E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > wrapped my car

04-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #287
djaemac
Oh haiz
Rep
Drives: slllloooooowwww

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirnegrey View Post
do we have to really take them off?

Not necessarily...

i didnt take off my door handles..

i'll take some close ups for everyone
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #288
djaemac
Oh haiz
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
Would the sensors on the door handle work with vinyl over it?
Sensors work perfectly fine with the 631 vinyl i used =)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #289
djaemac
Oh haiz
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYR03 View Post
Congrats! This guy needs an award!

...a vinyl wrapped medal.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #290
djaemac
Oh haiz
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Is it possible for you to take some more close up pics of the seams... I'd like to see how noticeable it is where you had to join two pieces of film because it wasn't large enough.

I been scouring these pics you've already posted and I can't seem to find any seams anywhere... either you're REALLY good or this stuff hides it well? (Or both)? TIA.
i'll take pics of the seams

most just blend in together...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #291
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

can you teach me? i'll pay u i'm in san diego by ucsd

car's a e46 m3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #292
djaemac
Oh haiz
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyesiam View Post
It is a very good install especially for a first time. But I want to see pictures of it 3 months from now.

Surface prep: This is the most important part. I good install is worth nothing if it does not stay stuck. Clean and strip all wax with Prep-sol or wax and grease remover. Get it at the local body shop and auto paint supply. Pay close attention to those hard to get in cracks and under the fender wells as well as all places the edge of the vinyl lays. Prep-sol does not remove much but breaks it loose. re-clean with common rubbing alcohol to remove residue. This takes 2 or 3 times to get it all. Go over those same tough spot more than once. When it is clean enough to wrap you should be able lightly place the palm of your hand on it and almost feel like you could stick to it like Spiderman. The use of Prep-sol increases adhesion 6 times more than if you just cleaned it with alcohol.

Now as far as vinyl handling I won't get into. Those of us that make a living doing this prefer to keep our trade secrets. I will say this that car should not take more than a day to wrap by an experienced installer. The biggest reason I even started this reply is I hate seeing folks being mislead and damaging their cars by getting the idea this is an easy task and can be done with intermediate vinyls like 651 or some other calendered vinyl that is meant for flat sign work.

how bout i post a pic of the car a year from now and you tell me if i messed it up..

I never said it was an easy job, and they're called "experienced" installers who do it within a day because they do it for a living.

I don't do this for a living and this was just a project.

I'm also not trying to mislead anyone or try to damage others cars. Now that there is a way for people to do it on their own, then vinyl wrapping companies will lose money. I'm trying to save car owners who want to wrap their car some money by doing it for themselves.

If my car will only look cool for 3 months, then so be it.

Point is, I just wanted to try it for fun. It came out well, and it looks good to me and obviously to alot of members on this forum.

Like i said; Hate it, love it...it was my first time
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #293
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

great write up...good job
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #294
Genesis200T
Registered
Rep
Drives: Genesis Coupe

This looks very good !
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #295
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325 is

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaemac View Post
how bout i post a pic of the car a year from now and you tell me if i messed it up..

I never said it was an easy job, and they're called "experienced" installers who do it within a day because they do it for a living.

I don't do this for a living and this was just a project.

I'm also not trying to mislead anyone or try to damage others cars. Now that there is a way for people to do it on their own, then vinyl wrapping companies will lose money. I'm trying to save car owners who want to wrap their car some money by doing it for themselves. I do understand the challenge of wanting to do this for fun and you did do one hell of an install.

If my car will only look cool for 3 months, then so be it.

Point is, I just wanted to try it for fun. It came out well, and it looks good to me and obviously to alot of members on this forum.

Like i said; Hate it, love it...it was my first time
My point is that it is misleading because wrapping a car with intermediate vinyls and lack of experience will lead to costly damage to a good paint job. That is not saving money. Now if your dressing up a old turd of a car knock yourself out but to do this without knowing what you are doing to a nice BMW is a waste of money.

Might I add to if you are dressing up an old car why not just paint it flat black. That you can do for $50 and and a whole lot less trouble. I understand the challenge of wanting to do this for fun and you did do one hell of an install.

Last edited by ahyesiam; 04-27-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #296
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

The challenge of it all.

It is fun to play with the stuff. Everything in my shop has been wrapped at one time or another including my GF.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #297
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyesiam View Post
Send me your email.
you've got PM... thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #298
ResurrectedMetal
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 VW Jetta

I joined this forum just to comment on this thread. I've read every single post and realized somebody needs to say this.

First off, big props to the OP for not not only attempting something like this but doing a kick azz job at that!

