E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The Black Box* Must Read

03-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #111
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

3. Vishnu = about 100 customers or more with few major problems
Competition = a few customers with a couple hundred miles experience, and no major problems.

I stated that I thought my procede wasnt working corectly. I reloaded the map... put it on the dyno and made good power. My issue is a fuel pump not the procede. I was incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #112
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92) View Post
3. Vishnu = about 100 customers or more with few major problems
Competition = a few customers with a couple hundred miles experience, and no major problems.

I stated that I thought my procede wasnt working corectly. I reloaded the map... put it on the dyno and made good power. My issue is a fuel pump not the procede. I was incorrect.
Did you get your fuel pump replaced already? How long did it take to get it done?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #113
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It wont work on the 335i. I encourage you to try it.

easy bud, I didnt plan on doing anything with it... but dont encourage me to waste my money on it... I have my heart set on the procede , I just posted that because they brought it up, and I found the makers webpage of it...

The only reason I have yet to order a PROcede is because i have a personal pet peeve against ordering things on backorder... as soon as they are availible for quick shipping, my order will be in.

This is me in this thread:

Last edited by RiXst3r; 03-11-2007 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #114
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Quote:
No no.. it's all good. I was just wondering what major problems you were referring too. That's all. No postal behavior here

On that note, kind sirs, i'm going for a nice long Sunday drive

shiv
I think that by:

"3. Vishnu = about 100 customers or more with few major problems
Competition = a few customers with a couple hundred miles experience, and no major problems."

he meant "WITH FEW MAJOR PROBLEMS" and implying "IF ANY", not "WITH A FEW MAJOR PROBLEMS" implying some major problems exist.

So he was trying to be positive towards your product.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #115
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
This is more informative than the typical threads here. Good to finally discuss about piggy back upgrade paths, such as how to use their inputs and if altering vanos is the way to go. Keep the info flowing! Thanks!
+1

It is great that people are providing real information about the product and competitor's product.

At first, this was the procede is the greatest campaign and bash all others. But seems people have put their pride aside and this is becoming a proper discussion with slight twists.

Prior to purchasing the product, it was firmly believing in RDsport but with the information provided from Xede, I hope that this is the Xede and the tuning will prevail.

After doing a little digging, when Vishnu was 'beta' testing the xede, the power it made is about the same as the Black Box is putting down now. So with the tuning capabilities of RDsport and presuming support of Xede or whomever if necessary (till confirmed), if/when the decision to upgrade the map/program, it will be done with all confidence.
      03-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #116
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
you have never done a 100+ hour road trip before?

hasn't everyone?
      03-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #117
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wanted a product with more control (more inputs/outputs). Not more control over the product. But yes, I agree with you, this pissing match really doesn't belong online. Perhaps I just got out of the wong side of the bed this morning.

-shiv

Not bashing you, just making a joke... maybe your bed is too big
      03-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #118
LOK11atXEDE
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Many -Daily- 600hp Ford6cyl T

Quote:
You know, call me a dumb Aussie, but I'd nearly have said that the pretty circuit board in the picture is a garage door opener circuit board thrown in for effect and justification. I could be wrong.

Lets save on the pissing match.
If the thread wasn't interesting, 860+ views and 39 replies in 13hours..
I want to make a few points if you'll indulge me.
Shiv's tuning on the 335i is several months ahead of other XEDE tuners as at today's date - although it appears AA is catching very fast. (pardon the 1/4mile pun)
Shiv's development on the XEDE apparently stopped several months ago too.
ChipTorque does not need Shiv's maps etc. in order to develop a new application for BMW or any other gasoline or diesel equipped engine.
The XEDE is suitable for the 335i and will make good reliable torque and power in the hands of any good tuner.
Competition is good for the marketplace and for the increasing quality and decreasing price of products you want for your cars.
There will be XEDE products for the 335i and good tuners who will supply/support them.

Again

Lachlan Riddel
Technical Director
www.chiptorque.com
www.xede.com.au
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #119
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK11atXEDE View Post
You know, call me a dumb Aussie, but I'd nearly have said that the pretty circuit board in the picture is a garage door opener circuit board thrown in for effect and justification. I could be wrong.
I'm afraid that you are. Would you like to see a close up? BTW, that's the receiver unit. The transmitter is the little keyfob that I posted pics of a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Shiv's tuning on the 335i is several months ahead of other XEDE tuners as at today's date - although it appears AA is catching very fast. (pardon the 1/4mile pun)
ChipTorque does not need Shiv's maps etc. in order to develop a new application for BMW or any other gasoline or diesel equipped engine.
The XEDE is suitable for the 335i and will make good reliable torque and power in the hands of any good tuner.
Competition is good for the marketplace and for the increasing quality and decreasing price of products you want for your cars.
There will be XEDE products for the 335i and good tuners who will supply/support them.
I agree and I wish them the best of luck

Group hug.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #120
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
I think I just want a reliable solution to increasing my car's performance with minimal risk of my engine failing. I certainly don't care who makes it. I do want reliable service though should something go wrong.
Exactly.

