E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Driving in HK in cold or typhoon weather

10-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Driving in HK in cold or typhoon weather

This is somewhat off-topic, but I'm told this coming winter would be quite a bit colder then usual. Granted, the chance of seeing snow in HK is remote (but not impossible), so I'm curious to know what would happen to Hong Kong drivers if it did drop to freezing temperatures. I don't know if there are antifreeze in HK cars, even if not, the freeze plugs should allow most car engines to function (BMW has freeze plugs too right?).

But I know most average HK cars don't have snow tires or all-weather tires. So would there be traffic mayhem from cars slipping on the icy roads? Would there be car pile-up without end? Or would our BMW cars have an inherent advantage with it's rear-wheel drive?

Now a more likely scenario, driving in signal no.8 or higher. I only have my 325i for not that long, so I haven't had the chance to drive it in typhoon weather. But for those of you who have, what's it like? Are the winds so strong that it will tip over your car? I guess the sidewind will be strong enough that you will be fighting to stay in your lane and not be blasted into the other lane? Or can BMW's steering allows you to better control the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
sleepergm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 335i M-Tech

You will be fine ... our cars are quite heavy so I highly doubt they would flip over ... unless a freak tsunami hit the city and washed your car into the Bank Of China ...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
so I'm curious to know what would happen to Hong Kong drivers if it did drop to freezing temperatures. I don't know if there are antifreeze in HK cars, even if not, the freeze plugs should allow most car engines to function (BMW has freeze plugs too right?).

It has aunt Jemima syrup

I believe you're overthinking this wayyy too much.

HK is a tropical place...If I were you, i'd be more worried about having some tires that perform flawlessly in wet/dry. You don't need A/S tires because...there is no snow. Also, wax your car..u know, heat and stuff...

ICY roads?? The lowest temp ever recorded in HK is 32F...theoretically, water freezes, but with concrete and with all the people living in HK, temp's need to be lower.

Are you really going to drive your car during a typhoon? Okay, let say you are, what category? You're really going to be out there testing the limits of the vehicle when a cat5 typhoon is on top of you? Let's say you do make it out OK, with all the blowing debris, I wouldn't be surprised to find maybe a dent, scratch, or some sort of cosmetic damage somewhere...

Relax, use common sense. BMW made cars for HK so it must be drivable under HK conditions...or anywhere else in the world. Funny comment with the antifreeze though, that made my day
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
It has aunt Jemima syrup

I believe you're overthinking this wayyy too much.

HK is a tropical place...If I were you, i'd be more worried about having some tires that perform flawlessly in wet/dry. You don't need A/S tires because...there is no snow. Also, wax your car..u know, heat and stuff...

ICY roads?? The lowest temp ever recorded in HK is 32F...theoretically, water freezes, but with concrete and with all the people living in HK, temp's need to be lower.

Are you really going to drive your car during a typhoon? Okay, let say you are, what category? You're really going to be out there testing the limits of the vehicle when a cat5 typhoon is on top of you? Let's say you do make it out OK, with all the blowing debris, I wouldn't be surprised to find maybe a dent, scratch, or some sort of cosmetic damage somewhere...

Relax, use common sense. BMW made cars for HK so it must be drivable under HK conditions...or anywhere else in the world. Funny comment with the antifreeze though, that made my day
I was just speculating and in case you haven't notice, I mention snow in Hong Kong is pretty remote. I am always curious about that hypothetical scenario of what what happen seeing as how HK people complain it's cold when it's 10 degrees celisus. As for driving in typhoon condition, that dosen't mean I actually will do it, but I am still curious just the same, and to see how BMW can handle the condition compared to the average corolla.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
ct087ct087
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

10 degrees celsius is cold if your house is without heating system.

Corolla is already good enough for driving under typhoon 8/9/10 (assuming not driving at 1xx km/h). I did that under typhoon 9. I still remember ching ma bridge (top) was closed at that moment. crosswind pushed the car but it was just fine as long as holding the steering wheel tightly. the most concern should be blowing debris, collapsed trees, etc. where insurance may not cover.

snow and icy road is too early talking here but the society will just adapt to once it happen, right?
Appreciate 0