E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW CODING success

01-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #925
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
A battery tender is not a power supply, I wouldn't recommend using it for voltage stabilization.
When I went back into the garage at the dealer while they were reprogramming my car after putting new fuel injectors in, I saw they had something like that with wires running to the terminal under the hood.. The car was on with the iDrive screen on for a long time (over 8 hours).. Is there something other than a battery tender for that then?

Just doesn't seem smart to leave the car on battery power for quite a while coding it and any way to avoid running down the battery would be a good idea. Running the engine (As mentioned earlier) can't be very good for voltage stabilization...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #926
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
The correct way of doing it - at least the way I do it is:

Use a snap on charger (at a low setting) connected with jumper cables to another BMW battery. And then from the terminals of that battery connect jumper cables to the car. This ensures that car doesn't get voltage spikes from the battery charger, but basically get's fed off of a battery that's being supplied by the charger.

You could just connect the battery charger to the car - but make sure that the settings are not too high. You want to try and maintain 12 volts at MINIMUM, but more like 12.5 is better. Hope this helps.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #927
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i xDrive Coupe (G15)

I was told that the US/EU E92's DRL lights up the Angel Eyes only.
Is there anybody who knows which value controls the tail-light while the DRL is on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
Got the K+DCAN cable from One-Stop-Electronics.
http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

It works flawlessly on my Japan-spec E92 MY2008.
(Actually I got some error messages but I just ignored them...)
And I was able to code the followings

DAY_RUN_LIGHT_CCC in CAPPL - Adds DRL (ON/OFF) submenu in iDrive
VIDEO_DENY_C0B in CAPPL - DVD-In-Motion
BC_DIGITAL_V in KOMBI - Digital Speed

Thank you very much for PO and all who gave me helpful advice
I believe mine is the first E92 with the software-coded DRL in Japan!

Next question;
When I activate the DRL, not only AEs but taillights are also turned on.
Is this normal in US/EU-spec E92?
Am I able to have DRL w/o taillight on by coding?

And how to add a submenu for the light sensor sensitivity settings in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #928
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Maybe I missed something. But the part that still bug me is how do you guys/gals decipher these german words/phrases/abbreviations using google translate.

Example: trying to get google translate to tell me what REGENSCLIESSENTILT means in English returned blank. If I can get past this part, I might be a bit more succesfull. how do ya'll get past the german roadblock?
      01-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #929
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
Maybe I missed something. But the part that still bug me is how do you guys/gals decipher these german words/phrases/abbreviations using google translate.

Example: trying to get google translate to tell me what REGENSCLIESSENTILT means in English returned blank. If I can get past this part, I might be a bit more succesfull. how do ya'll get past the german roadblock?
Use logic for your ref: German complex nouns are composed by stacking them together without spaces. So "sun roof tilt" would omit spaces in German. so you basically have to guess the words - in this case, try removing "TILT" from the word and run the translator again.
      01-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #930
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:

As Pseudo Nim pointed out, pull the words apart. Put "regen sensor" into Google Translate and you'll get back rain sensor. What is partially missing from the description above is the word "licht," which is German for light. The full name of the rain sensor is regenlichtsensor because it is both a rain and a light sensor. The "tilt" on the end is probably a reference to the sunroof. Putting them together, you have something that deals with the rain/light sensor and the sunroof. Remember, it's German logic here, not U.S.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #931
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcumac View Post
Two questions.

1. Has anyone successfully coded an '06 to close windows/sunroof with the fob? How about the rain sensing sunroof? If anyone has, I would love to know! It wasn't showing on the spreadsheet.

2. With the digital speedo, are you able to switch it off simply by choosing to see MPGs or miles to empty instead?
Yes (mine is an '06) and Yes!

Note that the rain-sensing sunroof only works with the car' ignition on so it's pretty useless unless you're too stupid to notice that it's raining while you're driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #932
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post

Note that the rain-sensing sunroof only works with the car' ignition on so it's pretty useless unless you're too stupid to notice that it's raining while you're driving.
That is pretty stupid. On VWs and Audis, the rain-sensing sunroof only works with the ignition off; i.e., you lock your car and leave the sunroof open, it starts to rain, sunroof closes. Why BMW didn't implement the function this way, I have no idea!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #933
dr004
USC Gamecocks #1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 e90 330i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post

The spreadsheet does not mark the fold mirrors with key fob as working on 06.

Fold Mirror NFRM BEIKLAPPEN_B_KOMFORTSCHL
Fold Mirror NFRM SPIEGEL_KOMFORT_EINKLAPP

Which one is it?

Close Windows/Roof CAS KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB

Also this is not marked to work with 06.....

Thanks
Gonna play around with it this weekend if someone could help me with these two questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #934
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
When I went back into the garage at the dealer while they were reprogramming my car after putting new fuel injectors in, I saw they had something like that with wires running to the terminal under the hood.. The car was on with the iDrive screen on for a long time (over 8 hours).. Is there something other than a battery tender for that then?

