E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > A yellow liquid in my water reservoir (pic inside)

07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
KW1Xan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

A yellow liquid in my water reservoir (pic inside)

So today I checked my water reservoir since its been so hot here in Florida. It was about an inch low and so I looked inside to make sure at least the coolant inside was ok. Its definitely yellowish so Im freaking out. It doesn't smell like oil and when I rubbed my finger in the inside rim it doesn't feel like oil was there. I have no lose in power and no significant oil lose so I doubt its something major. What I really want to know is how to precede. The car is at 61k miles, runs perfectly fine, Ive had zero issues with it, and no warning lights. Im sure I need to get it flushed, but Ive heard its a pain in the butt to DIY? Is there something I can do now to at least fill up my water reservoir? Im not sure what coolant is in it which makes me not want to touch it till its flushed. Ive just started doing all maintenance myself since engineering school has made me less scared to do it. Can someone give me some advice.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
It looks like youre low on coolant. The yellowish kinda looks like the white plastic piece thats on the level stick is just discolored maybe?

But draining your coolant and filling it is super easy. If you have ramps, 8mm socket, screw driver your good to go. Simple as draining old coolant, then refilling then doing the bleeding procedure. Theres a DIY tutorial in the DIY section of this form with step by step guide.
      07-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
It looks like youre low on coolant. The yellowish kinda looks like the white plastic piece thats on the level stick is just discolored maybe?

But draining your coolant and filling it is super easy. If you have ramps, 8mm socket, screw driver your good to go. Simple as draining old coolant, then refilling then doing the bleeding procedure. Theres a DIY tutorial in the DIY section of this form with step by step guide.
This is correct. What you are seeing is the Styrofoam float on the bottom of the level indicator stick; it’s just been discolored by the coolant. BMW coolant is blue. Fill the reservoir with BMW coolant mixed with 50% distilled water (50/50 mix) until the second ball on the end of the stick is level with the top of the filler neck. Simple.

Here's the DIY if you want to drain and fill the system.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...Coolant+change

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-14-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0