E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > ***Official 757 Thread*** (#2)

12-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #793
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokaihao10 View Post
Anyone get their intake valves cleaned recently? Is there a place I can get it done for a good price locally?
enter Cleex...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #794
Fokaihao10
Comin' through...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
enter Cleex...
      12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #795
muzzammil15
Slurpee anyone?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan View Post
If you like the Sony, get it and check it out. I believe Amazon has a decent return policy if it turns out the Sony isn't quite what you wanted. I'm relatively certain you'll like the Nikon, but I'm sure there are some Canon shooters who would beg to differ.
My brain is fried, i've been reading reviews for about 2 hours now. Nikon is great when it comes to far zoom pictures. Sony is great far and near. Panasonic DMC-FZ150K also another great camera, but it is out of my price range. For what I am looking for Sony is great. Yall better get ready for some random ass pictures of random stuff LOL

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #796
Impulsed7
Fu Fu...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36's slow ones...

I'm a little confused at this intake valve cleaning you guys are obsessed with. Arent the 335's direct injected? so no carbon buildup on the intake valves. Not sure what the cleaning accomplishes.
      12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #797
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
enter Cleex...
oh yeah my bad guys...ive been just perusing the other pages on the forums and finally got around to checking out the other 757 thread and it said it was closed lol...but muzz got me back on track.

anyhow ive been doin a few carbon cleanings and my freaking back hurts. its a long process for me as i actually walnut blast and pick out all the crap, but if enough people wanna do shit maybe we can all pitch in some money and ill get the bmw cleaning one...heard thats pretty good and much better at cleaning.

however the machine is like freaking $1000 or something. so i would probably need at least 3-4 guys that wanna pay to do this.

anyway just let me know...im pretty busy during the week but during the weekends i could probably help some guys out doin this.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #798
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsed7 View Post
I'm a little confused at this intake valve cleaning you guys are obsessed with. Arent the 335's direct injected? so no carbon buildup on the intake valves. Not sure what the cleaning accomplishes.
the direct injection is why we need to do the cleaning. there is no gas to go over the valves and clean them.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #799
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
exact opposite dude....carbon build-up is terrible in these N54's. i've seen pics of cars with less than 30k with nasty carbon build-up. it is definitely required maintenance on these motors...without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #800
Impulsed7
Fu Fu...
United_States
Rep

Are you guys running oiled air filters? anyone with meth injection?

ANY car with direct injection shouldn't have an oiled air filter and constant filter replacement. You guys can't have that much blow by yet, especially with the upgraded catch cans.

Does anyone make individual cylinder meth injection for these? That would help your cleaning problem. Also lots of high RPM's in general, don't baby it around town.
      12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #801
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you guys running oiled air filters? anyone with meth injection?

ANY car with direct injection shouldn't have an oiled air filter and constant filter replacement. You guys can't have that much blow by yet, especially with the upgraded catch cans.

Does anyone make individual cylinder meth injection for these? That would help your cleaning problem. Also lots of high RPM's in general, don't baby it around town.
meth supposedly helps a little but its not like its going to make it go away. it really does only help a very small amount...there is something on our engines where some of the combustion gets recycled into the intake or something which is why we get so much carbon build up. it was for emissions i think.

there is something from vibrant that you can bypass that go straight to the exhaust instead of back into your intakes.

either way i got a quote for the bmw machine and its $1000 plus shipping so probably like $1100 or $1200.

if you guys are interested then pm...hopefully there will be like 4 of us that wanna get it done.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #802
Impulsed7
Fu Fu...
United_States
Rep

PCV and EGR systems. I guess if your oil seperator isn't great, and your car is running rich, I could see it. Happened with the DI diesels I used to work with.

And edit from the fb page:
So friday is only looking like 50, but mostly sunny. Car wash at Freedom, then some beers/cheap food at AJ Gators on Holland afterward?