Just doesn't seem smart to leave the car on battery power for quite a while coding it and any way to avoid running down the battery would be a good idea. Running the engine (As mentioned earlier) can't be very good for voltage stabilization...
Battery chargers are meant to get the battery back up to a condition able to start the car in as little time as possible. Tenders are for maintaining the battery charge during extended periods of down time (trickle chargers). For coding/programming, you want a constant voltage on the bus regardless of the current demands. The alternator normally is responsible for both maintaining voltage to the car's systems and for keeping the battery charged.

The reason that a car's systems are normally designed for ~14V is probably mostly historical. A conventional 12V lead-acid battery as has been used since the '40s or so (they were 6V before that) is pretty well self-regulating when charged at 13.8V, so older voltage regulators were set to this.

In short, for coding/programming, you want the bus at a constant voltage of 14V or so regardless of the current demands. The best device for this is a regulated power supply. I use an Astron 50A used mostly by Ham Radio operators, but it will deliver 50A at 13.8V without breaking a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #935
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
That is pretty stupid. On VWs and Audis, the rain-sensing sunroof only works with the ignition off; i.e., you lock your car and leave the sunroof open, it starts to rain, sunroof closes. Why BMW didn't implement the function this way, I have no idea!
In general, it seems that BMW erred on the side of safety--at least with the US models . Nothing is automatic that would, for instance, put a child in danger because he was hanging out of the window while you sat on your FOB and forced it closed.

Apparently, only Americans are stupid enough to leave their kids hanging out of the sunroof while they run in to the store for groceries. That, or only American lawyers are tenacious enough to get huge settlements for their clients' stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #936
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Use logic for your ref: German complex nouns are composed by stacking them together without spaces. So "sun roof tilt" would omit spaces in German. so you basically have to guess the words - in this case, try removing "TILT" from the word and run the translator again.
Yes, logic is a wonderful thing. But at the rate you folks are spitting out code, I thought there was a quicker way to decipher. I can also use reverse logic, type in "SUN ROOF TILT" and have it translate to German.

I was not sure if there was a quicker way so I thought I would ask.
      01-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #937
spazticrecords
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328 XI

Has anyone had any success with this

Eject Key Fob with Engine Off - CAS - KOMFORT_EJECT (I see this was set to tested on 10,11) but I need to talk to someone who has actually done this.

I have turned this feature to active but I see no change.

also, please continuing updating the spreadsheet and updating success rate

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPqY7sEC
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #938
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Yes, logic is a wonderful thing. But at the rate you folks are spitting out code, I thought there was a quicker way to decipher. I can also use reverse logic, type in "SUN ROOF TILT" and have it translate to German.

I was not sure if there was a quicker way so I thought I would ask.
hehe fair enough. most of the knowledge gathered so far has been guesswork.

btw: regenschliessen in google translate translates to "rain close", don't need to do anything to that.

i'm sad to hear that only works with ignition on, though. how dumb is that?
      01-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #939
Amlethae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazticrecords View Post
Has anyone had any success with this

Eject Key Fob with Engine Off - CAS - KOMFORT_EJECT (I see this was set to tested on 10,11) but I need to talk to someone who has actually done this.

I have turned this feature to active but I see no change.

also, please continuing updating the spreadsheet and updating success rate

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPqY7sEC
I've coded this on a 2011... works just fine. When you turn off the engine you hear the key go "thump" and it's ready to be pulled out. Rather pointless but an interesting find.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #940
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
But the downside is that you have to push it back if you want to keep listening to music ;p

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #941
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
But the downside is that you have to push it back if you want to keep listening to music ;p
Can't you just hit the power button on the radio to turn the radio back on? My 1-series is like that, key in or key out.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #942
spazticrecords
Banned
Rep

Someone mentioned I think you need to have comfort access for this to work. I activated this on mine without comfort access and it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #943
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazticrecords View Post
Someone mentioned I think you need to have comfort access for this to work. I activated this on mine without comfort access and it doesn't work.
Are you referring to the key eject? If so, that's kind of dumb since one of the benefits of CA is that you don't have to insert the key into the dashboard
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #944
spazticrecords
Banned
Rep

I activated it my 2010 without comfort access and it didn't work. The person I spoke to that activated it had comfort access. Can anyone else confirm?

Also, has no one found DVD in motion for CIC navigation yet? I have been trying without success.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #945
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I'm having some issues getting connected after following the DIY guide, any help would greatly be appreciated.

When I open up INPA for the first time the battery and ignition are both have black dots - Which is good.

This airbag or any test fails with a IFH-0009 error... I have also attached my COM port settings. It's running on Dell WinXP SP3 Intel Laptop. If you need anymore info let me know. Thx

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 04-26-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #946
Randall41
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Alpine White

FiFo settings and com ports

current laptops usually only have 1 serial port at best. My Toshiba has 4 usb ports. USB ports are not designated by port no. It shouldn't matter which usb port you use. When the cable, in this case DCAN/ OBD/XXX or ? is inserted drivers must be downloaded and installed. This is usually done automatically. These drivers make the cable act as if it using Com ports.
Look in Control Panel/phones & Modems there should be at least 1 active port. Highlight and go to Advanced. There you will be able to adjust fifo settings.
Appreciate 0