E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > 335iS Thread - [ Owners Only ]

07-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #4731
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
What do you guys think of the Golf R?

Thinking of trading my 335is E93 in for one... or hell I may just keep both... E93 as my weekender and R as my DD

A bit torn
I think it's a VW
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #4732
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
I think it's a VW
Completely understandable!! I have the same feeling

Just becoming harder and harder to pull the trigger on the big time upgrades... m3 bits, lsd, coilovers... starts adding up very quickly
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #4733
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Completely understandable!! I have the same feeling

Just becoming harder and harder to pull the trigger on the big time upgrades... m3 bits, lsd, coilovers... starts adding up very quickly
Why are you needing to get big time upgrades in the first place?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #4734
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why are you needing to get big time upgrades in the first place?
Not entirely satisfied with the handling... Unfortunately I am the type that goes all in or doesn't go at all.

I know people grow out of modding and I completely understand that... It's been a love / hate relationship but one thing that is true: its a money pit since theres always something new coming out. Whether it be a new platform, a new mod, a new issue, there is always something left on the table to do.

I could also upgrade to the newest platform (f8x) but then the modding bug starts all over again (except the parts costs at least 2x as much and issues are yet to be discovered and investigated).

Is there a cure?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #4735
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not entirely satisfied with the handling... Unfortunately I am the type that goes all in or doesn't go at all.

I know people grow out of modding and I completely understand that... It's been a love / hate relationship but one thing that is true: its a money pit since theres always something new coming out. Whether it be a new platform, a new mod, a new issue, there is always something left on the table to do.

I could also upgrade to the newest platform (f8x) but then the modding bug starts all over again (except the parts costs at least 2x as much and issues are yet to be discovered and investigated).

Is there a cure?
Lol I'm just saying a golf is not the cure
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #4736
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
A Golf R may not be the cure but last time I was at the track a guy in a 2015 was hitting 11's with a APR Stage 2. Not bad for a 2.0t
      07-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #4737
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Quote:
Nice! I used to live out there in W. TX..prolly the only iS out there haha

+1 on the radar, safe travels. Post pics up when you get back home
Damn long trip home. BUT FUN!!! Couldn't get the RADAR detector working until I figured out the blown fuse in the middle of New Mexico, so I had to behave. But THEN, the fun began. I had a 335i for three years, and I thought that was fast. This car is a completely different kind of "mean". Overtaking on the highway, from 70-100 comes in a blink. And freeway entrance ramps from 0-120. And the music from the exhaust with the top down makes me smile. So fun!!! This is one fast car. Can't wait to explore more...

Kevin
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #4738
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay55555 View Post
Damn long trip home. BUT FUN!!! Couldn't get the RADAR detector working until I figured out the blown fuse in the middle of New Mexico, so I had to behave. But THEN, the fun began. I had a 335i for three years, and I thought that was fast. This car is a completely different kind of "mean". Overtaking on the highway, from 70-100 comes in a blink. And freeway entrance ramps from 0-120. And the music from the exhaust with the top down makes me smile. So fun!!! This is one fast car. Can't wait to explore more...

Kevin
Lol nice! Glad you made it safe and no tickets man...that is a little grueling trip especially in the summer, least you got to have the top down . Yea I went from a '98 323is into this...the acceleration was so smooth and blinding at the same time, going 90+ before I even knew it at first, and that iS exhaust is sweet.

Quick little mod..unplug the actuator in the trunk for the exhaust, look up the 'golf tee mod'. Then when you're ready get MHD and choose the exhaust burble option . Have fun with her!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #4739
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:

Is there a cure?
I would leave the E93 suspension alone if handling is the problem. Its never going to handle as well as many, many cars that are 1000lbs lighter. Its ok for what it is, a sexy cruiser that pretends it can take corners. Keep it for weekend road trips and find a small tight car for the corners. There are lots of options from cheap to expensive. Miatas, Z4's Boxsters, 911's are all twisty corner vehicles. Of Course, practicality be damned.

On the more practical end: Mini S from 2011 and newer are great handlers (not as good as a Miata,Z4,Boxster,911, but fun) with pretty good punch. Interior wise, they will give you the same as a Golf R. The "R" is ok too but the innocent bystander neck wrench factor just isn't there; unless you are in the stance crowd.

Good Luck
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #4740
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
I would leave the E93 suspension alone if handling is the problem. Its never going to handle as well as many, many cars that are 1000lbs lighter. Its ok for what it is, a sexy cruiser that pretends it can take corners. Keep it for weekend road trips and find a small tight car for the corners. There are lots of options from cheap to expensive. Miatas, Z4's Boxsters, 911's are all twisty corner vehicles. Of Course, practicality be damned.

On the more practical end: Mini S from 2011 and newer are great handlers (not as good as a Miata,Z4,Boxster,911, but fun) with pretty good punch. Interior wise, they will give you the same as a Golf R. The "R" is ok too but the innocent bystander neck wrench factor just isn't there; unless you are in the stance crowd.