Last edited by Impulsed7; 12-19-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #803
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yeah the carbon cleaning is definitely a must on our cars. I'll post the pics of mine...it was terrible! Probably 1/4 inch of build up on the valves. Not sure there is anything that will solve this issue other than cleaning them. I've heard the oil catch can doesn't even solve the problem.
      12-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #804
dstrick
0-60 Quickly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81
Yeah the carbon cleaning is definitely a must on our cars. I'll post the pics of mine...it was terrible! Probably 1/4 inch of build up on the valves. Not sure there is anything that will solve this issue other than cleaning them. I've heard the oil catch can doesn't even solve the problem.
How often and how much$
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #805
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrick View Post
How often and how much$
i think its like a $5-600 job at the dealership....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #806
dstrick
0-60 Quickly
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I know this is dumb ass but I am realizing that I'm not sure any maintenance type stuff (air filter changes, fuel system cleanings, etc.) is or will get done without me asking. This is my first BMW and turbo so it's a little different. With all my other vehicles the dealers were nagging the crap out of me to upsale their stuff but nothing so far on the IS. I need to start looking into it better. Or is it like the oil, which blows my mind, longer lasting. I am pretty mechanical but it seems like if there was something that needed to be done they would be on top of it so I haven't even been concerned. Car runs great either way!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #807
muzzammil15
Slurpee anyone?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know this is dumb ass but I am realizing that I'm not sure any maintenance type stuff (air filter changes, fuel system cleanings, etc.) is or will get done without me asking. This is my first BMW and turbo so it's a little different. With all my other vehicles the dealers were nagging the crap out of me to upsale their stuff but nothing so far on the IS. I need to start looking into it better. Or is it like the oil, which blows my mind, longer lasting. I am pretty mechanical but it seems like if there was something that needed to be done they would be on top of it so I haven't even been concerned. Car runs great either way!
I think under BMW maintenance you air filter will be changed. I do not think they will do your fuel system cleaning. As long as you use 93oct, your fuel system should be fine. I highly doubt the dealer will stay on top of anything. If anything you have to stay on top of them. They will try to do anything to save money and pass the cost on you.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #808
muzzammil15
Slurpee anyone?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish Nathan was still there, I know he was trying to get the walnut done at a decent price. I forgot how much exactly he told me it was, but it was less than $500. Anything over $500 is crazy, from what I have seen on the forum. It is about a 3-4hour job.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #809
pecophilly
Well officer, what had happened was...
Rep
Drives: Grocery Getter

Garage List
Quote:
yeah actually this is true.....Peco knows him and gets free crap...he'll come by and swipe a card to give you credits and what not...pretty cool.
Yep. Dude is super cool. Asked him about sponsoring and he said he was down.

But he also said he really wanted a donk to sponsor. Dude is from the west coast so explains that...

Oh and I had CF BMW do my valves with the walnut shells. It was free bc I had an issue with my coils and they thought maybe my valves needed to be done.

They usually don't do it for free, even if you car is under warranty like mine was at the time. But they comped it anyways. ~$500 cost.

I miss Nate and Eric. Le Sigh.
      12-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #810
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
this car is pretty technologically advanced when it comes to maintenance and such. from the time i bought my car brand new in 2008 til now....the dealership has always contacted me either via phone or email to let me know when maintenance is due. also, there are the info menus in the iDrive which will also tell you approx. when service is due. as far as oil changes go....BMW actually recommends (i believe) oil changes at 15000 or 1yr...which ever comes first. since i only put about 5k miles on my car a year its only due for one oil change a year...car is mostly garage kept and has seen little track use up until this point. however, the harder you run the car...especially if you are tuned....you definitely should change your oil more frequently then BMWs recommended interval...this is fact. even if you don't have a tune...i don't recommend waiting til 15k miles hit or 1yr before changing oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #811
dstrick
0-60 Quickly
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by import36
Quote:
this car is pretty technologically advanced when it comes to maintenance and such. from the time i bought my car brand new in 2008 til now....the dealership has always contacted me either via phone or email to let me know when maintenance is due. also, there are the info menus in the iDrive which will also tell you approx. when service is due. as far as oil changes go....BMW actually recommends (i believe) oil changes at 15000 or 1yr...which ever comes first. since i only put about 5k miles on my car a year its only due for one oil change a year...car is mostly garage kept and has seen little track use up until this point. however, the harder you run the car...especially if you are tuned....you definitely should change your oil more frequently then BMWs recommended interval...this is fact. even if you don't have a tune...i don't recommend waiting til 15k miles hit or 1yr before changing oil.
Good stuff! I don't know how u could do only 5000 a year in miles. Every time I get in mine (daily driver) it's like an amusement park ride! I was nervous about the oil periodicity but BMW swears by it. I think now that its getting over 30000 I will split it and change it at 7500. I also run a fuel cleaner and checked air filter. May do the valve cleaning just to see what all the hype is about.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #812
Impulsed7
Fu Fu...
United_States
Rep

If you don't run it very hard, Racewerks would suggest that 7500 that you are already doing. I still stick to at least 5K, if not the old school 3K, but I really beat on my cars. My wifes diesel jetta gets 7500.

There are ways to filter your PCV system better, a huge catch can is a start. There are filters for some diesels that could be used as well, but if the RPM's are high enough, often enough, and the car doesn't run too rich, you should be fine.
      12-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #813
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Dstrick, the carbon cleaning was $400. And although we would like to think things go smoothly when working on a car, it takes about 6-8 hours. It's a pretty tedious job getting all that crap off the valves.
As for oil changes, I think 15000 is a bit long, but I would say you could easily get 10000. On my last car (Acura TL-S) a lot of guys did tests on their oil after 5000 and then 7500 miles and the reports were that the oil was not or just barely broken down. All of us use full synthetic so I can't imagine there is much difference. I'll see if I can remember the name of the lab that did the testing.
      12-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #814
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Blackstone labs was the name of the place the guys were using then. I'm sure there are plenty other places around though too.