Second, what's with all the comments about "ruining a paint job" and "covering a real finish with a fake plastic one"? When did exterior paint on a car become sacred? The only reason you purists have a problem with it is because you were taught to think that way. If vinyl wrapping was invented before paint, people would be shocked at someone removing it and "painting" their car instead. Years ago, wood floors were the only flooring, then someone decided it looked cheap and was only for people who couldn't afford carpeting. Now people rip out the carpet to expose the "beautiful" hardwood floor that's underneath. No one says "you've ruined" a cellphone when you put a colored case on it or a house when you change the exterior. Get my point? Get over it. People that need to keep the original factory finish in pristine condition are obviously using their car a status symbol. Who cares how much you pay for a car, if you want to change the exterior, change it. The guy decided to wrap his car by himself with a color he likes and he did a great job. End of story. Who gives a crap about anyone else's opinion of it? We don't need to hear how stupid you think it is. Like he's going to take it off because you don't like it? There are no rules....it's a car... any customization is an expression of your personality and taste. I tear apart perfectly good motorcycles and rebuild them the way I see fit. I don't listen to anyone tell me what I can or can't do with a vehicle. Using creativity and going against the grain should be encouraged and applauded. If more people got off there butts and changed the status quo, the world just might be a better place.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #299
sillygoat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i tiag

agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResurrectedMetal View Post
I joined this forum just to comment on this thread. I've read every single post and realized somebody needs to say this.

First off, big props to the OP for not not only attempting something like this but doing a kick azz job at that!

Second, what's with all the comments about "ruining a paint job" and "covering a real finish with a fake plastic one"? When did exterior paint on a car become sacred? The only reason you purists have a problem with it is because you were taught to think that way. If vinyl wrapping was invented before paint, people would be shocked at someone removing it and "painting" their car instead. Years ago, wood floors were the only flooring, then someone decided it looked cheap and was only for people who couldn't afford carpeting. Now people rip out the carpet to expose the "beautiful" hardwood floor that's underneath. No one says "you've ruined" a cellphone when you put a colored case on it or a house when you change the exterior. Get my point? Get over it. People that need to keep the original factory finish in pristine condition are obviously using their car a status symbol. Who cares how much you pay for a car, if you want to change the exterior, change it. The guy decided to wrap his car by himself with a color he likes and he did a great job. End of story. Who gives a crap about anyone else's opinion of it? We don't need to hear how stupid you think it is. Like he's going to take it off because you don't like it? There are no rules....it's a car... any customization is an expression of your personality and taste. I tear apart perfectly good motorcycles and rebuild them the way I see fit. I don't listen to anyone tell me what I can or can't do with a vehicle. Using creativity and going against the grain should be encouraged and applauded. If more people got off there butts and changed the status quo, the world just might be a better place.
      04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #300
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:

^ much respect to a first time poster... we need more guys like you on here.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #301
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:

gonna have to agree with you boss!!!

While i see that some people are just trying to let people know that hey there are some dangers to this and your original paint... there are people who are giving a very negative opinion of this guy's decision to do this.

Who's to say that after this film goes bad he wont rip it off and apply a higher quality different color in its place?

Regardless i think if he likes it, then it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #302
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

good stuff!!!!! props!
      04-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #303
mgonz3
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Alpine White

that actually came out really nice! good work!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #304
flymosquera
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hey did you used all 25 yd to cover the car? And also did you waste a lot of vinyl or did you used all of the 25 yd on the car??
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #305
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

wow! just WOW! that is very impressive. You also have a great fiance if she put up with all of that and even helped!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #306
flymosquera
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hey I am planning on doing this on my cousins car... But I dont know what vinyl to get.. I read all the things people post here about the oracol 651 and 751...I really coundt get to a conclusion which is should I use.. I want to know what you guys think will be the best choice?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:35 AM   #307
ahyesiam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

You don't think you would be pissed off if you decide to do some customizing on your BMW because some some one said here is how you can do it real cheap only to find out it didn't work out the way you thought or fell apart 6 weeks later only to find out it will cost you 3k to fix it. I give the dude a double A plus and hope it last him a good long time. I also know that if that if it doesn't he will do it again and learn from his mistake. Anyone with that tenacity to do that kind of work right out of the starting gate on a project like that will make it work for him. But their are several people that have read this post jumping off half cocked with little or no clue what they are getting into and are going to wish they had done some more research. We are talking about tackling a job that most people give up on the after the first attempt. I have seen wrap training classes that only 3 out 10 could actually do it without throwing in the towel before it was over and that was with proper training and the right materials. There is nothing wrong with letting others know the pitfalls and what not to do to save them some headaches later.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #308
SSDD
Reading > Posting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Props to the OP for doing a quality job

And if autoblog is leading this many experts here to point out why we are doing it wrong we need to get more articles up there.