E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Externally recording car exhaust sounds without wind noise?

01-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
dryicerx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Externally recording car exhaust sounds without wind noise?

I'm in the planning stages of creating another driving video... except I want to capture the true exhaust sound along with the video. I'm using a canon 7D externally mounted using a gripped 3025 suction cup, along with a Zoom H1 recorder also placed externally, but the sound recorded from both of them were completely useless due to wind noise.

I've tried a deadcat/fluffy cover, socks, although they help.. at high speeds, they are about as useless.

The only option I haven't explored is making a kind of a tripod/arm that extends about 5 feet behind the car, so the microphone would be in draft of the car... hopefully without much wind to cause noise. BUT this is kind of bulky and required a lot of work.

Are there any other locations/tricks/tips on recording the car's exhaust sounds externally while keeping wind noise out?

An earlier video I did had to throw away all the car sounds due to wind noise, don't want to do that mistake again. The 335is's exhaust is too precious to be thrown out like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

separate recording device with the mic mounted in the air inside of the trunk.

some also put dead cats over the mics and tape them flat against bumpers.

others use directional mics pointed toward the car as it passes by.

you could also record your car on a dyno running through various gears. no wind noise at all.

the AGC in the 7D makes it pretty lousy for recording any kind of decent audio. you're gonna need to look at recording separately in pretty much any case.

Last edited by FStop7; 01-07-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

lol....this is how I read that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
some also put dead cats over the mice and tape them flat against bumpers.
I was disturbed for a minute.
      01-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I have used my gopro HD with good results recording the exhaust. I placed it on the bumper over and to the side of the exhaust. no wind buffeting. I am planning on buying a portable digital audio recorder with and external mic and later sync it up with my video. was thinking on placing the recorder in the trunk and taping the mic to the bumper. below is a link from a track day last summer. I used multiple angles from different sessions and then tried to sync them all up. it's not perfectly sync'd because my times were off from one session to the next but overall I was happy for my first attempt. with the addition of a digital audio recorder I should be able to get perfect sync. here is the link