E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery Registration (inserting foot in mouth now)

10-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Battery Registration (inserting foot in mouth now)

I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

Now I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...

Last edited by 325high; 10-22-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Well, there's a 'pro' for doing the registration. Good job posting this up
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

This is great that you posted this information. It kind of kills the debate as to whether it is worth the money to register the battery or not. I think it also proves that the manufacturer knows more about our cars than us and perhaps some of the techs we use to work on them.

It also justifies the purchase of a scan tool that can perform the battery register function for those of us who DIY.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
PiZauL
I6 + TT = FTW
Rep
Drives: AW F80

Man I love being milked of my money.. Great way of BMW to take advantage of their customers. But thanks for posting this information! I read that entire battery registration debate thread and came out of it with no final answer, this post seals the deal and empties my wallet lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/

Garage List
You might want to change the title to include "Battery Registration" so its easier to find by search.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

No "foot in mouth" at all. Thanks for getting us a definitive answer and for posting it.

BTW, here is the original thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442063
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
You might want to change the title to include "Battery Registration" so its easier to find by search.
Good idea, tags added
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

No I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...
Thanks for the follow-up! No foot in mouth. That's what this whole forum is about.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

I havent had to do this but I thought I saw in the BT Tool while I was scrolling through to do this.
If the BT tool can do this, I would say when you need it, instead of paying BMW $100.00 to register, put that money towards a BT Tool and do it yourself plus have the BT tool for future nonsense BMW tells you.
Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Damn.. I stand corrected. BMW == breaks my wallet.

Alright, anyone know if the bavtech enthusiast version will do battery registration?
      10-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the BT tool can do this, I would say when you need it, instead of paying BMW $100.00 to register, put that money towards a BT Tool and do it yourself. Just a thought.
Ya, I originally considered it but it's just not economical if it can only be used for battery registration. The registration is $90 and the tool i think is like $235. It would take a few battery registrations to make it economical.

What we should do is have a 'forum-owned' BT tool that is rented out to whoever needs it for the cost of shipping ($6?). Then they mail it to the next guy who needs it and so on. Might seem like a far fetched system but I'd try anything to avoid getting bent over by the dealership again.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i sent you the SIB i used to get my brakes covered. try another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Ya, I originally considered it but it's just not economical if it can only be used for battery registration. The registration is $90 and the tool i think is like $235. It would take a few battery registrations to make it economical.
It does a lot more than just register the battery. If you are having car troubles (ie: fluctuating rpm, misfiring, etc, it can be used to diagnose the problem.)

When I purchased the peake tool (see my sig) for my e46 it diagnosed the exact sensor to replace when the rpms were fluctuating.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

The BT tool basic version (3 VIN's) won't register battery, at least I can't figure out how to do it. Have not changed battery but have disconected cable before. Now when I scan using BT, I get error code on battery, but when I clear all codes, that code/error is still present.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I hope to all that's holy that this doesn't mean that every time you disconnect the battery it forgets the registration

Cause I've done this about 4x now for mods - nothing wrong with the car though. Wouldn't put it past them...

OK, now the next discussion/question of the day:

What is that error code you are getting on the BT RE: battery, and does it have anything to do with disconnect & registration
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

Now I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...
Here's a short tech article I posted a whole back on AGM batteries and registration: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=24

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

So if you replace the batt with AGM, it needs to be registered but not if you buy regular sealed-lead-acid.
Maybe I am missing something here.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
So if you replace the batt with AGM, it needs to be registered but not if you buy regular sealed-lead-acid.
Maybe I am missing something here.
No, all new batteries need to be registered so the car knows it's new. Otherwise voltage levels throughout the car will be messed up. I don't understand why it is this way exactly but my diagnostic report proved to me that it's necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Just to add this this post - I recently replaced my OEM with a Pepboys battery. Initially, they installed the wrong battery (size group 92, I believe). Throwing a lot of errors and long-cranks. I took it back and they popped in a group 94. Did not register the battery. This was 2 weeks ago and the only problem I've had so far is that my adaptive headlights failed intermittently but would work again after a restart. That lasted for 2 days. No errors since.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesfah View Post
Just to add this this post - I recently replaced my OEM with a Pepboys battery. Initially, they installed the wrong battery (size group 92, I believe). Throwing a lot of errors and long-cranks. I took it back and they popped in a group 94. Did not register the battery. This was 2 weeks ago and the only problem I've had so far is that my adaptive headlights failed intermittently but would work again after a restart. That lasted for 2 days. No errors since that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
The BT tool basic version (3 VIN's) won't register battery, at least I can't figure out how to do it. Have not changed battery but have disconected cable before. Now when I scan using BT, I get error code on battery, but when I clear all codes, that code/error is still present.
Yes it can. Go to Engine Module -> Commands -> Battery Replacement Adaption and then click the Send button.
      10-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #22
joelc73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I hope to all that's holy that this doesn't mean that every time you disconnect the battery it forgets the registration
I was wondering the same thing... Does anyone know the answer to this?
Appreciate 0