E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Servicing/cleaning the PCV/CCV system on an N54

03-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
soundquest
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i SULEV (N51 engine)

Servicing/cleaning the PCV/CCV system on an N54

I have learned a great deal about the PCV/CCV system on our cars from this thread here

But what is not clear is exactly how one goes about opening the PCV system that is built right into the valve cover. Warm engine and a putty knife to gently pry open the PCV cover? Permatex Black to seal it back up after everything is cleaned?

Am also wondering (as I know it it has been talked about in several threads) if there is a truly external aftermarket PCV/CCV system that can be installed as a bypass to this problematic on-board iteration? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundquest View Post
I have learned a great deal about the PCV/CCV system on our cars from this thread here

But what is not clear is exactly how one goes about opening the PCV system that is built right into the valve cover. Warm engine and a putty knife to gently pry open the PCV cover? Permatex Black to seal it back up after everything is cleaned?

Am also wondering (as I know it it has been talked about in several threads) if there is a truly external aftermarket PCV/CCV system that can be installed as a bypass to this problematic on-board iteration? Thanks in advance.

Buy the following:
http://www.rbturbo.com/products/accessories/rbpcv
http://www.rbturbo.com/products/acce...e-screw-on-cap
http://www.rbturbo.com/products/acce...-pcv-vent-hose

Watch videos here: *****************************=how+to+change+n54+pcv

Install a BMS OCC: http://www.n54tuning.com/bms-occ-n54/n55.html
I also hear that RB will be coming out with it's own OCC (rumors so far... since I have no link)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
soundquest
Private
Rep

I see an upgraded PCV valve (which I already have on order), upgraded PCV cap, OCC, and upgraded vent tube. Thank you for those links. However, none of these will offer any benefit if the internal CCV/PCV ventilation system inside the valve cover are clogged up. I am wanting to know the best method/approach for addressing this problem specifically. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
I see an upgraded PCV valve (which I already have on order), upgraded PCV cap, OCC, and upgraded vent tube. Thank you for those links. However, none of these will offer any benefit if the internal CCV/PCV ventilation system inside the valve cover are clogged up. I am wanting to know the best method/approach for addressing this problem specifically. Thanks.
You are correct, none of these things really address the factory PCV system

RB PCV valve - only stops boost pressure from going backwards through the valve, which is a negligible amount IMO.
RB PCV cap - just a stronger version of the plastic cap, no other function
Vent tube - just an OEM replacement tube if yours is old, broken, or clogged (which I've never seen happen, ever)
BMS catch can - for the boost-side PCV system, only operates when you're in boost which is a very small portion of the time

The PCV system in the valve cover is not serviceable. You need to replace the entire valve cover.

Or, externalize your PCV system as I have done: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235000

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
soundquest
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
You are correct, none of these things really address the factory PCV system

RB PCV valve - only stops boost pressure from going backwards through the valve, which is a negligible amount IMO.
RB PCV cap - just a stronger version of the plastic cap, no other function
Vent tube - just an OEM replacement tube if yours is old, broken, or clogged (which I've never seen happen, ever)
BMS catch can - for the boost-side PCV system, only operates when you're in boost which is a very small portion of the time

The PCV system in the valve cover is not serviceable. You need to replace the entire valve cover.

Or, externalize your PCV system as I have done: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235000
Thanks for the reply. Impressive homebrewed external PCV system on your rig. I'll get right on that... errr yeah -- impressive but not obtainable for the novice like myself. LOLZ.
I have done more research and it would appear you can indeed (contrary to popular opinion) service the internal PCV system. The PCV system can be accessed by prying open the port covers as seen in pictures posted by robc in post #13 of the link I posted in the first post of this thread. Once it is pryed open you can remove the components and clean out the clogged ports (creatively that is). On top of that, replacing the actual PCV valve itself is a must (with the upgraded PCV valve). I am surprised more people have not unertaken this job and that I read so much of "no, it can't be done, don't even try it. Instead, buy my products and all your problems will be solved." What amazes me even more is the fact that BMW continues to crank out out engines with shit CCV/PCV systems -- I mean it's not just for a generation here and there... it's the whole damn family line from one generation to the next. Drives me up the wall. Sure... they do other things great (even brilliant) but this shit plus their mickey mouse water pumps and plastic cooling hoses that break if you look at them crosseyed or so much as fart in their vicinity. Are they intentionally intentionally creating disposable luxury sports cars? And by now... I am venting...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Impressive homebrewed external PCV system on your rig. I'll get right on that... errr yeah -- impressive but not obtainable for the novice like myself. LOLZ.
I have done more research and it would appear you can indeed (contrary to popular opinion) service the internal PCV system. The PCV system can be accessed by prying open the port covers as seen in pictures posted by robc in post #13 of the link I posted in the first post of this thread. Once it is pryed open you can remove the components and clean out the clogged ports (creatively that is). On top of that, replacing the actual PCV valve itself is a must (with the upgraded PCV valve). I am surprised more people have not unertaken this job and that I read so much of "no, it can't be done, don't even try it. Instead, buy my products and all your problems will be solved." What amazes me even more is the fact that BMW continues to crank out out engines with shit CCV/PCV systems -- I mean it's not just for a generation here and there... it's the whole damn family line from one generation to the next. Drives me up the wall. Sure... they do other things great (even brilliant) but this shit plus their mickey mouse water pumps and plastic cooling hoses that break if you look at them crosseyed or so much as fart in their vicinity. Are they intentionally intentionally creating disposable luxury sports cars? And by now... I am venting...
He cut open the valve cover, he didn't pry it open. You cannot pry it open. Pretty sure it's all glued together, permanently.