Quote:
Most things I buy I research. Shiv has provided us all with a large amount of information that we (at least I) don't usually have access to before buying something. It seems he has a thorough knowledge and a wealth of experience (as do other tuners), and is willing to answer questions. Maybe it's because he was the first on the boards here, but it seems no one else has walked us through their development of their product. Maybe in a year we'll have more info on others piggyback ecu's. Until then, not sure why someone here would pick something else than the Procede. Now give me more info on your R&D, and maybe I will change my mind.
Research is good. Certainly, Shiv makes it easier to purchase his product since he provides play by play information on this board.

Do you need the R&D info when you buy a Tubi Style muffler/exhaust, HKS products or anything else from a trusted name? Those companies and many others don't provide any R&D development when producing new products. This particular case with Shiv is extraordinary as customers became the 'beta' testers so he needed to keep control of the situation and keep everyone on the same page.

Quote:
If you're just gonna come on here and attack other tuners because of some personal spat then shut up (really that goes both ways). We (I) don't care. BTW... How many of the big BMW aftermarket companies work on turbo engines regularly? Especially since BMW has been cranking out so many twin turbo engines over the last 10 years.
I don't think this was directed at me but the thread was created as information to share versus a bash on anyone's product. If the purpose of this thread was to bash someone else's product, wouldn't there be some statement like others have made? There was no mention that this product was better, made more power, is shinier or does something better than the Proceed. What others post on here is not under anyone else's control. Agreed that people do get carried away.

The information provided by both parties is informative in this case despite negative context being mixed in along with some emotions. With some filtration, there are some good facts provided
      03-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #121
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Hey, Shiv--
As one of those 860 viewers of this thread, and a customer of yours patiently waiting for my PROcede.....

You have the overwhelming respect of the 335 i community, and deservedly so.

KEEP CRIMPING AND MAKING PROCEDES!!! Your 680 posts, your experience on the website and in the trade magazines, your personal answers to my phone calls, etc. will not be brought into question by anything in this post.

I believe that I speak for many of us when I say I can't wait to receive the PROcede. And, Thank-you!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #122
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
Shiv I highly sugest you find a way to encrypt your maps and setup your using,It cleary shows that you have some people that want to bring you down and kinda rip off your hard earned work...

I am patiently waiting for the tuned vanos version maps and some race gas maps

for you other tuners why dont you build up your rep the right way and not use bs dramma like little school kids.

Heres a hint....Fly over here and tune people cars like Shiv has done and slowly build up your rep.

I don't care if Shivs unit is a haltec...ect it looks like he is using the best hardware for us and standing behind his work.

I don;t know any other tuners that have spent this much time on one car and answer all these questions in the forums...

I don't see turner,RD,Dinan or any of the top dogs in here everyday helping out...
Assumption should be pasted on your forehead along with follower. Have you seen any proof? Other than what one is claiming against the other. There is thing called lible, have you heard of it? The Xede, haltech and other like units are easily adjustable by almost anyone willing to.

Hopefully Shiv will come out with more maps for you and others that have the Proceed

If you have any sense, this drama is not created between product manufactures. Your little mindset along with few others are creating this situation because your inabilities to converse about something/possibly anything. Instead, there is the need to bash.

So, building reputation is based on individually working on each person's car? Here is hint for you, there are things called performance shops which are dealers for manufactures. Should Steve Dinan do the wrenching on 'your' car in order for him to have postive rep? In due time, people have proven themselves and it just becomes a trusted name. Much like how you feel about Shiv (not discounting you). Don't get me wrong, what Shiv is doing is honorable due to him making sure that it is installed properly or for whatever reason he decides to do what he does.

Shiv sounds to be doing a good job. Does that mean that other's can't? Are your needs the same as everyone else's?

Extraordinary

The choice of other companies to represent themselves on this message board or any other is at their own discretion. Because they don't do it doesn't make them any worse/better nor their product. Maybe you shouldn't /support/buy H&R, Eibach, KW, RDsport, Hartge, Hamann, AC Schnitzer, Kelleners, HRE, hell even BMW because they don't post and keep YOU informed of what they do each moment. Would it help you if they had a webcam attached to their forehead so you can see exactly what they see to make certain what they do is appropiate enough for YOU?
      03-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #123
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

I've seen two types of marketing related to after-market tuning on this board. One of 'em seems to be working.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #124
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveff4 View Post
I don't personally know Shiv, but I used one of his TEC-II kits on my turbocharged Impreza 2.5RS a few years ago. Shiv definitely knows his stuff and has relatively quickly brought his turbo-tuning abilities to this "new" market.

However, don't be a clueless Shiv fanboy. Shiv is not doing anything special, regardless of whatever "inside" information he may appear to have. Shiv markets a good product, and he puts plenty of his own time into fine tuning it. But it's still a business...

