E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Carplay Pioneer DA120 Appradio4 ordered!

10-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #45
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE

Quick update - I'm really impressed with the Appradio4 and carplay up to now - it would be nice to have some more apps, but I have discovered today that some 3rd party music apps, once up and running can be controlled from the now playing screen.

Apple Maps is quite smart - when I set off from home in the morning it guesses I am going to work and sets things up read to navigate, same when coming home from work. I have been using the traffic info on the map to see the best way home and it seem quite accurate.

I have mounted my iphone on a brodit mount next to the steering wheel, as you then get dual screen action! When navigating, you get the map on the Appradio4 display and turn by turn instructions on the iphone screen.

There have been a few little bugs - the onscreen keyboard has a couple of times gone strange, but coming out and going back into the app sorted it.

Also, a couple of times the volume of the music has not reduced for nav directions.

These bugs don't appear to have occurred since I upgraded iOS to 8.1 though!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #46
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I finally got a chance to connect up my sub and amp this evening just before it went dark.

Going through the settings I discovered some useful features I had not noticed before, such as setting the driver side to change the carplay interface.

The built in amp is a major improvement to the Pro headunit - I bought some secondhand Logic tweeters and covers off ebay - hopefully these will work well enough with my sub and the base mids and woofers to give me decent sound.

One strange thing I did notice was that when setting up the driver location under the EQ settings, the right and left front seat settings appeared to be the wrong way around!

Siri is still causing much amusement - I really need to move the mic, but I ran out of time before it went dark - hopefully will get chance at work during lunch.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #47
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420D

I just got my radio and installed in the car. However it gets no power. It's not running on when the car is on. I checked every wire and connector. It all seems correct. Any idea what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #48
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Check you fuses. How have you connected the perm power? You need a switchable and a perm power connection. My connects2 gave the temp power from the loom, but I had to connect yellow wire from the connects2 to the battery.

Last edited by Emeye; 10-30-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #49
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Ok got it running now but the steering wheel controls won't work. Where did you connect the patch lead in the radio itself? Into the W/R connector?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #50
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQeez View Post
Ok got it running now but the steering wheel controls won't work. Where did you connect the patch lead in the radio itself? Into the W/R connector?
I think so! Have you got the correct connects2 steering wheel adapter? Apparently there is another type of adapter that looks the same yet doesn't work with the connects2 stuff.

What was the power problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #51
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

The power issue was with the fuse.

Siting in the car now and it's a connects2 adapter. I get sound but the steering wheel controls and the rear sensors are gone. And I am not sure why. I don't know where else I could missed something.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #52
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Mine worked straight away without any messing - you def have the correct connects2 for your model of stereo? - there is a generic one that may need modding depending on your model of headunit or different ones prewired.

I'd be tempted to disconnect all the conencts2 connectors and reseat - it is very tight putting everything behind the stereo, could the lead have come out of the back of the headunit?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #53
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...e-din-kit.html

this was the kit I got. Its very strange that its not working. I am about to give up... 6h now trying to figure this out
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #54
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I'd disconnect the connects2 and then reassemble. Make sure connects2 is all connected up then connect is to the pioneer.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #55
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Oh and make sure engine is running. Iirc some stuff didn't work unless engine was running!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #56
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Ok Unplugged everything and back in, engine was running still no success.
I am tempted to send back the connects2 and get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #57
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQeez View Post
Ok Unplugged everything and back in, engine was running still no success.
I am tempted to send back the connects2 and get a new one.
I'd email them first. Their support is supposed to be pretty good. They are based in the UK.

Last edited by Emeye; 10-30-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #58
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I relocated the mic from the Oem mic location and stuck it to the top of the rear view mirror.

Initial tests and reports suggest a major improvement. The echo of themselves that callers were experiencing seems to have gone and Siri working a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:19 AM   #59
sanjp
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Coupe

Appradio 4 installed in E92

hey guys,

i've just come across this thread and thought i would let you know i've had an AppRadio 4 installed and if you have any questions then please feel free to ask!

I didn't didn't do the initial install my self, had a local dealer install my AppRadio3. I did however do the swap from AppRadio3 to 4 as it was pretty much a straight forward swap. I should say i am running a 3-way component setup at the front with a sub in the boot.

All the external parts from AP3 was the same as AP4 so i didn't have to re-route everything. The only thing i had to do was remove the Pioneer Lightning cable that is required with the AP3.

So...I initially fitted the lightning cable to USB 1 (CarPlay only works on USB port 1) and a USB extension to USB 2 and routed that to the arm rest. Only to find out when the firmware update was released that the update can only be done via USB port 1!!! :thumb down

So i took the headunit out again, pulled the lightning cable out, put the extension cable into port 1 (still routed to the arm rest) and put the lightning cable into the other end of the extension cable and routed it back under the handbrake and out near the cigarette lighter as i have a phone holder above the middle air vents.

That way when another update becomes available, i can just un-plug the lightning cable and plug a usb pen drive into the extension cable.

The new update was a bug fix update, while i've not noticed changes, one noticeable one was the 'pop' i'd get from the speakers when i turned the car off. The new update has removed the 'pop'.

