E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Cold Air Intake Being Installed Today

01-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4; 2022 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
my fav intake however 1k is too much. id pay maybe 4-500$ for a non cf version. id also like to know if there is a sound change with the dinan intake?
I don't notice a sound change. The Dinan setup retains the stock air box and adds a 2nd cold air source via a pickup tube that ends down low behind the left fog light /brake cooling area.

Point being if it makes any appreciable noise difference down there I don't hear it! But it does make lots of extra HP in the upper RPM area, at least according to my dyno tests.

Do a search for "Dinan CAI" for lots of info on that intake.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
canderson
Cogito Ergo Zoom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3, 2016 BMW X1

Garage List
2008 335xi  [10.00]
I love mine. A DCI is clearly better bag for the buck but I can't stand the look or sound of them. I wanted a real CAI and Dinan's design is unique in adding another air path in addition to the factory one rather than replacing it. It was either the Dinan or the Mr.5 home made version for me. The Dinan one is so pretty that I couldn't resist. If I only cared about cost I would be driving a tuned Mustang GT.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canderson View Post
I love mine. A DCI is clearly better bag for the buck but I can't stand the look or sound of them. I wanted a real CAI and Dinan's design is unique in adding another air path in addition to the factory one rather than replacing it. It was either the Dinan or the Mr.5 home made version for me. The Dinan one is so pretty that I couldn't resist. If I only cared about cost I would be driving a tuned Mustang GT.
+1

I can't stand the look of the DCI's either. Ruins the aesthetics of the engine bay in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

One the way to the movies last night with clearer roads from a cold start I didnt really notice any difference from 0-60s at first in regards to Torque and HP.

After 60mph there was noticeable HP and Torque gain. As mentioned before the choppy acceleration is no more.

After the movies I took it on 95 and let it all out. I am now able to go deep into the RPMs about 7300 power does not seem to decrease. As soon as I shifted to fourth it felt like a kick in the ass by a horse with longer torque holds.

I ran the car on the 95 for about 30 miles in order for the ECU to adapt to the new part and it sure did. 0 - 60 punches way harder than it did before.

I love the new look and the porportioned power advantage it delivers.

No sound changes.

From now on though the option key is to let 3rd hit red and then shift. One thing it doesnt like is elevated excelertaion if your racing, it likes instant acceleration and from here its all long torques in between gears.

Different attitude and animal now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Next on the list in their order

Free Flow Exaust
Intercooler
Oil Cooler
Dinan S3 software ( if able to be backed up on Cobb's AP)

I will be rolling with Cobb's AP as soon as they support 07.
Seems really stupid. I could understand going with the intake out of pure sex appeal and because it's actually a great intake... if you can swing it. But why would you spend all that money buying Dinan parts if you intend to run the COBB AP anyways?

Quote:
I am now able to go deep into the RPMs about 7300 power does not seem to decrease
That's pretty nice. Didn't even know the Dinan intake came with a redline increase! Now $1000 for an intake doesn't sound so bad after all haha. What was it increased to? 7500? 8000?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi MSport Coupe

Quote:
One the way to the movies last night with clearer roads from a cold start I didnt really notice any difference from 0-60s at first in regards to Torque and HP.

After 60mph there was noticeable HP and Torque gain. As mentioned before the choppy acceleration is no more.

After the movies I took it on 95 and let it all out. I am now able to go deep into the RPMs about 7300 power does not seem to decrease. As soon as I shifted to fourth it felt like a kick in the ass by a horse with longer torque holds.

I ran the car on the 95 for about 30 miles in order for the ECU to adapt to the new part and it sure did. 0 - 60 punches way harder than it did before.

I love the new look and the porportioned power advantage it delivers.

No sound changes.

From now on though the option key is to let 3rd hit red and then shift. One thing it doesnt like is elevated excelertaion if your racing, it likes instant acceleration and from here its all long torques in between gears.

Different attitude and animal now

Very very nice! Ok that's it I need one now in mine. I think it's almost kind of sacrilegious not to have the Cold Air if you have Dinan Software in the car. I’m not taking full advantage of the software in mine as a result. I think I’ll have mine done at the end of next month. I already got a quote and the part is ready and available for me after talking to the Dinan rep at the BMW dealer. I was on the fence before but now you’ve convinced me man!

