E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Strut mounts noise issue

12-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
ruthless
Rep
Drives: 325i LCI

Strut mounts noise issue

been getting the annoying noise from the strut mounts over any speed bumps/rough roads at low speed since I lowered the car with pss10(10 clicks from softest all round, height set at medium), replaced the upper strut mounts 2 times but its only good for a couple hundred miles, then noise comes back on!
any idea what the culprit of the problem might be?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
sn0pea
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 325i 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
been getting the annoying noise from the strut mounts over any speed bumps/rough roads at low speed since I lowered the car with pss10(10 clicks from softest all round, height set at medium), replaced the upper strut mounts 2 times but its only good for a couple hundred miles, then noise comes back on!
any idea what the culprit of the problem might be?
Does it sound like a metal clanging noise? I get that in my front suspension. I've been told its the swaybar end links need tightening for the lower control arm bushings or the strut seats. Maybe some things to try

2006 325i: Matte Black Grills, AG m310 19's (19X8.5et35 & 19X9.5et33 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19), Amber Covers, Magnaflow with black tips, Blacked Emblems, M3 Replica Bumper and Vorsteiner hood!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
ruthless
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0pea View Post
Does it sound like a metal clanging noise? I get that in my front suspension. I've been told its the swaybar end links need tightening for the lower control arm bushings or the strut seats. Maybe some things to try
I tried to tighten anything but didn't help. I am sure the noise is from the upper strut mounts. thx for your suggestion tho.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
MDiesel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Hi,

I had the same problem with bilstein PSS struts from day one (bought new), the installation was double checked and I also changed the upper strut mounts.

The problem was solved when I got them out and went back to original struts/springs so I´m pretty sure the culprits were the bilstein struts.

What I´ve experienced was clunking noise at very low speeds and when I lifted one corner of the car by hand (balancing it left to right).

It had also some kind of strut stiction because when I lifted, by hand, one corner of the car, the height of that corner didn´t returned to the initial position (I measured 10-15 mm difference), the strut piston was sticking.

I think that there are other users that experienced the same problem.

I´ve made a complaint to them and I got a refund.
E90 320d MSport | Dakota Terra | Blacklines | Öhlins R&T 343F/686R | Swift Thrust Sheets | M3 Front Control/ Tension Arm Kit | M3 Rear Guide Rod and Upper Link Kit | M3 Subframe Bushes | M3 Anti-roll bar bushes | BMWP Brakes Front+Rear | Ferodo DS2500 |Goodridge Brake Lines | MTEC V3 |
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
ruthless
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDiesel View Post
Hi,

I had the same problem with bilstein PSS struts from day one (bought new), the installation was double checked and I also changed the upper strut mounts.

The problem was solved when I got them out and went back to original struts/springs so I´m pretty sure the culprits were the bilstein struts.

What I´ve experienced was clunking noise at very low speeds and when I lifted one corner of the car by hand (balancing it left to right).

It had also some kind of strut stiction because when I lifted, by hand, one corner of the car, the height of that corner didn´t returned to the initial position (I measured 10-15 mm difference), the strut piston was sticking.

I think that there are other users that experienced the same problem.

I´ve made a complaint to them and I got a refund.
Thanks for your sharing, I also suspect that its the struts causing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

My JIC Coilovers made a creaking noise cause by the top of the strut hitting the strut tower brace. A washer on each side fixed the problem.

Doesn't sound like what you have going on though.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
ruthless
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
My JIC Coilovers made a creaking noise cause by the top of the strut hitting the strut tower brace. A washer on each side fixed the problem.

Doesn't sound like what you have going on though.
thanks for your input man!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
KennyB
Rep
Drives: 07" E92 335i

Just installed pss10 and hnr sways and I'm getting the same noise at low speeds. Also when o reverse and fully turn wheel left or right makes rubbing and clunking noise.

What should I do? sell pss and get sth else?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

ok....When you guys installed the PSS10s, did you install the conical washer that came with the front struts or not?

If you did, then that's the problem, you don't need to install the conical washer....Unless if there's NOT a conical washer already welded to the top hat (on the bottom side), then you'll need to install the conical washers included with the PSS10s.....

I ran into the same issue, because essentially when you install the conical washers included with the PSS10, you're stacking TWO washers on top of each other, and that's NOT necessary.....

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

I have also posted a thread and pictures of my previous setup, with the conical washer installed. You can clearly see that there's two washers stacked.....

You can see it by taking off the wheel and lifting the car up on jacks.

If that's not your issue, then it's probably the end-links.

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
ruthless
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
I have also posted a thread and pictures of my previous setup, with the conical washer installed. You can clearly see that there's two washers stacked.....

I didn't installed the washers and I also replaced the end-links, but didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post

Link?
Appreciate 0