E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Help?! How to fix things after a hit and run.

04-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
e90marriage
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 sparkling graphite

Help?! How to fix things after a hit and run.

Many thanks to IanColeX and paulkim510 for the suggestion of moving this thread to a larger forum for quicker remedy.

Hi All, I'm seeking some input on getting my husband's car fixed after playing victim to a hit and run today. Attached are some pix of the hit on the back passenger side. (Looks like the culprit is a trailer of some sort). Im trying to get this fixed before my husband gets home in 2 weeks. I'm not sure how to go about it...with/without insurance. Not sure if I should pay out right if insurance will go up on this.

IanColeX was kind enough to suggest getting estimates done at some reputable body shops and then factor that against the insurance deductible. I saw the thread for autobody shops in O.C. and will be in contact with them. However, does anyone have suggestions for autoshops in Bakersfield besides the BMW dealer here? Thanks in advance. 2007 335i Sparkling Graphite
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
e90marriage
Rep

pix of her pain..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

Hello, that's going to be:

Repair and Repaint Passenger side quarter panel
Repaint Passenger side skirt
Repair and Repaint Passenger side rear door
and Realign door if necessary.

What you're going to do:
Give your agent a call during business hours (or your insurance company) and let them know what happened that you were parked properly in a safe spot for whatever reason and you returned to your car with the following (stated above) damages.

Then ask them how this would effect your coverage if you claimed it because you're clearly not at fault. Now if you're well familiar with your insurance policy you should know if you'd be accountable for these damages or not. MOST full cover policies will give you a free pass on this since this was not your fault.

Next if you have AAA go ahead and let them take care of everything they'll come pick up your car, drop off a loaner, and send it to their AAA certified shop.

If you do not then I'd suggest you go to your local trusted body shop (that you've had good experience before) and get their information (Shop Advisor Name, Shop Name, Address, Number) your insurance would need that when/if you make the claim. You can also get a quote from the bodyshop at this time to keep alternate routes open.

If you do not have a bodyshop.. then Hello, =) My name is Eric and I represent a Body Repair Collision Shop in San Gabriel 130 Agostino Road San Gabriel 91776. I'll be glad to give you a proper estimate as well as handle the repairs of your car =) Please PM or call me during business hours at 626-592-3103 for more information or if you just have any questions at all I wouldn't mind taking the time to answer them.

- Eric
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Mehale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@e2design View Post

What you're going to do:
Give your agent a call during business hours (or your insurance company) and let them know what happened that you were parked properly in a safe spot for whatever reason and you returned to your car with the following (stated above) damages.

Then ask them how this would effect your coverage if you claimed it because you're clearly not at fault. Now if you're well familiar with your insurance policy you should know if you'd be accountable for these damages or not. MOST full cover policies will give you a free pass on this since this was not your fault.

Next if you have AAA go ahead and let them take care of everything they'll come pick up your car, drop off a loaner, and send it to their AAA certified shop.

If you do not then I'd suggest you go to your local trusted body shop (that you've had good experience before) and get their information (Shop Advisor Name, Shop Name, Address, Number) your insurance would need that when/if you make the claim. You can also get a quote from the bodyshop at this time to keep alternate routes open.

If you do not have a bodyshop.. then Hello, =) My name is Eric and I represent a Body Repair Collision Shop in San Gabriel 130 Agostino Road San Gabriel 91776. I'll be glad to give you a proper estimate as well as handle the repairs of your car =) Please PM or call me during business hours at 626-592-3103 for more information or if you just have any questions at all I wouldn't mind taking the time to answer them.

- Eric
Wow... I'd say this guy just covered your issue and then some... GJ Eric.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Wow, that looks more like someone took a corner too sharp when leaving a gas pump. I have seen that a couple times in my life before and it looked just like that.
Either way, I would go through insurance, after all that is what you pay for it for.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
CasperSYTFU
SYTFU Crew
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 Toyota FJ

Garage List
yea doesnt look too much like car paint to car paint transfer. sure there were no corners cut exiting a parking spot next to a pillar?
      04-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
e90marriage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@e2design View Post

What you're going to do:

