E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

03-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #1849
eckert014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 323i

the ticking noise hasn come back but it was definatly there the first day. maybe because i kind of rip it and i have a 40-50 km commute one way everyday? i mentioned it at the dealership because i was asking about extended warranty and the service advisor said that he knows about the issue obviously and some just have it real bad and some dont he said he thinks its mainly the ppl that dont drive there that much or that far? he was a pretty cool guy but any truth in what hes saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc3libras View Post
Most important thing is to document when it happens (cold start in the morning or anytime you start before oil temp is up) so that you can show them. I have had a hard time replicating the issue. I have reported it several times. I was told there was some kind of bulletin on the issue so you could bring that up too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #1850
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

The cylinder head replacement is complete as of March 25th 2011. The N52 runs fantastic. Two thumbs up to the mechanics, as it never even looked touched.

I also noted that the engine idles smoother too…

Good luck to all going through the N52 issue.

A quick one page link which I posted before. It is a good read for those just jumping to the end of this thread. It will give you an idea that it is process and does not get fixed in a week.

http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e60-e61/...e-tappet-noise

Here is a copy of the invoice if anyone may ever need it.
Attached Images

Last edited by DL; 03-25-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #1851
matebo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 335i Alpine White

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I had the same problem, I went to BMW Service, they replace my cylinder. Then the noise gone. It is a 9k job, my car is still under warranty. You should get yours done asap
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #1852
cahoont
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Less than one week after having the exhaust lifters replaced the tick is back. Now I get the joy of dealing with BMW NA once again to get the cylinder head replaced.
      03-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #1853
Mr.E92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i E92

Garage List
2012 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahoont View Post
Less than one week after having the exhaust lifters replaced the tick is back. Now I get the joy of dealing with BMW NA once again to get the cylinder head replaced.
Damn, sorry to hear that. Keep us Posted so we can see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #1854
Guam128i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykes22 View Post
I had the same ticking noise in my engine just before I reached my break-in. Some days it is there and sometimes it's not. It goes away after driving a couple of miles or when the engine is warm. Found out the oil level was low ( check you manual). I filled it to the max level and the noise never came back. If it persists then check with your dealer.
I wish the car had a dipstick
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #1855
Lebo932
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
07 328i  [0.00]
i only read the first few pages ( and last) of this thread so sorry in advance if this was already discussed but i didnt see it... When i bought my e92 i noticed the ticking and asked what it was and if it would be fixed etc. A service person at the bmw dealership told me that there was a recall on these lifter parts due to the mass amount of people complaining of the ticking, but then when i asked if they would replace them he said they would for free but not until they could see that it was causing a real problem (other than the noise?) All of this is suposed to apply reguardless of if the car is still under warranty or not because there is a factory recall on the part. Is this true or were they just bullshitting me? Again, sorry if this was discussed already i didnt read all 85 pages...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #1856
DL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebo932 View Post
i only read the first few pages ( and last) of this thread so sorry in advance if this was already discussed but i didnt see it... When i bought my e92 i noticed the ticking and asked what it was and if it would be fixed etc. A service person at the bmw dealership told me that there was a recall on these lifter parts due to the mass amount of people complaining of the ticking, but then when i asked if they would replace them he said they would for free but not until they could see that it was causing a real problem (other than the noise?) All of this is suposed to apply reguardless of if the car is still under warranty or not because there is a factory recall on the part. Is this true or were they just bullshitting me? Again, sorry if this was discussed already i didnt read all 85 pages...
The service person gave you BS, get this BS in writing, as it is BS (the service person should lose his job on that statement). There is NO recall on this. However, it is a known problem and BMW starts the fix with replacing the lifters. No service dept. waits until the engine breaks down on this issue. Here is a copy of the BMW TSB provided by another member. Start with the process of getting this issue taken care of while you still have a warranty left. It will cost you a small fortune if done OUT of warranty.

Here is the link to the TSB:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1057

Last edited by DL; 03-31-2011 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #1857
distortionist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Hi guys, I bought my first used BMW a couple of weeks ago, it still had some warentee left ( thank god! ) It is a 2007 328i with 62,000 km on it. I took it to the dealer after I got it for them to check it out, I had a few complaints too, the radio was fading when hot, the blower squeeks sometimes, my breaks may have an issue they seem to keep ignoring, and the ticking. All didn't happen when I test drove the car, it seemed like its in MINT condition. Anyway, they fixed all issues except the breaks and ticking, Ill stick to the ticking for now.. they could not recreate the problem, when I went to pick it up from them, as soon as I start the car, tick tick tick, so I called a service guy out there to hear it, and he did, it was very loud.

