E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Spare Tire mounted

03-02-2023, 05:55 PM   #1
Gunsmyth
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M Sport

Spare Tire mounted

After running a tune with alphabet delete for 5+ years, finally got around to removing the DEF tank and pump. Opted to install a new SS mid and tail pipe from ATM (ATM-304SS-SP). This system does allow the emergency BMW spare to be mounted below the trunk. I used a mount from a Porsche 996 that worked with no modification. The clearance from the tire to tail pipe is less than an inch but will wrap the tailpipe if necessary.
In order for the spare to rest flat against the bottom of trunk between the spar in front and the bumper skin in the rear, the spare must be deflated. not a big deal, have a small portable compressor on board.
Nice to have my whole trunk back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:04 AM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Nice to see another member do this. Did my sticky inspire you or did you independently come up with idea on your own?

I run my spare fully inflated and have it at a small angle. I use 6.25” steel discuto clamp the spare in hard with a giant wing nut.

I have a uhaul hitch installed as well that had a fire to aft bar under the spare. Yes, it’s an inconvenience to remove spare but also an added protection for it not being able to fall. I’ve had this setup since July 2015. Wow, almost 8 yrs ago!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
Gunsmyth
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M Sport

Recently turned the keys over to my 22 yr old son. The muffler delete was his idea and we took the opportunity to remove the DEF tank. Pleasantly surprised to find the spare is easy to remove and install with the aftermarket SS pipes in place. Is it very secure with the Porsche mounting hardware.
I did see your install a few years back but did not want to remove the mufflers. I am surprised how quiet the interior is with muffler delete. Not ready to delete from my new to me 2016 535D m-Sport though.
Son will need to update the tune after he installs the new intercooler and the EGR race pipe. The MPG has suffered with current tune and straight pipe? Change in backpressure or just the the angle of a young man's right foot?
Appreciate 0