E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 335iS Thread - [ Owners Only ]

03-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #1871
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Very, very nice track setup!

I'm looking forward to my first day of the season at the end of the month!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #1872
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Joining the club. This car has to be one of the best finds and bargains around. Chassis was allocated in Bavaria last night! I wanted this to be focused completely on the driving experience and cannot wait to get my first real performance oriented BMW.

335iS
Alpine White/Dakota Black
19" 313s
Premium package
Satellite radio
Heated seats
Deleted sunroof

I am still on the fence about the DCT vs manual. I have driven manual all my life but after driving the DCT on a 2.8 Z4 (try the transmission), I am on the fence. Going back today to take care of the remaining paperwork and am test driving a car with each transmission. I think I might miss the manual but the N54 seems like it is perfect for the DCT. I do auto-cross and track, but that hasn't swayed me their way!

I know this has been beaten to death, and it seems to boil down to go with what you like. Anyone regret the transmission decision they made? I definitely did my research, but aside from the DCT launch control, are there any other major differences that come with either the DCT or manual? I still have a few days before they start the construction.

Happy to be part of the crowd. This car is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #1873
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I *love* my DCT. One of the reasons why I choose this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #1874
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The dealership I am buying the car at let me borrow their DCT Z4 to get a little more acclimated. The sounds and auditory/sensory experience was much more involving than I had anticipated with that transmission.

Impressions:

DCT - Wicked fast and a lot of fun once you started to get the hang of it (timing is a fraction of second between manual mode and when auto kicks in to either upshift or down shift). I definitely experimented with the transmission to find what it's shift point was. The sound on the Z4 and the responsiveness with that transmission still blew me away even after it being my second time behind the wheel and it married to the 2.0T motor.

However, I noticed at times, I was fighting the transmission regarding timing so as to avoid it shifting for me, and when I did have the auto-shift kick in despite being in M mode, and I got pissed off (understand that the transmission is doing it to protect itself but it still bothered me). I also noticed that I was looking at the console more than I was ahead and that really bothered me since there is no inherent muscle memory regarding the paddles and what gear you are in.

All in all, I felt that it has the potential, but I missed total control. At times I felt like a rifleman who has only fired rifles and you are suddenly given a full machine gun. Yeh you can spray bullets, but to control it is a whole different story.

I also test drove the stick and it felt okay. Frankly, my trade in (2010 Z) felt snappier so far as the gates went. I loved the 6MT clutch. It took a little getting used too but was effortless once you got the hang of things. 2nd to 3rd was odd at times but nothing I could not get over and getting downshift was easier so far as rev-matching and so on.

And the big thing was 100% total control.

After driving the DCT car and getting back into my old car, my old car felt more "cumbersome" but once I got the feel back for it, I noticed I was more in tune with the manual transmission than I had been in the past.

It is a lease and I can turn it in, but again, I feel like I have the F22 or Spitfire dilemma. Do you go for what is technically superior and can nail everything around it? Or do you go for what is more fun despite it not being as quick (regardless if it is a .1 second difference). Yes I do drive in traffic and manual does not bother me at all from that standpoint. I also track and auto-cross so the times are what appeals to me. Not to mention you do get launch control.

I will have to make a decision tomorrow but thanks for letting me think outloud.

Frankly, I am still on the fence and despite all the help, I am still unsure of whether I should take the chance on the "F22 technology" or stick to what I know that allows me full control.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #1875
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Keep in mind that getting acclimated to a DCT takes time too, and once you do a different kind of memory kicks in. For me, three sounds, vibrations, and engine braking all influence my shift points. Hey, if F1, WRC etc etc drivers use it well, it can't be that muted of an experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #1876
hellomyBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
The dealership I am buying the car at let me borrow their DCT Z4 to get a little more acclimated. The sounds and auditory/sensory experience was much more involving than I had anticipated with that transmission.

Impressions:

DCT - Wicked fast and a lot of fun once you started to get the hang of it (timing is a fraction of second between manual mode and when auto kicks in to either upshift or down shift). I definitely experimented with the transmission to find what it's shift point was. The sound on the Z4 and the responsiveness with that transmission still blew me away even after it being my second time behind the wheel and it married to the 2.0T motor.

However, I noticed at times, I was fighting the transmission regarding timing so as to avoid it shifting for me, and when I did have the auto-shift kick in despite being in M mode, and I got pissed off (understand that the transmission is doing it to protect itself but it still bothered me). I also noticed that I was looking at the console more than I was ahead and that really bothered me since there is no inherent muscle memory regarding the paddles and what gear you are in.

All in all, I felt that it has the potential, but I missed total control. At times I felt like a rifleman who has only fired rifles and you are suddenly given a full machine gun. Yeh you can spray bullets, but to control it is a whole different story.

I also test drove the stick and it felt okay. Frankly, my trade in (2010 Z) felt snappier so far as the gates went. I loved the 6MT clutch. It took a little getting used too but was effortless once you got the hang of things. 2nd to 3rd was odd at times but nothing I could not get over and getting downshift was easier so far as rev-matching and so on.

And the big thing was 100% total control.

After driving the DCT car and getting back into my old car, my old car felt more "cumbersome" but once I got the feel back for it, I noticed I was more in tune with the manual transmission than I had been in the past.

It is a lease and I can turn it in, but again, I feel like I have the F22 or Spitfire dilemma. Do you go for what is technically superior and can nail everything around it? Or do you go for what is more fun despite it not being as quick (regardless if it is a .1 second difference). Yes I do drive in traffic and manual does not bother me at all from that standpoint. I also track and auto-cross so the times are what appeals to me. Not to mention you do get launch control.

