E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Waegner-tuning intercooler install..failed then went and found help :)

07-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Waegner-tuning intercooler install..failed then went and found help :)

Well I guess you could say I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I really didnt like the intercooler I was using so I decided to try and different one out to suit my needs. My buddy has a lift which works out perfect when I want to install something or need the car in the air. I was going to go ahead and get the STETT intercooler but I could never get ahold of anybody and since they are local I stopped by a couple times and always got the run around, like when there getting there next batch or they wouldnt be able to install it for 3 weeks ect...I dont think I could install that intercooler by myself since its huge and then I started thinking that there intercooler blocks more than half the radiator.....That cant be a good thing since the radiator also might need some air too lol. So I ended up purchasing the Waegner-Tuning intercooler because I liked there end tank design and have actually had a couple of buddies with Audi's use them and say they are incredible. So i saw the group buy for there intercooler and it ships the day you purchase it. No waiting around for other members to buy one until they meet however many they need to sell to make the group buy possible. I called them the next day I saw it because I always like to speak to someone about certain questions I have ect... Nick answered the phone and we started talking as I was asking him questions about what makes it better than my previous one I had or what makes it super in general. He answered every single question I had and was very informative and a really cool guy to talk to. We chit chatted a little bit about my car and what all I had done and actually took an interest and gave me input that I hadnt thought about so he def knew what he was talking about. I ended up ordering the intercooler around 1pm central time and getting back on the computer and see if it shipped or not. Which usually you have to wait 24-48 hours from alot of places. Sure enough it had shipped and estimated arrival was 7/14. I randomly would check it to see where it was but earlier in the day around 11am I was about to walk upstairs and I see a box sitting upright. I was excited to randomly see it, I felt like a kid on Christmas Day lol. So I put the box in the trunk and went over to my buddies place so I could put it up on the lift and install it. Took off the splash shield, somehow managed to get the other one out without screwing anything up and was ready to set this beautiful looking intercooler. By the way the welding is incredible, end tanks were perfect, fins were perfect as well, even the material used looked more heavy duty than alot of other intercoolers I had seen. And I have pretty much seen them all I think lol. Just an excellent looking intercooler with an instruction book and everything I needed to install this beautiful piece. The pictures did help alot on one part of the instructions and when I can see how things go, it makes it a little easier for me. I put the intercooler in and it went in tightly but very easily with connecting tubes exactly perfect. I had my buddy hold it up because he was sitting around doing jack sh*( anyway so why not put him to use lol. I screwed the bolts in place not all the way tight but to where it could hold itself up. The drivers side tube slid straight in without any extreme force but a little bit of pressure. I go over to the passanger side and it lined up perfectly, but for some reason I couldnt get it to seat properly. Like I said, Im not THAT mechanically inclined lol. I got it to a point where it looked like it was in but I knew in the back of my head "I thnk it goes farther in" and sure enough a customer pulls up and he needs the lift. I wanted to get the damn thing in and put the rings on and call it a day but I just didnt think it was all the way in. I ended up tightening it up and put both connectors on. I drove off and kept my fingers crossed. The second I could get on it I did and sure enough it would maybe get 10psi I had no idea what to do so I called a shop that just opened that I could tell really knew there stuff. But then I said its Saturday at 6pm, theres no way there going to answer or even try to fit me in to fix this damn thing. The name of the shop was FQ motorsports, so I said why not and called. I actually got an answer and explained the situation and he asked "how close are you. I said I can be there in 15 min. He said come on by and let me take a look at it but said both his lifts were full for the day but said come over anyway and let me see what I can do. So I jetted over there and meet the guy that answered the phone whose name is Young or goes by Young. I looked around and on one life there was a 2012 BMW M3 with hood open, stoptek brakes, HRE wheels with 305 in back, KW coilovers and a tech in the middle of putting a ESS supercharger on. The other lift had a Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 that was getting a hydraulic lift kit for the front so he could get it over inclines or steep driveways ect.. tekart actually makes the kit for it to my surprise. Then I looked to my right and there was the nicest looking F430 scuderia that was heavily modified. Young asked me to bring my car up the ramp to let him look at it. I told him to see what he can do and that I was sorry I called so late. He looked from the top with this mirror thing and said "yup your pipe is barely out and its unclipped. He said I can fix it real quick... He said go look around if you want and I asked are you sure, and he started to chuckle and said ya man, no worries. So I immediately went straight to the Ferrari and it was there race car come to find out its sponsored by SONY. One of the other guys that worked there said you can get in it if you want. So my eyes lit up and I opened the door. Whole door was carbon with LED lighting through the whole thing, built in rear seat subwoofers, the latest screen from SONY, the steering wheel, alcantara dash, aluminum floor boardes and a freaking fire extinguisher lol. The LED lighting really made the floor and the doors really stand out. The car was wrapped in some incredible looking graphics with SONY faintly in the background. Very very cool. Young got up and said its taken care of. I said already? He said ya man, you just didnt push the piping down hard enough and the clip probably came off on your way here since it wasnt in all the way the whole way here. I asked him what do I owe you? and im thinking in my head please dont say 300 bucks...please dont say 400 bucks lol. He said dont worry about it, wasnt that big of a deal.. I said thats not right man. You took your time to do it and I'm going to give you something. He insisted "no its no big deal" I opened my wallet and gave him 40 bucks because I think it was worth that especially considering the time it was on a Saturday? def worth more than that, now that I think about it! Come to find out he is one of the partners in the business and actually the custom tuner for FQ motorsports. So we talked for a good 30 min and was very impressed by his knowledge and his honesty and just got a good vib from him. He made me feel at home which is a big thing especially if you are an enthusiast like myself. So intercooler FIT perfectly, I'm just not as mechanically inclined, so you could say lol. It worked out great and will be referring everybody to that shop because obviously their quality of work, ethics, values, also having a million dollars worth of cars in there garage and another million in the parking lot... but so down to earth guys. Very welcoming and just seem like good people. Waegner-Tuning Intercooler looks incredible and could def feel a difference no questions asked. I got on it a couple of times in 100 degree heat here in Dallas Texas and just kept pulling run after run. So I give it an A+ and also give FQ motorsports an A++ (I was inlove with that Scuderia)
I havent done any logging yet but tomrrow I will def be seeing what the actually numbers look like and overall how much did it drop my IAT's. I def think I just took care of the summer heat!!
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