This is NOT an attack on Shiv by any means, but this bashing of other products/people/vendors is just ignorant.
Heard about Shiv doing good work on Japanese cars.

+1

+1 Not discounting Shiv either.
      03-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #125
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a new BMW owner (I'm not) and new to this forum (I'm not). I just bought a brand new 335i (I have a 15 month old 330) and I'm lookin for some more HP/torque. Let's see if I have this straight:
1. Vishnu = 1300.00
Competition = 1500.00

2. Vishnu = 60 whp gain
Competition = 40 whp gain

3. Vishnu = about 100 customers or more with few problems

Besides all the "I can piss farther than you can" stuff....
anything Shiv or Xede would like to add?
Thank You :rocks:

edited "major" problems out, in regards to Vishnu since I have not heard cases of this first-hand
      03-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #126
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
You also forgot the RWTQ increases; I think the TQ is very important to mention, since the PROcede is adding ~ 100+ lb.-ft. RWTQ vs. ~ 40 lb.-ft. RWTQ for the competitive product; that's a significant difference (more than 2x), and what helps to get you off to a very fast start (provided you can get all that power to the wheels for a decent launch ).

Hey, let's not kid ourselves...one of the main reasons why most of us love the FI tt 335i is b/c of the very high TQ in the stock car (compared with its competitors like the Infiniti G35, etc.); so adding ~ 100+ lb.-ft. RWTQ more with the PROcede is just mind-boggling and a real rush to be behind the wheel!!!! Increasing RWTQ by ~ 40 lb.-ft. RWTQ (for a total of ~ 325 lb.-ft. RWTQ) would be ok too, but not nearly as intense of having ~ 385-400 lb.-ft RWTQ!!!!

Good Point

Still happy with the Black Box
      03-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #127
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
On that note, kind sirs, i'm going for a nice long Sunday drive

shiv
Enjoy
      03-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #128
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOK11atXEDE View Post

Again

Lachlan Riddel
Technical Director
www.chiptorque.com
www.xede.com.au

lol, garage door opener... (have no clue what it is, just funny)

Agreed, making a claim to Xede/Proceed/Haltech over who tuned what car first is almost moot.

As previously stated, 'stealing' maps when it has not been proven and based on assumption is libel. Because of emotional attachment or any other reasons, it should not be so clearly stated to possibly 'bad-mount' competitor's products.
      03-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #129
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBoler View Post
Research is good. Certainly, Shiv makes it easier to purchase his product since he provides play by play information on this board.
Agreed.

Quote:
Do you need the R&D info when you buy a Tubi Style muffler/exhaust, HKS products or anything else from a trusted name? Those companies and many others don't provide any R&D development when producing new products. This particular case with Shiv is extraordinary as customers became the 'beta' testers so he needed to keep control of the situation and keep everyone on the same page.
Really my point was that Shiv has gone above and beyond what anyone would expect. I doubt others will do the same. So for others to say he hasn't done this and that seems silly. I guess it's also silly that he even acknowledged them, but it's good for us to get the info.

Quote:
I don't think this was directed at me but the thread was created as information to share versus a bash on anyone's product. If the purpose of this thread was to bash someone else's product, wouldn't there be some statement like others have made? There was no mention that this product was better, made more power, is shinier or does something better than the Proceed. What others post on here is not under anyone else's control. Agreed that people do get carried away.
No. Not at you. I just got tired of eating popcorn.

Quote:
The information provided by both parties is informative in this case despite negative context being mixed in along with some emotions. With some filtration, there are some good facts provided
Truth.
      03-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #130
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
The thing people have to remember is that just because the black box made less power than the Procede doesn't mean it isn't capable of making more power with a better tune. Unless it is a situation where the Black Box (Exede) can't control some parameters the Procede can. You know things like the Vanos system.

I've dealt with Shiv in the past and have the utmost respect for his tuning ability and product development. He custom tuned my Evo last year and it made a world of difference, even over the through the mail tune I already had.

That said I'm not one of his fan boy minions and us Evo guys have noticed he hasn't been spending as much time with us since he has started playing with these damn expensive German cars. (not that I blame him) I know that there are other people out there that can tune a car just as good as he can, I just don't see them working with the consumer the way Shiv has on the Procede.

Bottom line is competition is a good thing for the consumer.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #131
gashero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i A22 sedan streptronic

Bottom line is why pay more money on something that is inferior. It seem like the more I read about all the posts, especially shiv, the more I wonder why go with anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #132
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
Did you get your fuel pump replaced already? How long did it take to get it done?

My initial problem was it bogged and seemed like it was being held back and a bad throttle delay/turbo lag. Reloaded the stage zero map and it put down 315hp and 375tq on eurosports dynojet. Its only been two days but all is well so far. I will let u know if I have any other problems. BTW i pmed shiv at like 4:30 on thursday and got a response and a phone call within the hour. Seriously impressive with a guy as busy as he must be. Drivability is perfect. Its driving better than it ever has so far.
Appreciate 0