E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2006 325i E90 Water pump failed

03-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
Anyone know if the replacements last any longer?
I'm at 1 year 8 months and 58,000 miles on my replacement. No issues.... yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
agentkennethwang
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice View Post
no its not hard at all ,on the 2006 bmw the water pump is located on the passenger side underneth the exhust manifold theres 3 bolts an two bolts to the thermostat drain all the antifreeze an there will b more antifreeze when u take the water pump out theres about a cup full in there ,to get the pump out theres a swaybar in the way under there take the 4 bolts off that hold it up it will swing down then u will see two bolts to the engine block take the bolts off then theres 1 bolt higher next to the thermostat its a little hard to get it off u need a open rench for that 1 then unplug the water pump an hoses an it will come right out u mad as well change the thermostat too to b safe cuz its all conected then after u get it back all together u got to bleed the system this is how u do it put the key in push the start botton but dont start it as u do that hold down the gas pedal for about 10 secends u will hear the pump kick on if u dont hear it kick on u blew a fuse the fuse box is located underneth the wiper cover take all the plasticks off to get to it then change the fuse an repet the system again put the key in hold the gas pedal down then push the start botton an hold the gas pedal down for 10 secends now u should hear the pump kick on then add more antifreeze untill u reach your levels hope this is help full for u ....
I have a 2007 328xi. I'm not sure how similar it is compared to 2006 but I am having trouble removing the first house. There is a giant bar (already removed sway bar) that is preventing me to access the hose. Anyone have any steps (as detailed or with pictures if possible) that can help? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #25
agentkennethwang
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcody3962 View Post
Newbie here. I just replaced the water pump and stat on my 06 325i. 65K miles. Same story...amber light, red light, limp mode.....

This forum was a great help with this project! Thanks all for the comments, the DIYs, and all the great support.

It took me about 4 hours start to finish...including the bath and eye wash with antifreeze.
I have a 2007 328xi and I have trouble removing the first pipe. There is a huge bar (not swaybar) right under the water pump that's making everything difficult. Is there anyway I can get around this or remove this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #26
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Same story with water pump

I had my water pump fail on my 2006 325xi about two weeks ago (on Saturday) just outside of Fort Wayne, IN with 69,835 miles. Same story; the yellow temp indicator came on and 10 seconds later, it turned red. Got the side of the road and called Cross Country Roadside Assistance for BMW owners. They were there in about one hour and they carried my 325xi to Tomkinson BMW.

On Monday, they diagnosed it as the water pump and had me back on the road by early afternoon. They did a great job. The parts are guaranteed for two years.
Since I plan on keeping this vehicle, I hope the replacement pump is more reliable.

However, the pump and bolt cost me considerably more ($74) than the MSRP for these parts. I figured that I would be paying the MSRP but when it was higher, I was shocked.
I am happy with the repair service but am unhappy with the greed of Tomkinson's parts department.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #27
lizardking
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3351 2007

Water Pump

Mine failed at 63K so replaced it along with the thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #28
lianke123321
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I have a 2006 BMW E90 325i with 105k miles and my water pump is still functional. I scan the code from time to time and have never seen code related to water pump or thermostat. I'm the third owner and I believe the water pump is still the original one. I did change part of my coolant a while back when replacing my oil filter housing gasket, with the Prestone coolant (the kind that u can buy anywhere that says compatible with any car, will not void any warranty one). The car is running fine now but I get more and more worried about this.

Anyone has experience with ebay parts? I saw that new water pump is under $200 and new thermostat is $33, are these parts reliable?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Old thread... but just to update my earlier post. My original pump died in July 2011 at 149,521 miles. I'm now at 157,000 miles on the replacement pump and have not yet had a code appear with the replacement pump.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 02:05 AM   #30
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

Replaced mine at 115k. Coolant seems to have been changed by the previous owner because it was still blue when it came out. Regardless, the pump was still working when I replaced it, just wanted to do some preventative maintenance so I wouldnt get stranded when it does go out.

One thing to note is that BMW apparently released a revised pump on the later models. I have a 2008 E60 and when I checked on RealOEM it said my waterpump was a 2nd gen waterpump.
Appreciate 0