Good Luck
I really appreciate your input!

The suspension upgrades serve primarily as a function of safety for me. I am in need of solid subframe bushings and a LSD at the very least since my car cannot accelerate straight without confidence. I need to fight the steering wheel to correct straight line acceleration even in 3rd. and this is with subframe inserts.

I know it will never handle as a sub 3,000 lb car but who cares? There are
plenty of heavy GT cars that are very capable and that is where I want to be at. I am planning to shave a bit of weight to get my curb weight down - maybe recaro seats, a braille 20 lb battery and get myself down to sub 150 lbs by laying off the burgers

i considered a K miata but im waiting for more progress on the k series swap before i seriously consider it.

I am likely going to get some solid aluminim subframe bushings, LSD and the full Ohlins R&T setup and reevaluate from there.

i have watched almost all of the R reviews on youtube and one thing i noticed: it doesnt scream "oh shit this car is going to kill me"... the reviewers have a smile but does not have the excitement factor that I get with the tuned 335... I suppose im gonna give my IS another shot and see where it takes me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #4741
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
I really appreciate your input!

The suspension upgrades serve primarily as a function of safety for me. I am in need of solid subframe bushings and a LSD at the very least since my car cannot accelerate straight without confidence. I need to fight the steering wheel to correct straight line acceleration even in 3rd. and this is with subframe inserts.

I know it will never handle as a sub 3,000 lb car but who cares? There are
plenty of heavy GT cars that are very capable and that is where I want to be at. I am planning to shave a bit of weight to get my curb weight down - maybe recaro seats, a braille 20 lb battery and get myself down to sub 150 lbs by laying off the burgers

i considered a K miata but im waiting for more progress on the k series swap before i seriously consider it.

I am likely going to get some solid aluminim subframe bushings, LSD and the full Ohlins R&T setup and reevaluate from there.

i have watched almost all of the R reviews on youtube and one thing i noticed: it doesnt scream "oh shit this car is going to kill me"... the reviewers have a smile but does not have the excitement factor that I get with the tuned 335... I suppose im gonna give my IS another shot and see where it takes me.
Solid subframe bushings, LSD, Ohlins.... that's serious track parts, makes me think SCCA. Lol, What's up, do you DD the Tail of the dragon on the way to work?

Regardless, everyone wants what they want, the only difference is financial and technical capability.

I ran the TOTD hard in my Z4si a few times, most fun ever had under 45-50 mph, along with several other routes in the Blue Ridge and thereabouts.

Have Fun
Bruce
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #4742
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Solid subframe bushings, LSD, Ohlins.... that's serious track parts, makes me think SCCA. Lol, What's up, do you DD the Tail of the dragon on the way to work?

Regardless, everyone wants what they want, the only difference is financial and technical capability.

I ran the TOTD hard in my Z4si a few times, most fun ever had under 45-50 mph, along with several other routes in the Blue Ridge and thereabouts.

Have Fun
Bruce
Of course not

This is my weekender (I take the train to work).

When I finally do get to drive it, I get on it pretty hard every chance I get!

Of course this point is moot since I am 9,000 miles away from the car at the moment and won't see the girl until winter time.

All of this is planning at the moment. But she will get my full attention when I get back!!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #4743
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:

Have Fun
Bruce
Do you live in the ATL area or N Ga? I've done the Wannagofast 1/2 mile event in Clayton and am heading back up for the Sept event. I usually continue up to Bryson City after for a couple days to do the Dragon and Snake 28. Do you hit the event by any chance?
      07-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #4744
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol nice! Glad you made it safe and no tickets man...that is a little grueling trip especially in the summer, least you got to have the top down . Yea I went from a '98 323is into this...the acceleration was so smooth and blinding at the same time, going 90+ before I even knew it at first, and that iS exhaust is sweet.

Quick little mod..unplug the actuator in the trunk for the exhaust, look up the 'golf tee mod'. Then when you're ready get MHD and choose the exhaust burble option . Have fun with her!

Okay, now I'm on the edge of my seat! I love the burble I get in sport mode, especially with the top down. Would love more! What is MHD? I will look up the gold tee mod. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I'm up for the task. Thanks for the tip! I CAN'T TO PLAY MORE WITH THE TOP DOWN! Unfortunately, the summer in Phoenix is not condusive. Way too damn hot! Maybe I'll have to start getting up at 4:00 AM to go play around.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #4745
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay55555
Quote:

Okay, now I'm on the edge of my seat! I love the burble I get in sport mode, especially with the top down. Would love more! What is MHD? I will look up the gold tee mod. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I'm up for the task. Thanks for the tip! I CAN'T TO PLAY MORE WITH THE TOP DOWN! Unfortunately, the summer in Phoenix is not condusive. Way too damn hot! Maybe I'll have to start getting up at 4:00 AM to go play around.
any pics of your e93?

heres some of mine, mineral white

lease was up so the 340 is next for me
Attached Images

07-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #4746
mwa12E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenseal View Post
Hankook Ventus V12 evo2. 235/35/19 275/30/19.
I had to buy new rear tires to replace the worn out Continentals on my E93 IS. On the basis of Tire Rack reviews, I purchased Nexen Nfeuri SU1s in the OE 255/30x19". Running the proper tire pressures, the car exhibits a nervousness that it didn't have w/ the Contis all 'round. The Contis aren't all that hot, but at least as a matched set, the car ran bullet straight, even w/ a misaligned rear suspension. When the suspension was realigned, they set it at 2° negative camber. They claimed that they also reset the steering center point (which I will call them on as it seems to want to wander off to the right all the time).

