E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 800 miles on my new(replaced HPFP) and now. .

08-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Angry 800 miles on my new(replaced HPFP) and now. .

:madn cold starts I am experiencing the erratic idle where the car almost sounds like its going to die. It settles out after a min or so and only happens when I start the car cold. I am NOT having the long crank problems though. Does anyone know what this could be?

Right now I have 3800 miles, original HPFP went at 3000 (only had long crank symptoms NOT what I described above). Though it may be my butt dyno getting used to the power again (after 328 loaner) but I am starting to feel more turbo lag compared to the day I picked it up (after HPFP replacement).

I really hope its not the HPFP again, two bad pumps in 3 months of ownership would be a BIT absurd. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Try having them reset your adaptations...
They did this on my car and it feels fine now.

I also started switching to Shell gas from what some others had mentioned about the ethanol content with Chevron. Car still feels the same with Shell.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Interesting you mention this rough idle. I've been experiencing this lately and was going to post up here today about it. I get the extended crank time as well though. Sometimes it will take me 5 seconds + to start the car and then it feel like I'm in a diesel the way it runs and jolts. My car sounds really rough like something certainly is wrong... BMW tells me nothing is wrong at all though
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Bad batch of gas? Or did you you go with a cheap brand?

Did you recently fill up and then the rough idling start?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7586 View Post
Interesting you mention this rough idle. I've been experiencing this lately and was going to post up here today about it. I get the extended crank time as well though. Sometimes it will take me 5 seconds + to start the car and then it feel like I'm in a diesel the way it runs and jolts. My car sounds really rough like something certainly is wrong... BMW tells me nothing is wrong at all though
Where are you in Central Cali?
I would tell the dealer that when you bought the car, it did not drive that way. Have them start up a new car off the lot and compare. Sounds like you need to go to another dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieur View Post
:madn cold starts I am experiencing the erratic idle where the car almost sounds like its going to die. It settles out after a min or so and only happens when I start the car cold. I am NOT having the long crank problems though. Does anyone know what this could be?

Right now I have 3800 miles, original HPFP went at 3000 (only had long crank symptoms NOT what I described above). Though it may be my butt dyno getting used to the power again (after 328 loaner) but I am starting to feel more turbo lag compared to the day I picked it up (after HPFP replacement).

I really hope its not the HPFP again, two bad pumps in 3 months of ownership would be a BIT absurd. Any help?
Does your RPM needle jump and and down during these rough idles? Is it like a tractor where the whole car is shaking or is it just very subtle?

Since it only happens when your car is cold, I suspect its mainly cause your engine's cold. I had this problem before where my car would even buckle when accelerating during a cold start. But now its fine after I took it to the dealers and have them upgrade the software on my car. I believe they installed Progman version 25.00. Any version newer than 25.00 should do the trick as well.

Also try switching your fuel source and make sure you load up with the highest octane rating as possible and make sure you get gas that has the least additives as possible. Try a different type of gas and once you find a source of good gas, try and load up every time there. Also look for places where usually there are a lot of people loading up since you'll know that the gas is replaced there often unlike gas stations with little traffic where the gas in the tanks below the ground tend to settle over time. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
thealbert
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7586 View Post
I hate to say it but it sounds like you might be in the early stages of a bad fuel pump. I had the exact same symptoms right before my pump failed. I suggest you take it to your dealers again cause its only a matter of time before your pump goes. Good luck buddy!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
hool97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I sure doesn't sound good. I hope its not another fuel pump, but i would push the dealer to find out what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
BHairsto
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I wish I knew what to tell you. My car has been exhibiting the same type of weird idling periodically, and sometimes stalls while sitting in traffic. The dealer updated my software a few weeks ago, and the car stalled 3 times in a 2 day period afterwards. The dealer has had my car for three days this week, and of course it's behaving perfectly and hasn't thrown any fault codes. I don't buy the bad gas crap--I've had plenty of high performance cars that require premium gas and I always put in 93 oct from either BP, Shell or Exxon (usually from the same 3 stations--2 Exxons and one BP)--none of my other cars have had adverse reactions to any of these fuels. I know this motor is entirely different, but it would be ridiculous for BMW to design a motor/fuel system with such little tolerance for small deviations in premium fuels--I could understand if it were a problem with people using regular octane. I hope you have better luck than I am having getting your problem resolved
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
I wish I knew what to tell you. My car has been exhibiting the same type of weird idling periodically, and sometimes stalls while sitting in traffic.
Both you and the OP live in VA - could you compare notes on the brand of gas (and octane) used?

Maybe it was a bad batch of gas in VA?

(I'm interested too, being not too far away in MD)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
twintrbo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i- Metallic Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I had 18,000 miles on mine before I had my HFFP replaced. It only took them two weeks to replace. No problem since.. I have been using Shell V- power. Good luck everyone.
      08-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
jhilsinho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieur View Post

I hear a strong engine noise as well, and even the wf was asking me about it, but I think that is normal...
Appreciate 0