Overall very pleased with carplay, it does work very well. Spotify is still buggy but does kinda work now. Definitely not as smooth as the apple apps.

This is what my setup looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbm57q1gte..._4299.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sgmqg7qqr..._4298.jpg?dl=0

As mentioned, if you have any questions please ask, if i can answer them i will.

Thanks

Last edited by sanjp; 11-05-2014 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #60
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman1303 View Post
hey guys,

i've just come across this thread and thought i would let you know i've had an AppRadio 4 installed and if you have any questions then please feel free to ask!

I didn't didn't do the initial install my self, had a local dealer install my AppRadio3. I did however do the swap from AppRadio3 to 4 as it was pretty much a straight forward swap. I should say i am running a 3-way component setup at the front with a sub in the boot.

All the external parts from AP3 was the same as AP4 so i didn't have to re-route everything. The only thing i had to do was remove the Pioneer Lightning cable that is required with the AP3.

So...I initially fitted the lightning cable to USB 1 (CarPlay only works on USB port 1) and a USB extension to USB 2 and routed that to the arm rest. Only to find out when the firmware update was released that the update can only be done via USB port 1!!! :thumb down

So i took the headunit out again, pulled the lightning cable out, put the extension cable into port 1 (still routed to the arm rest) and put the lightning cable into the other end of the extension cable and routed it back under the handbrake and out near the cigarette lighter as i have a phone holder above the middle air vents.

That way when another update becomes available, i can just un-plug the lightning cable and plug a usb pen drive into the extension cable.

The new update was a bug fix update, while i've not noticed changes, one noticeable one was the 'pop' i'd get from the speakers when i turned the car off. The new update has removed the 'pop'.

Overall very pleased with carplay, it does work very well. Spotify is still buggy but does kinda work now. Definitely not as smooth as the apple apps.

As mentioned, if you have any questions please ask, if i can answer them i will.

Thanks
Good to have another successful install up and running.

I fed both of my USBs into the glovebox.

What version are you running now? - I've found a few bugs but i've not had time to even look for a firmware upgrade.

Can you tell me if you are also experiencing the following bugs please?

1) Greyed out system settings, for the radio in particular, that I cannot find a way to change - they worked orignally! For example, I turned on News Interupt, but not it is always greyed out whatever I do!

On the the page where you can change the seating location, it shows a picture of the seats, yet it seems to me that the left front and right front are switched - i.e. if I but my location as front right, it seems the sound is set up for someone in the front left!

I'm going to look for an update.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #61
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
hey guys,

Thanks
Can you please post some pics of the fitment, specifically the edges near the bottom and also one from the rear seats to see how it fits in the dashboard?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #62
sanjp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
Good to have another successful install up and running.

I fed both of my USBs into the glovebox.

What version are you running now? - I've found a few bugs but i've not had time to even look for a firmware upgrade.

Can you tell me if you are also experiencing the following bugs please?

1) Greyed out system settings, for the radio in particular, that I cannot find a way to change - they worked orignally! For example, I turned on News Interupt, but not it is always greyed out whatever I do!

On the the page where you can change the seating location, it shows a picture of the seats, yet it seems to me that the left front and right front are switched - i.e. if I but my location as front right, it seems the sound is set up for someone in the front left!

I'm going to look for an update.

I'm running version 1.07. If you go to the Pioneer site, you can register your headunit and get an email when they release an update. They released it last week.

1) I've not noticed any grey out items in the radio. But i hardly use the radio, i'll have a look and see what i can find.

2) Have you set your headunit for right-hand drive? I noticed the 'listening position' feature lowers the volume on the side your sitting on so it doesn't seem like its just coming from the drivers seat. I switched this feature off...lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #63
sanjp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
Can you please post some pics of the fitment, specifically the edges near the bottom and also one from the rear seats to see how it fits in the dashboard?

Thanks
Yeh i can get some pics for you later on...

When you say fitment, do you mean how it sits right now? or pics of how it was fitted?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #64
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainman1303
Quote:

Thanks
Yeh i can get some pics for you later on...

When you say fitment, do you mean how it sits right now? or pics of how it was fitted?
Of how it fits in the dashboard now

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #65
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm running version 1.07. If you go to the Pioneer site, you can register your headunit and get an email when they release an update. They released it last week.

1) I've not noticed any grey out items in the radio. But i hardly use the radio, i'll have a look and see what i can find.

2) Have you set your headunit for right-hand drive? I noticed the 'listening position' feature lowers the volume on the side your sitting on so it doesn't seem like its just coming from the drivers seat. I switched this feature off...lol...
1) Cheers - I missed the update.

2) I have set the screen display for righthand drive - seems pointless though as the unit main buttons are still on the righthand side away from the driver!

If you can have a look at the listening position option on the screen where it shows the seating positions and tell me whether it is doing the correct thing when you select front right I would really appreciate it - on mine it does the opposite of what I expected - i.e. it increases the volume of the front right speaker, not reduces it. If I set it for front left, it is the opposite of expected, but correct for Front right!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #66
sanjp
Rep

Quote:
Of how it fits in the dashboard now

Thanks
Ok kool...will get some pics...
Appreciate 0