It was closing time on a Friday so they called me back on Monday, and wanted me to record it for them, I did, it was a short and crappy recording i took a few days ago, but I couldn't get a better one because my car is behaving, so I fired it off to them today. In the email I let them know that I am aware that its a problem with the head, and that they replace lifters first, and let them know my only concern is running out of warranty before its fixed properly.

Do I have reason to be worried guys ? or would they honor this ticking stuff for a while.. say they replace my lifters now, the car has 66,000 on it, and then the ticking comes back at say 85,000, would they replace my head then under warranty ? would they warranty their work for a certain period too ? I would assume changing the head will come with some warranty of their work wouldn't it ?

I am terrified looking at the costs this may accumulate! Thanks guys.

Sorry for a bad first post
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #1858
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: n52

Hi All,

Of course just as my warranty runs out, @ 53k now, May 2007 build, I get the ticking noise on cold starts. Matches the audio/video samples in this thread perfect, it doesn't happen every time I start the car, but I figure it's only get progressively worse over time... So looking at the scary invoice that "DL" graciously provided, I'm curious what kind total cost of this operation might run me? I'm in the same boat as "distortionist" and hoping anyone who had this repair done out of warranty can chime in? Thanks in advance.

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #1859
distortionist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

It sucks doesn't it ? If it took that long to happen the first time, if they don't change the head and it is the problem, they get out of properly fixing the root cause of the problem, so we can ditch 10G for it later.. that'll make up for the stupid lifters they replace..

When I emailed them the sound clip I voiced my concern, and I also let them know it would seem that the proper fix for this is the engine head, they said only earlier engines needed the head replaced, that they will probably just replace the lifters and the cam. I call that bullshit because if its not the head starving them from oil, they wouldn't need replacing now would they ?

Anyway, if it does come back I have record of my concern of it happening again after warranty and that I have done my research and believe that its the head that needed replacing. So when it happens again at say 120,000 Km out of warranty ill tell them that the head needed replacing to begin with and that they should cover the costs.

I don't believe there is no recall and BMW doesn't just change the head to begin with since they know its the problem.. this is BMW!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #1860
328xihalogen
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
It sucks doesn't it ? If it took that long to happen the first time, if they don't change the head and it is the problem, they get out of properly fixing the root cause of the problem, so we can ditch 10G for it later.. that'll make up for the stupid lifters they replace..

When I emailed them the sound clip I voiced my concern, and I also let them know it would seem that the proper fix for this is the engine head, they said only earlier engines needed the head replaced, that they will probably just replace the lifters and the cam. I call that bullshit because if its not the head starving them from oil, they wouldn't need replacing now would they ?

Anyway, if it does come back I have record of my concern of it happening again after warranty and that I have done my research and believe that its the head that needed replacing. So when it happens again at say 120,000 Km out of warranty ill tell them that the head needed replacing to begin with and that they should cover the costs.

I don't believe there is no recall and BMW doesn't just change the head to begin with since they know its the problem.. this is BMW!
So I have read most of this thread. Unfortunately I did not see it until now and my warranty expired 2 months ago. Now I recall I heard such ticking noise (but not as severe as some of the sound clips uploaded in the thread) last winter. But right now, it seems fine. Well, I only got 28K miles on the car and I drive at least 10 miles each trip, so it may come up again when the mileage goes higher or when I have shorter regular commun.
But here is my question, it is almost sure the ticking is due to design flaw on the HVL/head, and the best prove for that is BMW re-design the HVL/head after 2008. so why there is no recall? I mean I can see BMW won't be willing to put 3-5K cost to each E90/92 they produced pre-2008, but shouldn't there be some authorization to put BMW in the position where they should at least do something? say extend the warranty for the engine head till 100K? I mean I also have a 2007 Passat, and I recently got a letter say my auto-gear box will receive 2 years extended warranty because there is a common rough shift problem, and only apply to Passat B6 pre 2008 (that means Passat from 2006-2008). It is not a recall, but at least they know there is a design flaw and they did something for us. I think the BMW is a very similar situation here. even if they think it does not happen to each sigle E90, but as long as there is a design flaw existing, they should do something, right? So can we send letter to somewhere/someone to make this happen?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #1861
wiseweasel
The wisest of weasels!
Rep
Drives: Fast!