E92 335xi MSport Coupe - Dinan Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #29
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Yea, no way your shifting that high, and an intake isnt putting your peak HP that high either.

Placebo effect. Enjoy the car, but realize your peak power is in the 5800 RPM range.

Its a great looking intake, but the cost/Hp ratio is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4; 2022 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
Yea, no way your shifting that high, and an intake isnt putting your peak HP that high either.

Placebo effect. Enjoy the car, but realize your peak power is in the 5800 RPM range.

Its a great looking intake, but the cost/Hp ratio is beyond me.
I respectfully disagree. I think the OP's point, and my experience as well, is that after installation of the intake peak power doesn't level off after 5800, but continues on until somewhere around 6400. See this link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...nan+CAI&page=2 .....check out post #36 for the dyno test.

OP - if you choose to dyno your car it should be easy to do. Just swap out the Dinan lid with the stock air filter lid. Quick and easy, and nothing else changes including atmospheric conditions.

I'd like to see if your results mirror mine.
Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #31
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRules View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think the OP's point, and my experience as well, is that after installation of the intake peak power doesn't level off after 5800, but continues on until somewhere around 6400. See this link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...nan+CAI&page=2 .....check out post #36 for the dyno test.

OP - if you choose to dyno your car it should be easy to do. Just swap out the Dinan lid with the stock air filter lid. Quick and easy, and nothing else changes including atmospheric conditions.

I'd like to see if your results mirror mine.
Rick
Max power is still 5800.... 5 HP sustained longer wont be in the seat of the pants power. (and is still not worth $1000).

I'm all for a gain of power, but for another $2000 you can slap on some upgraded turbos and really feel something.
Ps my original post intention was to show hes not shifting at 7000+ RPM. I'll agree to disagree this intake is worth $1000 and have you guys enjoy the rest of your day.

Last edited by Shellacked135i; 01-15-2011 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #32
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I love the idea of the Dinan intake.
There are a couple things that are pretty cool...

-A lot of people see the filter in the bumper and they ask "what happens if it rains?" like it's going to suck in water. The best thing about still having the panel filter is that the air going into the engine will take the path of least resistance. The filter in the bumper could be completely submerged and the air entering the engine will still go through the panel filter.

-Cool air is better than hot (even when the car has an intercooler). I proved this when I did my test compairing the DCI. The cooler air showed less stress on the turbos.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #33
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I cant believe they don't sell a cheaper version. I've put about $1,200 in my car but it's netted me ~120 whp . Better money to be spent elsewhere, I Do want to mod my dci"s to work better tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #34
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I love the idea of the Dinan intake.
There are a couple things that are pretty cool...

-A lot of people see the filter in the bumper and they ask "what happens if it rains?" like it's going to suck in water. The best thing about still having the panel filter is that the air going into the engine will take the path of least resistance. The filter in the bumper could be completely submerged and the air entering the engine will still go through the panel filter.

-Cool air is better than hot (even when the car has an intercooler). I proved this when I did my test compairing the DCI. The cooler air showed less stress on the turbos.
I rather pay for a Mr. 5 intake to be honest.... Maybe you should start offering it for the people that dont have the means/too lazy etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #35
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

I'm sorry, but I'm not even sure why you would really want to post on this board that you bought a Dinan product? Just saying because every stage/level of Dinan tune has been tromped on by the competitors at a fraction of the cost. All you get when you buy Dinan(in general) is a name on a part that isn't as optimized as it could be and costs wayyyyyy more than it's worth.

