Most didn't really mention brightness but the quality of the work and being able to do more to the headlights. I think they are both extremely bright and the difference is probably very slim so it comes down to wanting a full circle ring or a cut ring. For me the cut was nice and all the pics of seen of the V4's made them look amazing which is why I went with those. Plus OSS is closer to me and they had more options for headlight mods than just rings and blackout. For example, i'm doing a 2-tone along with the amber LED's in the eyebrow swapped to white. Can't wait for them to come
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Idk since I haven't seen the LS3's in person but I have spoken to a few LS3 owners along with reading their posts. The majority have told me if they did it again they would go OSS after comparing there's directly to a car with OSS. Most didn't really mention brightness but the quality of the work and being able to do more to the headlights. I think they are both extremely bright and the difference is probably very slim so it comes down to wanting a full circle ring or a cut ring. For me the cut was nice and all the pics of seen of the V4's made them look amazing which is why I went with those. Plus OSS is closer to me and they had more options for headlight mods than just rings and blackout. For example, i'm doing a 2-tone along with the amber LED's in the eyebrow swapped to white. Can't wait for them to come
Yup never bashed OSS that's why I have them. Their craftmanship is great but the LS3's rings are a bit brighter (what the OP wanted to know)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Are all these pics of the LUX? If so then I think I know what I'm going to get...

They seriously look sweet. Thanks for posting those pics, I really appreciate that. In twelve hours I plan on being the proud owner of my first BMW, and before the end of next week, I'd like to have the angel eyes changed out to LEDs. I'm not going to go with OSS angel eyes, because I don't have the time to send my headlights (be without my car) for two weeks. Not only that, I don't really care for the looks of them in the pics I've seen. To me, and this is just my opinion, they look pretty "ricey" or like the cheap aftermarket lights with "halo rings" that I see on Dodge Rams, or Chevy Impalas. They're not quite THAT bad, but they still don't look like stock.

Post pics when you get them back though man, I'd love to see more pics of them. Who knows, I might get the LUX H8s, and when summertime rolls around and I can drive my MCS, I get the OSS angels... It all just depends.

Now, for trying to sleep...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup never bashed OSS that's why I have them. Their craftmanship is great but the LS3's rings are a bit brighter (what the OP wanted to know)
Any pics of the LS3s? Where can you get them?

I've been reading the "Angel Eye Comparisons" sticky for the last hour or so. I'm a bit angel eye overwhelmed right now...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey e90 View Post
Are all these pics of the LUX? If so then I think I know what I'm going to get...

They seriously look sweet. Thanks for posting those pics, I really appreciate that. In twelve hours I plan on being the proud owner of my first BMW, and before the end of next week, I'd like to have the angel eyes changed out to LEDs. I'm not going to go with OSS angel eyes, because I don't have the time to send my headlights (be without my car) for two weeks. Not only that, I don't really care for the looks of them in the pics I've seen. To me, and this is just my opinion, they look pretty "ricey" or like the cheap aftermarket lights with "halo rings" that I see on Dodge Rams, or Chevy Impalas. They're not quite THAT bad, but they still don't look like stock.

Post pics when you get them back though man, I'd love to see more pics of them. Who knows, I might get the LUX H8s, and when summertime rolls around and I can drive my MCS, I get the OSS angels... It all just depends.

Now, for trying to sleep...
Yea all of those pictures are taken with the lux from a few feet away. As I said I think the lux are definitely the best bulb option. The downtime for OSS does kinda stink but it's not too bad. I think it's normally closer to 1 week not two. I timed it perfectly since i'm away on vacation this whole week and don't need the car. I'll definitely make sure to post some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey e90 View Post
Any pics of the LS3s? Where can you get them?

I've been reading the "Angel Eye Comparisons" sticky for the last hour or so. I'm a bit angel eye overwhelmed right now...
The company that makes the LS3's is Bavarianx in california. Here's a link to their photo gallery on e90post

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632291
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's probably true. Does anyone know what rings they use for the LS3's? Is it the Luce orb rings that oneighty customs uses?
Appreciate 0