E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Changed VCG, but still burning smell

03-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
apc3libras
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [4.00]
Changed VCG, but still burning smell

I had an indy shop change the valve cover gasket a few months ago because it was leaking and I had the bad burning smell in the cabin. That smell is gone, except when I am going uphill for longer than a couple minutes. This happens in D and DS. This time it smells more like burning rubber, but there is a little of the oil smell from before. Is it possible the residue is just still burning off and when I am going uphill it is somehow leaking? Not sure why the rubber smell though.

Anyone had this issue? Thank you in advance.
      03-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
MooseCaboose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with a doge

check the exhaust pipes under your car, could be a plastic bag stuck to it or something.
      10-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
sirantsE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apc3libras
I had an indy shop change the valve cover gasket a few months ago because it was leaking and I had the bad burning smell in the cabin. That smell is gone, except when I am going uphill for longer than a couple minutes. This happens in D and DS. This time it smells more like burning rubber, but there is a little of the oil smell from before. Is it possible the residue is just still burning off and when I am going uphill it is somehow leaking? Not sure why the rubber smell though.

Anyone had this issue? Thank you in advance.
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but did you figure this out. If your still even on here.

Or does anyone have this smell too? Just started on startup only. I'm going to clean the block this weekend to see if I have any leaks but it smells more like rubber burning than oil and only at start up... Weird since motor is cold then.
      10-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Check for a worn serpentine belt or tensioner. . that made a burning smell on my car until i changed it.

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
SDemetris
FSAE Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirantsE90 View Post
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but did you figure this out. If your still even on here.

Or does anyone have this smell too? Just started on startup only. I'm going to clean the block this weekend to see if I have any leaks but it smells more like rubber burning than oil and only at start up... Weird since motor is cold then.
forgot to quote you on the last one.... definitely check serpentine belt

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Poly everything, e24 3.25 LSD, 225 lb weight reduction, Corbeau FX1, Shifter machined by me, roll bar, harness, all the other goodies. My "Racecar"...15x7 BBS RA
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
sirantsE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDemetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirantsE90 View Post

forgot to quote you on the last one.... definitely check serpentine belt
Only on startup though? I think if it was bad it would be continuous right? Irregardless I'll check it tonight. Thanks man
      12-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
Ilyas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pedestrian

Car is 07 328xi.
I have burnt oil smell when my car starts or if I stop suddenly/turn or nose of car dives down on speedbumps/downhill moves.
The story began couple months ago. My car showed low oil and I went to a dealership to add more oil. After visiting a dealership I've noticed erratic idle. After researching the forum, I've figured that this symptom comes from literally anything going wrong with engine.
To my surprise the fix was easy: the dealership dumbass service guy DID NOT closed the oil cap properly. I closed the cap nicely and wiped all the oil around it. However small plastic crums from oil feeder neck fell inside.
After that fix erratic idle disappeared, but the smell described above comes once in a while.
I went to another dealership thinking that oil change might help (also thinking that plastic crums might be washed away), but after changing the oil service rep said that there are no visible leaks/problems. He said that ripped cover gasket would smell all the time once engine is hot and oil is dripping on exhaust manifold, however if smell comes out even when the car is cold it should be something else.
However smell still comes back. Other threads mention leaking oil into turbos, but my engine is non-turbo.
Any advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0