E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP PLESE My HIDS Won't stop flickering

11-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
TurtleSAE
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328I E90

Exclamation HELP PLESE My HIDS Won't stop flickering

So today I got my JLM hid kits 30000k and 3000k for my fogs and headlights and everything works and looks great... for about 10 seconds then everything starts flicking like a strobe light. It has to be something with the kit and not the install because it is happen to all four lights (2 fogs and 2 Headlights). Please does anyone know the solution to this as of right now my car is not in drivable because i really dont want to take off my bumper again till i have a solution to this problem. Also I have read about Anti-flickering harnesses and capacitors, do you think either of those two are the solution? do i need to get my ECU reflashed from BMW?

Alittle more detail: my car is a 2008 BMW 328i the install was plug and play and used the factory wiring to the battery so no direct wiring to the battery. My headlight warning light does come on around the time the strobing effect occurs.

PLEASE HELPPPPP

Thank you,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Your car came with halogen headlights I assume. You can try getting some cancellers or making a harness, but they will not work plug and play. The reason they flicker is because the check control system is sending pulses to determine if your lights are working. It has nothing to do with your kit, and everything to do with your car. I would suggest getting these for your headlights and fogs, http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Er...IR-226-94.html .
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
Your car came with halogen headlights I assume. You can try getting some cancellers or making a harness, but they will not work plug and play. The reason they flicker is because the check control system is sending pulses to determine if your lights are working. It has nothing to do with your kit, and everything to do with your car. I would suggest getting these for your headlights and fogs, http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Er...IR-226-94.html .
i used these on my e92 2009 fogs and they didnt work...returned then for a refund and was out shipping...for your fogs you can make a capacitor harness that will fix it for the headlight it might be different because its 55watt as oppose to 35 watts that the fogs were.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

You had those exact ones or the other ones? I tried running capacitors and it allowed the lights to turn on, but I sell received errors.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
TurtleSAE
Rep

What about getting your ECU reflashed by BMW well that solve the problem or do i need to install capacitors to both the fogs and headlights before trying that? I dont mind making a harness or anything if it'll work. But cause I am pressed for time, I was hoping there was something i could make or buy locally to get the lights working again otherwise I gotta take everything out and start over again and wait till these things come in. Or I've came across this http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...__HID-CAP.aspx which supposively takes the error away and has a capacitor in it plus they sell it at Group 5 Motorsports so i can go pck it up myself
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

You can get a reflash from your dealer if they will do it. Those cancellers will prob allow your lights to turn on, but will still throw errors.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
JonLerd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
You had those exact ones or the other ones? I tried running capacitors and it allowed the lights to turn on, but I sell received errors.
yep those exact ones even tried the type 3 didnt work....i dont think bmw can do anything to help you with the reprogramming either...good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
TurtleSAE
Rep

Talking

Hey guys just to kepe you updated on what I'm doing incase anyone else has this issue... I just got back from DDM Tuning in San Diego where I bought an error code eliminator this one to be exact http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Er...IR-130-94.html
They were on sale there which is awesome 20 each so i paid about $40 to get them for my fogs and headlights. The guys were really cool said i can return it if they dont do the trick. I will be installing them now so I'll post again as soon as i get my results.

Thanks for the help so far
Greg
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

They prob will not do the trick. I would have tried these first (http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/Er...IR-226-94.html).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Jaybreeze
Effin Mustang!!!!
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 Montego Blue

Problem is trying to get a discount product man...

I have 2 sets of HIDs in my car Angel Eyes and Fogs and never an issue... people keep trying to convince other people to buy these cancelers and all this other stuff and buy cheap products... spend the money upfront and avoid issues later

i have nothing extra in my car.... ballasts and bulbs error free... my boy installs the same system in tons of BMWs and they work great non of this build a wiring harness stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
TurtleSAE
Rep

Well it worked!! lights look great, install was easy and as soon as i get the last one tomorrow my error light should be off as well. I will post pictures tomorrow as well of the light setup its 30000k headlights and 3000k fog light hids
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
hhuynh14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i, 2010 135i

cool man... i use the canceller and it worked too.. glad it work out for you
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
TurtleSAE
Rep

Hey guys sorry its been awhile since I post back but my passenger tail light wasn't lighting up at all. I found out what the problem after blowing two cancelers thought I'd update you incase anyone may have the same problem.

So it turns out on halogens lights polarity doesn't matter and if you keep blowing cancelers or headlights aren't turning on at all try flipping the plug and plugging it back it and it should hopefully work. my lights look great now i couldn't be happier especially with only paying $80 a kit. I posted some pictures for you guys. Once again thanks for the help.

Appreciate 0