E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Burning rubber smell

02-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Burning rubber smell

I was having a bit of fun in DS mode tonight. When I came home I realized there was "burnt rubber" smell coming from the back of the car. I've done searches on this forum and some members have had this happen with their BMW's in DS mode as well, but they were relatively new (just a couple months old).

The E90 is a 2010 model, with only 21k Miles on it. Any ideas as to what it could be?
      02-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Assuming your car is a 335i and not a 335xi it is probably really burning rubber... I bet a couple times your tires broke loose and you got some wheel spin and that's probably what your smelling
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Assuming your car is a 335i and not a 335xi it is probably really burning rubber... I bet a couple times your tires broke loose and you got some wheel spin and that's probably what your smelling
Interesting. The smell was coming from the back-left of the car, and I heard a very harsh "tick tick tick tick" noise too. I was worried that maybe during the ride I had damaged the engine with wrong up-shifts and downshifts (though I believe the computer prevents "miss-shift" damage from happening?).

I did a quick search and members on the forum have said the ticking noise could be normal and related to injectors. Would that be a similar case here or is this enough to warrant a vehicle inspection?
      02-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

You might want to get the car to the dealer. With the independent rear suspension in the E90 if you are getting noise and a smell I would guess that the increased torque and HP from DS mode may be exposing an issue that does not come up in normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Depends what you were doing. If you're engaging traction control, it could be your brakes overheating. (smell + noise).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Really why is this even a question? The burning rubber smell is from your tires. Mine smell a couple times a month because of my driving. The ticking sound is probably some metal piece cooling down from your "spirited" drive. It's probably the exhaust though.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
You might want to get the car to the dealer. With the independent rear suspension in the E90 if you are getting noise and a smell I would guess that the increased torque and HP from DS mode may be exposing an issue that does not come up in normal mode.
No stop scaring him.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
MacR6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Really why is this even a question? The burning rubber smell is from your tires. Mine smell a couple times a month because of my driving. The ticking sound is probably some metal piece cooling down from your "spirited" drive. It's probably the exhaust though.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Thanks so much
      02-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Interesting. The smell was coming from the back-left of the car, and I heard a very harsh "tick tick tick tick" noise too. I was worried that maybe during the ride I had damaged the engine with wrong up-shifts and downshifts (though I believe the computer prevents "miss-shift" damage from happening?).

I did a quick search and members on the forum have said the ticking noise could be normal and related to injectors. Would that be a similar case here or is this enough to warrant a vehicle inspection?
if its from the engine after a long drive or you were driving hard, that's the metal under the car expanding from being hot, common on many cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

if it smells like burt rubber after driving hard then thats what its from. its fine. also that ticking is everything cooling down after being pushed hard. perfectly normal.
Appreciate 0