E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Questions for those of you who have installed an E92 M-sport bumper...

05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Questions for those of you who have installed an E92 M-sport bumper...

What's needed to do the install in terms of parts? I see people selling just bumper, grille, fogs, but depending on who you ask, this isn't enough. I've seen mention of bumper guides, air ducts, underbody shield, etc. What's actually necessary?
      05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Shinzi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
What's needed to do the install in terms of parts? I see people selling just bumper, grille, fogs, but depending on who you ask, this isn't enough. I've seen mention of bumper guides, air ducts, underbody shield, etc. What's actually necessary?
The OEM one requires all that extra stuff. The rep one utilizes all your stock stuff.

08' Atlantic Blue Metallic 335XI
SC7 19's / KW V1 / JB4 / BMS DCI / Wrapped!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzi View Post
The OEM one requires all that extra stuff. The rep one utilizes all your stock stuff.
Are you sure? Given that the rep is pretty much an exact copy of OEM (I imagine they just moulded OEM), I would imagine that the ducts don't line up. Especially given the drastically different shapes of the bumpers.
      05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Are you sure? Given that the rep is pretty much an exact copy of OEM (I imagine they just moulded OEM), I would imagine that the ducts don't line up. Especially given the drastically different shapes of the bumpers.
I'm having mine done right now. My parts just arrived at the shop and I went to talk to the installer about it yesterday. He noticed that I had all of the extra stuff and said, "I can normally make it work without all of this stuff" referring to the fender shields or whatever they are called.

We didn't get that much into it after that. I told him to use the new stuff and I'd just try and resell the old stuff. I'll try and ask him about it more if I remember when I go to pick my car up.
      05-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Shinzi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XI

Quote:
It has different holes on the bottom of the bumper to match the oem underbody shield and what not. Im sure the reps come with ducting. But you wont need anything additional once you buy a rep from one of the vendors.

08' Atlantic Blue Metallic 335XI
SC7 19's / KW V1 / JB4 / BMS DCI / Wrapped!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzi View Post
It has different holes on the bottom of the bumper to match the oem underbody shield and what not. Im sure the reps come with ducting. But you wont need anything additional once you buy a rep from one of the vendors.
From what I've seen/heard from the vendors, no ducting is included.
      05-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Here is the kit I was looking at: OEM BMW E92/93 LCI Front M Sport Bumper Kit

It comes with: Front bumper, grills, airducts, engine shield, and misc. parts required for installation. The shop told me that all of these items would need to be swapped out to get the proper airflow, etc.

Personally, I'm surprised that so many parts change. Seems like a pain in the ass for BMW and certainly isn't as cost effective in mass production.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Here is the kit I was looking at: OEM BMW E92/93 LCI Front M Sport Bumper Kit

It comes with: Front bumper, grills, airducts, engine shield, and misc. parts required for installation. The shop told me that all of these items would need to be swapped out to get the proper airflow, etc.

Personally, I'm surprised that so many parts change. Seems like a pain in the ass for BMW and certainly isn't as cost effective in mass production.
That's the same one I purchased. I can confirm that it comes with a crap-ton of parts.
      05-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Did the shop do the install or did you do it?

I have been tempted to order the kit, install all the parts and then take it in for paint.

Forget it, I just re-read your post...

Last edited by mr_milo; 05-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: need to read more... :)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
I posted a pic in this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423803

Those parts may or may not come with the rep, depending on who you order from.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

I have the jgmods rep one and it comes with everything needed for install and fitment is spot on. Honestly oem really can't compare. Your going to spend double for the same result.
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS15 View Post
I have the jgmods rep one and it comes with everything needed for install and fitment is spot on. Honestly oem really can't compare. Your going to spend double for the same result.
Did it come with all of these? Namely the necessary ducting to ensure air is properly directed to the brakes and oil cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
Is this for e92? the pic you posted isn't loading. Here's what you need if it is:

Center Grill
Left and Right Fog lights
Left and Right Fog light housing
Left and Right inner fender liners (front half)
Left and Right Brake Air Duct
Oil Cooler duct if you have an oil cooler
Engine under tray

A few other plastic parts are included, but not sure you will be able to source all of these parts as some are on backorder. I'd avoid reps and deal with tischer/longtran on this one
      05-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Did it come with all of these? Namely the necessary ducting to ensure air is properly directed to the brakes and oil cooler?
Not sure if it came with ducting for the oil cooler etc because mine was shipped directly to my body shop for paint and install. It most definitely come with fogs, fog housings and all the grilles.

I'd ask jay@jgmods to confirm what's included.

Plastic is plastic. I'd never go for oem after seein these reps
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
JGMODS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Modded

Garage List
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS15 View Post
Not sure if it came with ducting for the oil cooler etc because mine was shipped directly to my body shop for paint and install. It most definitely come with fogs, fog housings and all the grilles.

I'd ask jay@jgmods to confirm what's included.

Plastic is plastic. I'd never go for oem after seein these reps
The replica kit doesn't come with ducts. Kit includes: bumper cover, tow hook cover, headlight washer caps, bottom mesh grilles, fog light bulbs, fog light support, fog light housing, misc screws. Bumper is plug and play as is. Doesn't require fender liners and such that OEM may.

Best,
Jay
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
PBGF32
Engineer
Rep
Drives: 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMODS View Post
The replica kit doesn't come with ducts. Kit includes: bumper cover, tow hook cover, headlight washer caps, bottom mesh grilles, fog light bulbs, fog light support, fog light housing, misc screws. Bumper is plug and play as is. Doesn't require fender liners and such that OEM may.

Best,
Jay
"Bumper is plug and play as is"

OK, so does this imply that the rep kit effectively utilizes the factory ducting? I'm blind to what's behind there (duct-wise) so forgive my ignorance, but I think that's what everyone is getting at here. We just want to make sure we're not starving anything of airflow by going with the rep kit over oem.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by three35 View Post

OK, so does this imply that the rep kit effectively utilizes the factory ducting? I'm blind to what's behind there (duct-wise) so forgive my ignorance, but I think that's what everyone is getting at here. We just want to make sure we're not starving anything of airflow by going with the rep kit over oem.
Yeah, I'm a little confused here as well. I can't see any way that the bumper could look and fit like OEM, but not require OEM ducting.
      05-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by three35 View Post

Quote:
Yeah, I'm a little confused here as well. I can't see any way that the bumper could look and fit like OEM, but not require OEM ducting.
Don't worry, you will not be starving your car of any air flow. Just make sure you get the passenger (right) fog support (it's like $6). It'll allow air flow to the oil cooler. Or... you can modify the one that comes with the kit to work. All the other ducting line straight up. Below is a write up I did a while back. It should clear everything up.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793271
      05-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
Don't worry, you will not be starving your car of any air flow. Just make sure you get the passenger (right) fog support (it's like $6). It'll allow air flow to the oil cooler. Or... you can modify the one that comes with the kit to work. All the other ducting line straight up. Below is a write up I did a while back. It should clear everything up.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793271
Thanks for that - M-Sport looks damn good on your TiAg. As for the oil cooler, that won't be an issue since BMW went ahead and gave me the shaft in that department.
      05-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Quote:
Thanks for that - M-Sport looks damn good on your TiAg. As for the oil cooler, that won't be an issue since BMW went ahead and gave me the shaft in that department.
Thanks! Sorry to hear you got shafted, lol. If you start having issues with your oil temps, look into Evolution Racewerks or CP-e.