- Eric
That's some serious advice. Thank you! Gonna get started on the phone calls. Will be touch with you this weekend if I can't find anyone locally in Bakersfield.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
e90marriage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperSYTFU View Post
yea doesnt look too much like car paint to car paint transfer. sure there were no corners cut exiting a parking spot next to a pillar?
I know! I can't make out what the peach stuff that was transferred onto the car is. The car was parked at a hospital lot out in Bakersfield where there are a slew different cars and trucks with trailers out in this rural area. The lines are so straight and low that i assume it came off a trailer. I'm trying not to rub anything off so that its easier to id if that vehicle returns this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
CasperSYTFU
SYTFU Crew
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
theres also some good curb damage on that rear wheel... only thing is it wraps half the wheel where a hit from a car wouldn't contact unless it was moving at time of impact. was it pre existing?
      04-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
theres also some good curb damage on that rear wheel... only thing is it wraps half the wheel where a hit from a car wouldn't contact unless it was moving at time of impact. was it pre existing?
I am seeing the same thing. That is why I assumed its not a trailer or another car. It just doesn't look like that type of damage.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
e90marriage
Rep

[QUOTE=RambleJ;9295484]
Quote:
I am seeing the same thing. That is why I assumed its not a trailer or another car. It just doesn't look like that type of damage.[/QUOTE

You guys are right, the road rash/curb damage is from me failing to get a tight parallel park on more than one occasion.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
e90marriage
Rep

Deductible is $1000 and the State Farm sponsored autobody shop(s) are quoting approx. above $1000 but will give final numbers tomorrow. I did run into a retired body shop owner who now works from his home and rents a spray place when its time to paint. He showed step by step pictures of a truck he recently repaired and that of his daughter's BMW bumper he worked on as well. The repairs look great and the quote is for $500 including all parts and ordered vin#paint. Such a bad temptation! lol.

Last edited by e90marriage; 04-06-2011 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
e90marriage
Rep

Just sharing a story...pocketing $500 is not worth the scolding I will get for years to come for taking a risk with this nice man. If he agrees to do 3 coats of clear coat is it then worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
kmoto
vroom
Rep
Drives: Grocery Getter

Garage List
2023 G80 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 335i e92  [10.00]
sorry to hear about the car :-/ but I hope you're not posting from your husbands account...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
e90marriage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoto335i View Post
sorry to hear about the car :-/ but I hope you're not posting from your husbands account...
Lol. No, i recently opened this to seek the advice of the members. He "should" be preoccupied with upcoming exams to keep current with postings...although, a simple check of my email account would reveal everything... and then I'd be free!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
e90marriage
Rep

4 Estimates from the Insurance approved autobody shops in Bakersfield are ranging from $2500 -$1300. $2500 is for a new door because one shop was worried about the electronics and wires involved. He said something about "no skins/doorpanels" are manufactured. This was confusing since the other shops that want to fix the door panel, had prices ranging from 1600 to 1300. In comparing the estimates, price differences were is solely based on estimated labor differences since parts run $20. Since my deductible is $1000, wouldn't it make sense to go with the shop that's offering the new door. Sadly, none of the Ins approved shops in Bakersfield and OC match the shops recommended in the OC autobody thread! How do I know if these shops will do a proper job?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
CasperSYTFU
SYTFU Crew
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If you're going with insurance then yes go for the top quote
Get on yelp and read reviews
      04-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
If you are going through insurance, take it to spectrum collision
      04-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

Seriously, unless you are looking for a divorce. You need to come clean with him. If my wife did this to me, I wouldn't divorce her (20 years so far)but I would be so pissed off at her for a very long time.
Unless he can't tell a good paint job from a bad one also he will notice the difference.
It wasn't your fault, don't lie to him.
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
e90marriage
Rep

Quote:
If you're going with insurance then yes go for the top quote
Get on yelp and read reviews
I yelped the autobody shops given by the insurance before bringing it in for the estimates and general autoshop experiences reviews in Bako is low in genneral so may have to make the trip to OC for BMW experienced shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
If you are going through insurance, take it to spectrum collision
The reviews on the craftsmanship are great! Thanks for the tip. I'm a little fearful of the time delay of weeks to months that others experienced with them. I understand that exceptional work takes time and can appreciate the confidence they provide but i have less than 2 weeks to make this right before the hubby gets home.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Call him and tell him what happened. I don't think he's going to care about the car more than you. Come clean and don't be shady. Honesty is key. Maybe he doesn't want it repaired or he has a body shop that can repair it. Don't do it on your own. His car, his business.
      04-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #22
e90marriage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Seriously, unless you are looking for a divorce. You need to come clean with him. If my wife did this to me, I wouldn't divorce her (20 years so far)but I would be so pissed off at her for a very long time.
Unless he can't tell a good paint job from a bad one also he will notice the difference.
It wasn't your fault, don't lie to him.
No worries, been doing alot of back and forth, and I'll drop the news before I get any repairs done. Just wanted to get all the info, estimates, and dates lined up before telling him so that he has little to fret over and can keep focused on his things. Good looking out
Appreciate 0