E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive Business Nav CD/DVD Drive Dead

05-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
brukutu
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

iDrive Business Nav CD/DVD Drive Dead

Hi Guys. Idrive working and all, but the DVD Drive unit seems to be dead.

It is a M-ASK unit. Also know as BMW Business Idrive Nav (non us versions)

I found lots of articles about replacing the dvd drive on it, but all for a CCC unit. Not sure what part to get from BMW.

My post from another local forum,

Hi Guys.
So turns out that my dvd drive inside my M-ASK business navigation idrive is dead.
Been reading and there seems to be a "replacement drive" from bmw themselves, but every time they seem to be talking about the CCC and not MASK unit.

anyone has any ideas?
http://forums.5series.net/topic/114604-b...placement/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...g=65&fg=45

There also seems to be some many dif part number for them and i cannot get a clear idea of what it looks like (to c if its the same as mine)

Phoned JSN and they have the part in the country, but not at their shop, so i need to pay R1400 upfront for them to order (1 day).

I do not wanna pay for the wrong thing, so if anyone could help clarify what do I need....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?p...+9+241+764
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...g=45&hl=12

Part seens to be called replace dvd drive This is what I need...just dont know what part for a MASK unit and not a CCC unit

Quote:Here is bulletin straight from BMW, not the same issue as yours but shows that the DVD drive is in fact replaceable separately. Even has the part number of the DVD drive.

SI B 65 01 10
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRS July 2010
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B65 01 10 dated June 2010. designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
CCC - "Please Insert Navigation DVD" Appears on CID
MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) produced from 1/2004 to 8/2008
E63, E64 (6 Series) produced from 1/2004 to 8/2008
E70 (X5) produced from 10/2006 to 9/2009
E71 (X6) produced from 10/2006 to 9/2009
E82, E88 (1 Series) produced from 9/2004 to 8/2008
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) produced from 3/2005 to 8/2008
All vehicles equipped with SA 609 (CCC Car Communication Computer)
SITUATION
The navigation map DVD cannot be read or detected. The message "Please insert navigation DVD" appears in the CID (Central Information Display). The navigation system is inoperative.
CAUSE
Faulty DVD drive; read error due to hardening of the anti-vibration gel on the read head
PROCEDURE
Ensure that the map DVD is not faulty by swapping it with a map DVD known to work.

Perform a vehicle test using the latest ISTA (Integrated Service Technical Application) diagnostic software.
Diagnose any relevant faults that are stored by completing the test plans.
Perform and complete the test plan "W6590_WAS2-CCC: malfunction" by selecting the fault system "411", "DVD not recognized". Please note the DIAGCODE presented at the end of the test plan. The test plan can be accessed the via the following path:
Select "Function structure\Body\Audio, Video, Telephone, Navigation\Fault patterns\Fault profile 2: Car Communication Computer".
If the test plan prompts to replace the DVD drive, refer to ISTA Repair Instructions "REP 6583580 Removing and installing/replacing DVD drive for Car Communication Computer".

Note: If the DVD drive is replaced, it is not necessary to replace the map DVD or program the vehicle. Please refer to the attachment to this Service Information bulletin, which provides information on the differences when connecting the ribbon cable to the new drive.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number: 65 83 9 241 764
Description: DVD Drive
Quantity: 1
Appreciate 0