It's not such a bad investment to replace the entire valve cover; with enough miles they tend to crack and leak oil all over the head.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
soundquest
Private
Rep

Pry is not the correct word. But if it can be cut open with a utility knife (cleanly) it can be glued back together with the appropriate adhesive. No?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pry is not the correct word. But if it can be cut open with a utility knife (cleanly) it can be glued back together with the appropriate adhesive. No?
I don't think it can be done cleanly. If you look closely at those pics, you can see the cut lines and how thick the plastic is. It would definitely take a cutting wheel or sawzall.

Also, that section of the valve cover it needs to be able to hold boost pressure, so whatever glue you use needs to be serious stuff.

Might be a fun project, but far easier to buy a new valve cover.

Might want to PM robc and get his opinion.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
soundquest
Private
Rep

Also, what is the definitive test that would indicate that the internal PCV system is clogged up? Not symptoms, but a definitive test. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
soundquest
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I don't think it can be done cleanly. If you look closely at those pics, you can see the cut lines and how thick the plastic is. It would definitely take a cutting wheel or sawzall.

Also, that section of the valve cover it needs to be able to hold boost pressure, so whatever glue you use needs to be serious stuff.

Might be a fun project, but far easier to buy a new valve cover.

Might want to PM robc and get his opinion.
I completely agree with you. Such a PITA though since I just replaced the VCG. Wish I would have know of this problem in advance -- otherwise I would have sprung for a new VC and just replaced the whole thing.

Also, does anyone know if the external PCV kit offered by RobB (RBturbo) is a true bypass? Or does it still use components of the stock PCV/VC?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #11
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Agreed with ferocity02 just buy the entire Valve Cover kit which includes a new gasket as well. Keep your old Valve Cover as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree with you. Such a PITA though since I just replaced the VCG. Wish I would have know of this problem in advance -- otherwise I would have sprung for a new VC and just replaced the whole thing.

Also, does anyone know if the external PCV kit offered by RobB (RBturbo) is a true bypass? Or does it still use components of the stock PCV/VC?
What I did is exactly what RB's kit does. I think it only bypasses the small ports that go into the head. I believe it maintains the cyclone separatos however. If you want to do a 100% bypass you would just need to install amother fitting somewhere in the valve cover and then run a line from the intake to this fitting with a PCV valve inline. This would be very easy but you would need to remove the valve cover in order to find a suitable place for the fitting.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #13
hoopvillian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I took my valve cover off and it was clean at 140k. Sprayed brake cleaner through the ports and everything flowed. My opinion is it'll be fine if you did frequent enough oil changes
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 01:59 AM   #14
soundquest
Private
Rep

The only problem is... the previous owner did not perform regular oil changes. When I opened the oil cooler to replace the leaking oil cooler gasket for instance... it looked like chocolate syrup with coffee grinds mixed in -- flowed like mole-asses. So, this should give you some idea. However, under the valve cover in the valve train... things were not that bad actually like you see some engines where the timing chains are plagued with chud. So... I guess I just really need a definitive way to determine (without removing valve cover) if the internal PCV passages are plugged. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
hoopvillian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
The only problem is... the previous owner did not perform regular oil changes. When I opened the oil cooler to replace the leaking oil cooler gasket for instance... it looked like chocolate syrup with coffee grinds mixed in -- flowed like mole-asses. So, this should give you some idea. However, under the valve cover in the valve train... things were not that bad actually like you see some engines where the timing chains are plagued with chud. So... I guess I just really need a definitive way to determine (without removing valve cover) if the internal PCV passages are plugged. Any ideas?
In this case I'd just shell out for a new valve cover. You can take the old one off and shoot brake cleaner or water through the ports, see if they flow. Maybe run some seafoam or internal engine cleaner before doing that so the new one doesnt get gunked up quick.
Appreciate 0