E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New fuels. Any potential?

04-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

New fuels. Any potential?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/highe...t-report-says/So what do you guys think about this article? Would our cars even be able to run 114 octane? If so what would be the tuning potential HP\torque wise? And would it make our cars more efficient at the same time with the proper tune?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

While our engines do experience benefits from higher octane, I'd put this up there with flying cars and floating cities from Popular Mechanics.

I work in the oil and gas industry, specifically refineries - even if this were real, by the time it was widespread most E9x's and N52 powered cars will long been off the roads anyway.

Refined products is an extremely slow moving industry - I've worked 6 years on one project and it was just to replace an existing facility. A whole new process could take 10 years to hash out.

Also that article repeats a common fallacy among automotive enthusiasts - that europe already has higher octane. 98 ron, yeah, is a bigger number than 92 mon - but the difference is in the tests, not the fuels. RON is a lower threshold than MON, and the ratings are not directly comparable. Really, 98 RON is no better than our best premium fuels - and most of our refineries are every bit as sophisticated at the process level.

Last edited by hassmaschine; 04-28-2017 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Volasko705.00