E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > DEA searching for ebonics translators.

08-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

DEA searching for ebonics translators.

Ridiculous:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/24/dea.ebonics/index.html
      08-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

. . . .
      08-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

"Wolfram -- who has authored more than 20 books on English dialects, including African-American English -- recalled the Black Panther trials during the 1970s, when there was debate over whether the saying, "Off the pigs," was a genuine threat to kill police officers or a more metaphorical saying."

metaphorical saying?! Are you kidding me? I love it when people want to be defiant and act like they are powerful, but when their feet are to the coals they backtrack and protect themselves by making the argument "that's not what I meant". I know this is back in the 70's during a period of extreme tension. But if you are going to defend people that chant, "Off the pigs," with an argument based on language differences, then you lose all credibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
"Wolfram -- who has authored more than 20 books on English dialects, including African-American English -- recalled the Black Panther trials during the 1970s, when there was debate over whether the saying, "Off the pigs," was a genuine threat to kill police officers or a more metaphorical saying."

metaphorical saying?! Are you kidding me? I love it when people want to be defiant and act like they are powerful, but when their feet are to the coals they backtrack and protect themselves by making the argument "that's not what I meant". I know this is back in the 70's during a period of extreme tension. But if you are going to defend people that chant, "Off the pigs," with an argument based on language differences, then you lose all credibility.

What he said.
      08-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Are you fucking kidding me?

My God this country is swirling the drain. I must have forgotten just how close we are to the end..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I don't see how this is a bad thing...nor how the country is swirling down the drain because some criminals' conversations need to be translated...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

This makes sense, no matter how politically incorrect it might sound.

Ebonics/street language changes by the day...terms used 2 years ago, may not be used today. You need to stay on top of it in order to understand wtf is going on. Many of these DEA agents just don't know. I know this from experience.

For example I'm sure 90% of you on here don't know what it means when someone says "white girl" in the conversation of drugs.

Unless of course you listen to a lot of rap.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
This makes sense, no matter how politically incorrect it might sound.

Ebonics/street language changes by the day...terms used 2 years ago, may not be used today. You need to stay on top of it in order to understand wtf is going on. Many of these DEA agents just don't know. I know this from experience.

For example I'm sure 90% of you on here don't know what it means when someone says "white girl" in the conversation of drugs.

Unless of course you listen to a lot of rap.
+1, especially on the "white girl" part. Whenever USDA's song "white girl" came on the radio, I had to explain it to someone.
      08-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
+1, especially on the "white girl" part. Whenever USDA's song "white girl" came on the radio, I had to explain it to someone.
what is white girl??? cocaine?

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
what is white girl??? cocaine?

cocaine = girl, bitch etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:

shit man, I'm all over this stuff, I should be applying for that job!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I don't see how this is a bad thing...nor how the country is swirling down the drain because some criminals' conversations need to be translated...
Maybe it was a bit too harsh, but I'm just tired of paying for senseless shit.... My wife and I (and I'm sure I'm not alone around these parts) pay more in taxes than most families bring home every year. It's bad enough that I have to pay out so much, but watching/reading how it is squandered on daily basis just infuriates me.

Between this and the free (if you qualify based on income) cell phone advertisments I keep seeing on TV, I'm about to throw up. I know that these examples are just the tip of the iceberg of useless crap that we're all funding. All this in the middle of one of the worst econimic downturns in history... Especially for states like Illinois/California/Michigan/NY/Nevada, etc.

This country needs to grow a sack. I think the fact that we have to hire ebonics translators to proove guilt is really fucking pathetic. IMO, people who are known offenders shouldn't have the priveledge of getting the benefit of the doubt. Lock those mutherfuckers up instead of spending what will equate to millions and millions of dollars for the support of a "ebonics translation" unit? c'mon...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Maybe it was a bit too harsh, but I'm just tired of paying for senseless shit.... My wife and I (and I'm sure I'm not alone around these parts) pay more in taxes than most families bring home every year. It's bad enough that I have to pay out so much, but watching/reading how it is squandered on daily basis just infuriates me.

Between this and the free (if you qualify based on income) cell phone advertisments I keep seeing on TV, I'm about to throw up. I know that these examples are just the tip of the iceberg of useless crap that we're all funding. All this in the middle of one of the worst econimic downturns in history... Especially for states like Illinois/California/Michigan/NY/Nevada, etc.

This country needs to grow a sack. I think the fact that we have to hire ebonics translators to proove guilt is really fucking pathetic. IMO, people who are known offenders shouldn't have the priveledge of getting the benefit of the doubt. Lock those mutherfuckers up instead of spending what will equate to millions and millions of dollars for the support of a "ebonics translation" unit? c'mon...
What's with the free cell phone thing? never seen that before, link?

you'll like this...not new news though...
http://politics.usnews.com/opinion/m....html?PageNr=3

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:

the only time fat chicks are preferred
      08-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Some of you act like this is new.

Here's a quick lesson.

Those who belong to illegal or underground organizations (such as drug dealers or various insurgent groups) will utilize their own cover terms, or what's called 'operational security' (OPSEC).

Those who pursue those organizations will have to adapt and/or use translators. The same thing our government has been doing for years in various other countries.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G View Post
What's with the free cell phone thing? never seen that before, link?
Here is what has been all over the TV stations here in Chicago.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx

They are marketing it as a way for people to stay "safe", but last time I checked you didn't need 250 minutes/month to make 911 calls. They're just going to use their phone to call 911 to get some free healthcare or to call their meth dealer. *bleh*

And regarding you link, my intent wasn't to debate all fiscal expenditures. There are things that we need to do keep our borders/ports, etc. secure and our citizens safe... and all that costs lots of money. Is this government spending wildly... yes. Has the government always spent recklessly.. probably. We just hear more about these days because it is "news".

The driving force behind all of this is that everyone is just looking for someone to point the finger at instead of owning up to the truth, which is that in some way all of us are to blame. We either were party to making it happen... or part of the group that let it happen. Unfortunately since 99.9% of American's think they are infallible and piss excellence we just throw away more money defending ourselves and our ever growing egos.

The bottom line is that some (not all) of these programs just need to stop. It isn't even debatable how shitty things are in this country right now... and while it might only cost 10 million a year to fund this kind of program, when you combine it with the hundreds of other BS expenditures out there with their own 10 million dollar price tags, it adds up quick.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Feyd: while I agree with you that the gov't does take part in too much unnecessary spending, I won't take issue with the DEA hiring translators to obtain more complete information to better do their job. It's just a dialect.

I was reminded of a Ronald Reagan quote I think you'll like though:

"The government doesn't solve problems, it subsidizes them"
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #19
08rookie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

funny when you hear the words of the streets...in the streets...

i have the luxury to observe the harsh reality surrounding the urban decay...there needs to be a translator.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #20
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
put it like this. if theres not translator, the group of 30 year old white guys who wear the suits cant understand what the 17-26 year old "urban criminals" are saying.

just imagine you going on a vacation in the hills of Jamaica. think you would be able to understand 1 out of every 20 words they say? good luck. Most people from the damn Caribbean cant understand them.