Has anyone else had this experience? It's a little intimidating as it feels like it wants to swap ends w/a quick lane change.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #4747
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
any pics of your e93?

heres some of mine, mineral white

lease was up so the 340 is next for me

I need to get some time to post pics. I parked the car on Friday after 2 days of owning it and went away on vacation. Just got back and still no time. I got the oil changed at the dealership so they could give it an overlook. They updated the software, and now the DCT feels much different. Seems to take longer to engage, and almost feels like it's starting in 2nd gear now. The lack of engagement when you take your foot of the brake has been a weird feeling, coming from a Steptronic, but now it seems worse. I actually just moved it from one parking spot to another, so maybe it was not up to temp yet. WEIRD! It's been so long since I've driven it, maybe it's just my imagination. That was all in non sport mode, btw. I know these transmissions "learn" your driving style. Could it be that the software update wiped out what was "learned" and it just needs to be retrained? I hope they didn't also tune down the car also, which I've heard rumors about. I guess I need to spend some time to play around with it to see.

I'm enjoying this thread, as I started at the beginning. I'm on page 20, with lots more to go. Learning a ton about mod'ing, and I almost seem to be learning a new language.

Kevin
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #4748
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay55555 View Post
I need to get some time to post pics. I parked the car on Friday after 2 days of owning it and went away on vacation. Just got back and still no time. I got the oil changed at the dealership so they could give it an overlook. They updated the software, and now the DCT feels much different. Seems to take longer to engage, and almost feels like it's starting in 2nd gear now. The lack of engagement when you take your foot of the brake has been a weird feeling, coming from a Steptronic, but now it seems worse. I actually just moved it from one parking spot to another, so maybe it was not up to temp yet. WEIRD! It's been so long since I've driven it, maybe it's just my imagination. That was all in non sport mode, btw. I know these transmissions "learn" your driving style. Could it be that the software update wiped out what was "learned" and it just needs to be retrained? I hope they didn't also tune down the car also, which I've heard rumors about. I guess I need to spend some time to play around with it to see.

I'm enjoying this thread, as I started at the beginning. I'm on page 20, with lots more to go. Learning a ton about mod'ing, and I almost seem to be learning a new language.

Kevin
They might have reset the ECU because of the software update and yes your car will have to relearn how you drive :P

I definitely miss my e93 and the sound, the intoxicating, badass, pissing off other people in the parking lot, f-you-move-over sound i truly miss

Enjoy in good health! and if you did not get it yet, get this for the rubber seals and the hard top rubber seals so they dont crack and they do their job of preventing water from finding its way into the cabin!

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148...s=gummy+pledge

^
|
|
|
a requirement for all cars especially the verts
      07-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #4749
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

EMITTR look at my previous post missing the exhaust already... haha
      07-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #4750
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
They might have reset the ECU because of the software update and yes your car will have to relearn how you drive :P

I definitely miss my e93 and the sound, the intoxicating, badass, pissing off other people in the parking lot, f-you-move-over sound i truly miss

Enjoy in good health! and if you did not get it yet, get this for the rubber seals and the hard top rubber seals so they dont crack and they do their job of preventing water from finding its way into the cabin!

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148...s=gummy+pledge

^
|
|
|
a requirement for all cars especially the verts

Thanks for the tip!!! Oh Sh!t! What happens if you blow out a turbo? A pop on acceleration and then engine malfunction-operating on reduced power? That's what I have going on now. It was perfectly fine before the update. WTF?????
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #4751
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Searay55555

hope youre still on warranty, they'll cover it since you dont have any mods (ithink)

when youre on reduced power, just park car, turn it off for about 10-15 seconds, start the car. if that persists call roadside. when it happened to me - i had cobb so i cleared the codes and drove it back to bmw.
      07-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #4752
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep

No warranty. I bought it from a private party. I drove the car for a little bit last night and it feels very powerless. Almost like the turbos are shut off. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer because they are RAPISTS. Friday they tried to charge me $90 for an "intake silencer" and $360 for plugs. Then $400/tire for a set of tires. HTF does an oil change turn into that? I can do most work myself, but I'm a little lost with turbos. Need a good indie shop that won't bend me over in Phoenix...
Appreciate 0