E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335D Auto Box

04-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

335D Auto Box

Could some please with more knowledge than me give me a breakdown of the difference between, D, DS and M with the auto box.

It doesn't seem to make any difference what selection I have made if I am using the paddles ??? Car always seems to act the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

D Mode, or Drive, is the standard settings that the ECU uses to control the gears. In this D position, the ECU is trying to make best use of the gears to maintain economy and refinement. The ECU will take into account previous adaptation (ie. it will learn the driving style of the driver) and adjust itself accordingly, however always with economy in mind.

DS mode is the Drive Sports mode, in which the ECU will hold on to gears for longer, go nearer the redline, and provide the car with greater urgency by reducing the need to drop down a gear for acceleration. This obviously gives the car a more sporty nature, but will have a negative impact on economy.

M mode is the Manual mode of the gearbox and is activated by pushing or pulling the paddles when the car is in DS mode. In Manual mode, the DRIVER has to change gears using the paddles or the push/pull gearshift lever. The driver can change gears either up or down at will, and the car will respond accordingly. However, if the driver attempts to make a downshift which will cause the engine to over rev, the ECU will not allow this gear change to happen. Equally, the ECU will prevent the driver from selecting too high a gear for the engine load. If the redline is reached before the driver has manually changed gear, the ECU will automatically change up a gear (or down if the revs drop too low). Manual mode can only be switched off when the gearlever is moved back to the normal Drive position.

In D mode, if you pull or push the paddles, you override the current setting and effect a manual change in gears, either up or down. This is useful if you're planning an overtaking manouver - you can down change in advance just by pushing the paddles once, without having to change gearbox settings. If the car senses that manual input is no longer required (normally by extended driving without change) the gearbox will revert back to the original D mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the detailed response its much appreciated, so in theory when I am in D mode and I then use the paddles, does this overide the economy aspect of the car and switch it to DS mode ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
D Mode, or Drive, is the standard settings that the ECU uses to control the gears. In this D position, the ECU is trying to make best use of the gears to maintain economy and refinement. The ECU will take into account previous adaptation (ie. it will learn the driving style of the driver) and adjust itself accordingly, however always with economy in mind.

DS mode is the Drive Sports mode, in which the ECU will hold on to gears for longer, go nearer the redline, and provide the car with greater urgency by reducing the need to drop down a gear for acceleration. This obviously gives the car a more sporty nature, but will have a negative impact on economy.

M mode is the Manual mode of the gearbox and is activated by pushing or pulling the paddles when the car is in DS mode. In Manual mode, the DRIVER has to change gears using the paddles or the push/pull gearshift lever. The driver can change gears either up or down at will, and the car will respond accordingly. However, if the driver attempts to make a downshift which will cause the engine to over rev, the ECU will not allow this gear change to happen. Equally, the ECU will prevent the driver from selecting too high a gear for the engine load. If the redline is reached before the driver has manually changed gear, the ECU will automatically change up a gear (or down if the revs drop too low). Manual mode can only be switched off when the gearlever is moved back to the normal Drive position.

In D mode, if you pull or push the paddles, you override the current setting and effect a manual change in gears, either up or down. This is useful if you're planning an overtaking manouver - you can down change in advance just by pushing the paddles once, without having to change gearbox settings. If the car senses that manual input is no longer required (normally by extended driving without change) the gearbox will revert back to the original D mode.
How do you activate DS mode? The only way I ever seem to get it selected is by manually overriding the gear selection while in D. Your response to Omaragha suggests that you can have DS permanently selected? Thanks MB
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

On my 335D DS mode is when I push the gearstick the left - then its in permanent DS mode and I can also use the gearstick to manually change up and down like with paddles - in effect it will nudge slightly forward or backwards allowing for a manual change as per the paddles.

D for me is just the 4th position from Park on the gearknob.

I would then push the stick the left to engage DS or M

I hope that makes sense!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
On my 335D DS mode is when I push the gearstick the left - then its in permanent DS mode and I can also use the gearstick to manually change up and down like with paddles - in effect it will nudge slightly forward or backwards allowing for a manual change as per the paddles.

D for me is just the 4th position from Park on the gearknob.

I would then push the stick the left to engage DS or M

I hope that makes sense!!

Matt
That’s funny, in my 335i when the gearstick gets pushed to the left it goes into the M selection
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine goes into DS - and then when I push it forward or use the paddles - it then goes into M...

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine goes into DS - and then when I push it forward or use the paddles - it then goes into M...

Matt

Oohh, that make sense now. I'll give it a blast on the way home. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

lol well if I have just opened that up to you - congratulations, you have a whole load of fun to be had with both hands on the wheel

hehe!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
lol well if I have just opened that up to you - congratulations, you have a whole load of fun to be had with both hands on the wheel

hehe!

Matt

This is seriously good news for me, I have had the thing about a month now and love it to bits but have become slightly frustrated by the fact there is never any revs when you want them (in Auto). Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool mate, will be nice to hear how it improves things for you - I suspect it will be almost like those who go from non remapped to remapped!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

speaking of which have you gone down that route yet? (remap)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

No mate, but I close in every day - I cant justify my own arguments against for much longer, its either that or change the car and I dont want to do that!!

Also, I have now booked my hol to France in June, so I WILL be having a remap and LSD fitted before then.

In effect, in the next 5 or 6 weeks really.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Look forward to hearing what you think once it happens. I am so tempted, even have dreams about it (how fu*king sad). I really have two little people on each shoulder, one telling me to get it done and the other telling me how stupid it would be to screw the warranty, insurance increases and non BMW people tinkering with my pride and joy
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I had mine 1 week and got it done - in fact I am also getting better MPG's since the remap also which I am astounded with !

To be honest I dont understand peeps who dont get it done, if someone buys a 335D then they must be at least a partial speed junkie so just add more power for a small investment - such a no brainer, well it was for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you have any concerns about the remap? Things like loss of warranty, insurance increases (if told) and non BMW people tinkering with your new pride and joy? I am very tempted to get this done on my 335i, There is nothing but positive eedback from the boys at evolve, but i still have reservations
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Did you have any concerns about the remap? Things like loss of warranty, insurance increases (if told) and non BMW people tinkering with your new pride and joy? I am very tempted to get this done on my 335i, There is nothing but positive eedback from the boys at evolve, but i still have reservations
Had mine done at Evolve based on the comments from this forum. I can echo the positive feedback ! If I have any issues I need to deal with with i will get it mapped back to standard anyways. Insurance is a flat £75 increase for remaps at Direct Line.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post

ONCE AGAIN!!!....great write up from Tony!!!!.....he strikes again!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:10 AM   #19
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
Had mine done at Evolve based on the comments from this forum. I can echo the positive feedback ! If I have any issues I need to deal with with i will get it mapped back to standard anyways. Insurance is a flat £75 increase for remaps at Direct Line.
I wonder if the remap is the reason that you car drives the same no matter what drive (M,D,DS) its in?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
I wonder if the remap is the reason that you car drives the same no matter what drive (M,D,DS) its in?
Who knows ? one thing I do know is that it is bloody fast in any mode !
Appreciate 0