E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance with 10k miles/annum limit

07-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Insurance with 10k miles/annum limit

On my car insurance I have a 10,000 miles per annum limit, but looks as though this will be exceeded this year around.
Do I have to admit this to the Insurance company when I renew and if I do, does anyone know what the increase premium could be?
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I took out a policy last year at 5k miles, the year before i did the same and did 4995 miles! This year i went over and had a month left to run so had to ring to get it changed

Difference being is i had to declare the mileage i wanted the policy to start so they have a record of this, im not sure if alot of companies do this?

So unless is hugely different id not worry if you didnt have to declare the starting mileage like me.

Afterall it does say "estimated annual mileage" we cant all guess it exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Personally I would phone them before you go over 10,000 miles. If you have an accident and you have exceeded your limit and they can prove this I would be very surprised if they paid out. Not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1986 mr2 mk1

i would phone them too before you go over the limit ,mine is a 7k miles limit
you just have to pay the difference its no big deal but if it goes over by alot and its obvious they could refuse to pay out
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Guys for your responses!
I think it might be best if I do contact the Insurance company. (After all they are such nice people!) Cos' I'm touring part of the EU for a week in a couple of weeks and I will def be over the 10k then.
Will let you know how I get on!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

how will they know what milege your car is on? ive never had to declare the milege to insurance company ever
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
how will they know what milege your car is on? ive never had to declare the milege to insurance company ever
Service records, MOTs, warranty work, how far you drive to work etc etc. I am sure if they really wanted to they could make your life a misery in the event of a dispute.

And for what an extra £50 on your premium for being honest, if youre going to be dishonest at least do it properly and make a fortune out of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

I contacted those nice Insurance people () and for an additional 2k on the 10k pa, they wanted an additional 5% about, on the pa premium, which is not too bad.
Wish I had gone for a couple more k, but if I feel I am getting near the limit I can always go back, at this sort of cost. Least it will give 'piece of mind', and that's what you want on your hoiliday!
Had the motor now almost 2 years. The first year did a low mileage and as it's a diesel thought it best to have an engine oil change, so it shows in the service book.
So the mileage of the 2nd year will be known immediatly 'cos it's due for a brake oil change. If I had a Insurance prob they would have me by the 'S n C's'
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
I contacted those nice Insurance people () and for an additional 2k on the 10k pa, they wanted an additional 5% about, on the pa premium, which is not too bad.
Wish I had gone for a couple more k, but if I feel I am getting near the limit I can always go back, at this sort of cost. Least it will give 'piece of mind', and that's what you want on your hoiliday!
Had the motor now almost 2 years. The first year did a low mileage and as it's a diesel thought it best to have an engine oil change, so it shows in the service book.
So the mileage of the 2nd year will be known immediatly 'cos it's due for a brake oil change. If I had a Insurance prob they would have me by the 'S n C's'
You did the right thing mate.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Service records, MOTs, warranty work, how far you drive to work etc etc. I am sure if they really wanted to they could make your life a misery in the event of a dispute.

And for what an extra £50 on your premium for being honest, if youre going to be dishonest at least do it properly and make a fortune out of it.
doubt it mate, ive seen claims/disputes done through insurance with many people but ive never heard of them ask or look at milege (and some claims involved huge £££s and written off cars etc...)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
doubt it mate, ive seen claims/disputes done through insurance with many people but ive never heard of them ask or look at milege (and some claims involved huge £££s and written off cars etc...)
Is it really worth the risk though for £50
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Golgarth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 318d M-sport tourer Bus

On the only mileage limited policy I have ever had they stipulated an increased excess on a sliding scale with the amount of miles over the limit.
5% seems a touch high (obv depending on your initial premium)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
uzi9mm
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

They cant prove it unless you admit, as someone else can easily be using your car, covered by their own third party insurance to drive car not belonging to them.

So unless you say you were the sole user they cant prove shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
seamaster
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 325d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
You will probably find that alot of that 5% is an admin charge for changing the policy mid term, it would probably be cheaper to overestimate the miles you will do next year rather than changing the policy mid term.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
SteveBucks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster View Post
You will probably find that alot of that 5% is an admin charge for changing the policy mid term, it would probably be cheaper to overestimate the miles you will do next year rather than changing the policy mid term.
You will find that most insurers who use mileage as a prominent rating factor, usually do so in bands (i.e. 5-10k, 10k-15k etc..), so its always worth asking what these bands are and then over estimate within the bracket applicable to you. That way your less likely to need to amend mid-term, and you still wont pay a higher premium.

The time that people are most likely to get an issue when making a claim (where you have gone over the mileage specified) is when you have a total loss / write-off, as you may then have to provide evidence of service log book, MOT's etc, for X number of years to help achieve the settlement figure your expecting.
Appreciate 0