could not finish reading that wall of text, going to need a synopsis.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Intercooler not fit right
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler
Man fall in love with intercooler

Happy ending.....No not a BJ or HJ, just a good old enthusiasts Happy
Ending.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
So intercooler FIT perfectly, I'm just not as mechanically inclined
Cliffnoted
      07-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Glad to hear! I can't wait until I get mine
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler

Ending.
Lmao!!! Best post in this thread
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

Essay on intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Leroi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i TiAg MT

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Waegner-tuning intercooler install..failed then went and found help
You mean Wagner, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler

Ending.
THANK YOU FOR READING ALL THAT LOL lost myself in that wall of words a couple times and then said f**k it lol.

OP you should do some testing to see how good it really is.

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I'm glad everything worked out OP. Seriously though, paragraphs are your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Quote:
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler

Ending.
lollol...
awesome....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler

Ending.
Thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Great reading and comments. Glad it worked out, and we have some input on the Wagner for future reference.
      07-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

Haha I guess I was a little excited and very very tired when I typed this post at 3am. Re-reading this HORRIBLY written "essay" makes me LMAO. Yes paragraphs are my friend and I should have probably summed it up like another member did for me haha. Overall I'm very happy and will be doing some logging to see how much it changed the IAT's, boost, ect.. and will post some logs up so everyone can see for themselves. But honestly very happy with the outcome of yesterday even though it was pretty stressful at one point lol. I didnt get finished playing with the car till about 2:15am or so! Girlfriend was very pissed off so I had to make it up to her today. I will post some logs when I take it out in just a little bit
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Long ass paragraphs!
      07-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'm glad everyone enjoyed my caveman summary version of his long ass post lol.

OP, spoken like a true enthusiast who just fell in love all over again
.....surging with over excitement ahah
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
mattypp
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Wow
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad everyone enjoyed my caveman summary version of his long ass post lol.

OP, spoken like a true enthusiast who just fell in love all over again
.....surging with over excitement ahah

EXACTLY what he said! Had to share a little excitment with the community!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #19
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler

Ending.
I cant remember the last time a forum post gave me such a good laugh.

May I add "Man fall in love with shop" at the conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335
Quote:
Synopsis:
Man buy intercooler
Man receive intercooler
Man freak out
Man find shop
Shop fix intercooler

Ending.
I cant remember the last time a forum post gave me such a good laugh.

May I add "Man fall in love with shop" at the conclusion?
Request will be considered. Just need to verify with my writers.

LoL
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
rmw04c
Jewbacca
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHo_e92 View Post
THANK YOU FOR READING ALL THAT LOL lost myself in that wall of words a couple times and then said f**k it lol.

OP you should do some testing to see how good it really is.
I've done numerous tests on this one that you can find under my posts! It is actually damn good!