I will have to make a decision tomorrow but thanks for letting me think outloud.

Frankly, I am still on the fence and despite all the help, I am still unsure of whether I should take the chance on the "F22 technology" or stick to what I know that allows me full control.
Get the DCT!
I too, contemplated between the two DCT and 6 SPD manual for my 335is and I do not regret my decision at all. Yes, I do miss driving a manual sometimes but DCT you can still have fun in manual mode. Additionally, DCT (auto tranny) will hold boost while shifting.
Whichever direction you go towards, you will still enjoy daily driving your N54!
When I used to have my X5, I hated driving... but after trading it in for 335is, I love driving my car! Not to mention spring/summer time is right around the corner!
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #1877
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the childish fun of shifting in a tunnel under WOT or near WOT with the windows down and listening to the ignition cutout because, well, racecar. :-D
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #1878
RyanC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
Joining the club. This car has to be one of the best finds and bargains around. Chassis was allocated in Bavaria last night! I wanted this to be focused completely on the driving experience and cannot wait to get my first real performance oriented BMW.

335iS
Alpine White/Dakota Black
19" 313s
Premium package
Satellite radio
Heated seats
Deleted sunroof

I am still on the fence about the DCT vs manual. I have driven manual all my life but after driving the DCT on a 2.8 Z4 (try the transmission), I am on the fence. Going back today to take care of the remaining paperwork and am test driving a car with each transmission. I think I might miss the manual but the N54 seems like it is perfect for the DCT. I do auto-cross and track, but that hasn't swayed me their way!

I know this has been beaten to death, and it seems to boil down to go with what you like. Anyone regret the transmission decision they made? I definitely did my research, but aside from the DCT launch control, are there any other major differences that come with either the DCT or manual? I still have a few days before they start the construction.

Happy to be part of the crowd. This car is awesome.
Congrats on the purchase. As far as transmission choice, there isn't a wrong answer to this. I went 6MT because I've regretted getting an automatic in my last 2 cars. I have seen cases where people have gone with the DCT and regretted it, but they were most likely hardcore manual people seduced by the instant shift speeds in the DCT. The only thing I didn't like when I test drove a DCT 335is was that when I had it in full auto mode, I felt like the transmission was in a hurry to get into 7th for fuel savings rather than holding the lower gears a bit longer. But that's really splitting hairs, both are great transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #1879
RyanC
Enlisted Member
Rep

If I can take a moment to beat a dead horse for a minute, is there a consensus on which ECU tune is better with regards to warranty risk? Obviously, you are taking your warranty into your own hands, and each tune will have its own fans for its performance. But I'm asking more about whether one is more 'invisible' once its removed and at the dealer.

To illustrate, I was leaning toward a Cobb accessport, because I prefer that it reflashes the fuel and timing tables, and allows the ECU to process actual data inputs from the sensors such as boost pressure, rather than manipulating the inputs to the ECU such as with the JB4. Now, I'm thinking that the JB4 could be better for warranty concerns, because the ECU never registers that it saw boost levels above stock. Does anyone ever have issues with taking their car to the dealer after the tune has been removed and getting flak from the dealer? Or am I just being paranoid, should get the tune I want, and join that tune's base of fanboys in the everlasting flame war?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #1880
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure the ecu datalogs that info though... Does it?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #1881
RyanC
Enlisted Member
Rep

My understanding is that in events such as an engine failure, the ECU can be read to determine sensor readings such as boost, air temp, oil temp and pressure, etc. at the time of the failure. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the ECU also stores peak readings.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #1882
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am still on the fence! I have had to make some pretty shitty decisions in my life of which all seemed pretty clear cut, but I have never been hung up like this.

The dealership called and I even declined the call to buy more time! =O

F--k...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1883
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am still on the fence! I have had to make some pretty shitty decisions in my life of which all seemed pretty clear cut, but I have never been hung up like this.

The dealership called and I even declined the call to buy more time! =O

F--k...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #1884
JiggaWang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SS M4

Picked mine up 2 weeks ago! My first MT car and I love it! Pics are from my dealer before I picked it up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #1885
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great car!

I test drove the 6MT in the 335i yesterday. Does the 335iS come with the short throw specifically designed for the car? I have heard conflicting information this is both does and does not.

I am leaning toward the DCT to try something new.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #1886
JiggaWang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SS M4

I can't say for sure because I've never driven a regular 335i with MT, but my sales guy told me it is different from the regular 335i. I test drove a DCT too and thought the MT was more fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #1887
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the DCT. Going to take a plunge. I had fun with both systems, but my curiosity got the better of me. Obviously, the DCT can be touchy with downshifting, but I figured I learned how to drive stick back in the day so I can learn how to drive this.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Will post updates and pictures. Happy to be part of the family!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #1888
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good choice you will end up loving it
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1889
Daiz4yota
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 AW M8 Competition Coupe

My 2011 got totaled a few weeks ago, and the insurance company just came through big time. Looks like ill be ordering a 2013 IS in the next week or so. Think im going to pass on the navigation to make it more comparable in price to what I paid for my 2011 m sport at the time. Only thing I cant decide (like everyone else), is whether to do DCT or MT. Last one was MT and I enjoyed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #1890
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just went through that dilemma. PM me if you need therapy! =D

Order was locked in today. Delivery scheduled for late April, early May. Have to break her in and it's off to SCCA auto-crossing and VIR track days!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #1891
Daiz4yota
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 AW M8 Competition Coupe

just feel like the MT makes it more of a true sport car. Makes you more "involved"
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #1892
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

You're going to enjoy the DCT; it's the future, and great for the daily commute!

Played around with photoshop and got myself a new wallpaper
Appreciate 0