So I took my car in for the first time since I bought it (CPO) and while in I mentioned the "tick". They looked at it and are replacing the lifters. Not too concerned as I have a ton of warranty left, and they recognized the problem right away. I was fully expecting them to say they couldn't re-produce the issue and I was going to be in for a battle. So for right now, I'm happy. Hopefully this will solve my issue, although I am not expecting it to. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #1862
Speed 2179
DriveR ...
Canada
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 335i & 06 Ac TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
My first one had the ticking problem. It happened at first mostly when I went for a long drive at highway speeds and then let it sit for a couple of days, then started happening more frequently. When I spoke to BMW about it (after the warranty had expired), they said that a master mechanic had to listen to it and then they would make an offer as to how much they would pay - it was like it was a standard problem, and it was nothing out of the ordinary for them to arrange.

I got rid of the car before the booking with the mechanic, and touch wood my new one hasn't got this problem yet. I must say though that after you have had the problem you start to listen to your engine more and hear all sorts of things.
////////////////////////////////////////////

So the ticking noise, isnt there a natural ticking noise from the BMW engine regardless, I test drove a couple of 335's and they shared the same ticking noise, just like the Hodan Vtec motors have that small ticking noise. Now the Ticking Noise Problem/Issues within this thread, how does that noise sound (louder etc) then the reg ticking noise... Maybe I test drove both cars and they had the ticking noise issue then... Hmmmmm. Would love some feedback thanks..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #1863
DL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed 2179 View Post
////////////////////////////////////////////

So the ticking noise, isnt there a natural ticking noise from the BMW engine regardless, I test drove a couple of 335's and they shared the same ticking noise, just like the Hodan Vtec motors have that small ticking noise. Now the Ticking Noise Problem/Issues within this thread, how does that noise sound (louder etc) then the reg ticking noise... Maybe I test drove both cars and they had the ticking noise issue then... Hmmmmm. Would love some feedback thanks..
Speed,

Click the link in my signature. It will take you to an oil starved lifter noise video.

BTW the 335i has the N54, and will not have this particular problem. Not to say the N54 may never get lifter noise, but that is not what this thread is having an issue with...

Last edited by DL; 04-05-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: N54 added
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #1864
Speed 2179
DriveR ...
Canada
Rep
Drives: LCI E90 335i & 06 Ac TL

Thanks DL,

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #1865
wiseweasel
The wisest of weasels!
Rep
Drives: Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseweasel View Post
So I took my car in for the first time since I bought it (CPO) and while in I mentioned the "tick". They looked at it and are replacing the lifters. Not too concerned as I have a ton of warranty left, and they recognized the problem right away. I was fully expecting them to say they couldn't re-produce the issue and I was going to be in for a battle. So for right now, I'm happy. Hopefully this will solve my issue, although I am not expecting it to. Wish me luck!
So I received my car back on Tuesday, and so far so good. No tick. Lets hope it stays that way. I'll post back if it returns.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #1866
tjct
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

Just a thought.....anyone try different oil ?

My exhaust lifters were replaced couple weeks ago, and the ticking just started again. Has anyone experimented with non-bmw oils like Red Line, Amsoil, or Lubro Moly to see if it silences the ticking?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #1867
BMW19
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Smile

After reading this thread I have decided not to buy pre 2008 N52 BMW.

I will wait for a 335i CPO.

You guys have done a great job here. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #1868
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i white/black

WOOHHH!! I GET TO GET MY CYLINDER HEAD REPLACED -______- i notice this sound ALOTT. thank god im still under cpo til next year. my cars at 80k. this thread is very helpful. thanks to all
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #1869
CaliforniaBoy5
Rep
Drives: 08 328 w/ iDrive

Hey guys,
I purchased my CPO 2008 328i on Feb 28th and it had the horrible tick. The dealership said it was quite common and agreed to have the lifters replaced. I made an appointment for April 04th and they got me a loaner for the time the car was there. Although not required by CPO warranty McKenna BMW has taken care of me.

April 4th came, car had the lifters replaced and i didnt hear a tick until this morning.

I called my SA at Mckenna BMW and he set an appointment for me for April 26th to replace the cylinder head and reserved me a loaner for the 2-3 days he estimated i'd be without my car.

I'll let you guys know how it went after I get the head replaced. So far its been easy working with Mckenna throughout this process and I am hoping I will have my car tick-free after the cylinder head.

Just curious, has anyone had the cylinder head replaced and have the tick come back??
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #1870
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Omg! I have the same ticking, but just in the morning at cold start for some idle time, them gone away after drive it. Its not louder but i would like to fix it. I have warranty till get 100k miles, i bought the car with 51k miles. Current miles is 55k. I should be to say to my dealer go dirrect to remplace the cylinder head not the lifter. I have been read some last thread, and with just lifter fix the tick come back. I dont want to waste time fixing the lifter while bmw know the big problem is in the Cy head.

Last edited by yoandry; 04-15-2011 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0