Also, for me, the cf just looks wack. I would rather have a black plastic version so it blended in rather than sticking out like the elephant in the room.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #36
BMOEW
Lieutenant Colonel
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is AW

Waste of money
2011 335IS Alpine White|Coral Red|DCT|BuraQ E60 Tune|DCI|VRSF 3" DownPipes| ER ChargePipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV|VRSF 7" FMIC|RB PCV| BMS Oil Catch Can|NGK 5992|AQUAMIST HFS-4 w/Twin Methanol Tank|Custom Exhaust| ST Coilovers| and a METAL FOOT
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #37
Mikey_Bo0sts
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 335i M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not even sure why you would really want to post on this board that you bought a Dinan product? Just saying because every stage/level of Dinan tune has been tromped on by the competitors at a fraction of the cost. All you get when you buy Dinan(in general) is a name on a part that isn't as optimized as it could be and costs wayyyyyy more than it's worth.

Also, for me, the cf just looks wack. I would rather have a black plastic version so it blended in rather than sticking out like the elephant in the room.
going all dinan is saving your waranty some people don't want to fuck with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
Ps my original post intention was to show hes not shifting at 7000+ RPM.
Tried to duplicate what was done for a fact last night and failed. It would not allow me to go pass 7000RPM. It would auto shift when it got to 6900-7000 RPM. Too many attempts engine light came on and then had to restart. So I will throw the towel in on this one.

HP and Torque still stronger in the higher RPM though, nothing has changed with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i
Max power is still 5800.... 5 HP sustained longer wont be in the seat of the pants power
The only way to know for a fact is by Dyno. Will be doing one for the new add on soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRules
Coming soon....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #39
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Bo0sts View Post
going all dinan is saving your waranty some people don't want to fuck with that.
That's a negative. My local dealers disagree with you, and their the ones that really make the decisions...unless you want to spend way more to argue with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #40
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Why would you want to go beyond 7000rpms is beyond me...Its way over the stock turbos efficiency anyways, plus its not all that great for the engine longevity as a whole even if you could go beyond 7000rpms
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #41
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake335xi View Post
Very very nice! Ok that's it I need one now in mine. I think it's almost kind of sacrilegious not to have the Cold Air if you have Dinan Software in the car. I’m not taking full advantage of the software in mine as a result. I think I’ll have mine done at the end of next month. I already got a quote and the part is ready and available for me after talking to the Dinan rep at the BMW dealer. I was on the fence before but now you’ve convinced me man!
Actually I had the same conversation with my Dinan shop after I had the S2 loaded, and they highly recommended the exhaust first then the CAI, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #42
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Bo0sts View Post
That's a negative. My local dealers disagree with you, and their the ones that really make the decisions...unless you want to spend way more to argue with them.
That's a positive. My local dealer agrees with him, so therefor that makes your local dealer really suck. My CPO is still honored with Braman BMW. What doesnt apply to you doesnt mean it doesnt apply to another.

Like I said many times I am not all about HP, and HP is not everything, and there are many people out there that feel the same way. I didnt post for you, I posted for those whos vehicles are powerd by Dinan and who may intend of going the path of Dinan. No where did I see Piggybacks only.

There is a bigger picture at the end, many take shortcuts others preffer to take the safest way.

Last edited by BQTuning; 01-15-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #43
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Why would you want to go beyond 7000rpms is beyond me...Its way over the stock turbos efficiency anyways, plus its not all that great for the engine longevity as a whole even if you could go beyond 7000rpms
This is understood, sometimes we just like to turn over every stone of possibility with our toys.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Actually I had the same conversation with my Dinan shop after I had the S2 loaded, and they highly recommended the exhaust first then the CAI, FWIW.
LOL... I had the same delima as to what I should start first with. So I emailed Dinan and here is the reponse I got:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott @ Dinan
Thank you for your interest in Dinan performance products.

My recommendation, if I were approaching the modifications in steps, would be to start with the software as it offers the most dramatic increase in power, particularly for the investment. Next would be the intake. Nice power gains and it smoothes out acceleration for nicer drivability and even faster acceleration. Exhaust would likely be my next move and then the intercooler. Bear in mind that you can use the intercooler with stage 2 software but for the biggest increase in power you would want to move to the Stage 3 (high boost) software as well. This will also require the larger oil cooler as well to keep temperatures in check.

Feel free to call me at 800-341-xxx, xXXX if you would like to discuss this further.

Best regards,

Scott Leandres
Appreciate 0