E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Front speakers that fit a E92?

02-08-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Front speakers that fit a E92?

Searched a bunch of threads but couldn't find much info on this. Focal 100VRS seem to fit according to many people. MBQ RUI 210 also seem to fit but I can't find it for sale anywhere. Are there any other speakers that fit the front door of a E92?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
From what I understand the Quarts still have interferance problems
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
From what I understand the Quarts still have interferance problems
I thought the MBQs are shallower than the Focal?

Anyone else knows of any other sets that fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
s1eepy
-_-
Rep
Drives: e92

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1eepy View Post
I have that thread bookmarked already. But it's for E90, which has more space in the front doors. I know that Focal 100VRS fits, and that has a 40mm mounting depth. Looking at the list, the only other 2-way components that is under 40mm mounting depth is the MBQ RUA 210. That brings me to the question posted in this thread: what other 2-way components fit the front doors of a E92?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
The mounting depths you are looking at in that thread are the Top Mounting Depths

You need to be concerned with the Bottom Mounting Depths if you are planning on installing speakers in the door panels from the backside of the door panel as the factory speakers are.

>> Top Mount Depth is referenced from the underneath of the speaker mounting flange to the end of the magnet.

This dimension would be relevent if you were installing the speakers thru the holes in the door panels from the outside of the door panel (which is not how the factory speakers install)

>> Bottom Mount Depth is referenced from the outermost face of the speaker mounting flange to the end of the magnet.

This dimension IS relevent if you are installing speakers as the factory speakers are installed from behind the door panel.

So basically, if you plan on installing speakers as factory, from behind the door panel - those Top Mount dimensions reported in that thread don't mean $shit.

Obviously, the Bottom Mount dimension will be larger than the Top Mount dimension as it includes the entire thickness of the speaker flange.

So just because it seems the speaker will fit based on Top Mount dimension - it very well may not when using the correct Bottom Mount dimension.

Only way to get those actual numbers is to got to speaker mfg. website and look in the Tech Specs for the speakers and usually there is a dimensional drawing that will give you the answer.

And while surfing the speaker threads this morning, I did read a thread where member installed the MBQ RUA 210, and he stated that the window scrapes the back of the speaker when going up & down.

Not something I would want happening...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
And while surfing the speaker threads this morning, I did read a thread where member installed the MBQ RUA 210, and he stated that the window scrapes the back of the speaker when going up & down.

Not something I would want happening...
That's a little disappointing. So I guess the Focals are the only ones that fit? I was hoping that there would be a slightly cheaper option...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Nm.
      02-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Directly from Crutchfield:

Top-mount vs. bottom-mount

Second, will you top-mount or bottom-mount your speakers? In a top-mount, the lip of the speaker rests over the edge of the hole. This method usually requires less mounting depth and a little less labor. A bottom-mount involves recessing the entire speaker into the hole so that no part protrudes — perfect if you need to create clean lines. If you plan on mounting your tweeter on the woofer, however, the tweeter may stick out slightly from the woofer plane. Since you will need to fit the grille over the speaker, make sure the speaker protrusion does not exceed the grille depth.

As you can see, Top Mounting Depth comes into play if you are inserting the speaker THRU the hole in the panel, from the outside of the panel - hence the speaker is 'Top Mounted' on the panel.

Bottom Mounting Depth is the critical dimension we need to reference. As our speakers install from the rear of the panel, interior to door with the face of the speaker flush against the inside surface of the door panel (or adapter) - or Bottom Mounted on the panel
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the explanation. But the question remains, how much clearance does a E92 have in the front doors, and what component sets fit there?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Thanks for the explanation. But the question remains, how much clearance does a E92 have in the front doors, and what component sets fit there?
i believe the max depth is 42mm
not much out there that fits
i tried the logic 7 speakers, they are pretty good
but hard to find used
now i got the BSW kit
and so far they sound very good
paid $570 for 11 speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
ken530i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 (on order)

??
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i believe the max depth is 42mm
not much out there that fits
i tried the logic 7 speakers, they are pretty good
but hard to find used
now i got the BSW kit
and so far they sound very good
paid $570 for 11 speakers
Are the BSW better than the L7 and MBQ RUA213?
thks!
Ken
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

The Rainbow SLC 210.25 NG are almost drop-in but not quite. I installed them by making my own speaker rings to offset them towards the interior of the car: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430342.

Alternatively, I believe VP Electricity can sell you a pair that has been modified to fit.

The BSW speakers are specifically tuned to be used with the factory amplifier. If you are planning to use something else to power them, you're better off with something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrus View Post
The Rainbow SLC 210.25 NG are almost drop-in but not quite. I installed them by making my own speaker rings to offset them towards the interior of the car: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430342.

Alternatively, I believe VP Electricity can sell you a pair that has been modified to fit.
Thanks for the info. I've been talking with VP, he told me so as well. Thanks for the link to your thread though. The pictures help a lot!

Quote:
The BSW speakers are specifically tuned to be used with the factory amplifier. If you are planning to use something else to power them, you're better off with something else.
Gotcha.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
actually i am using them with an MS-8 and an aftermarket amp
and they sound very good
tweeters are much better than HIFI or Logic 7
and the mids are much better than the HIFI or logic 7 mids
center is also better
overall a good deal
i paid $570 for 7 mids and 4 tweeters
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Of course, if you're going to use an MS-8 or other processor then it doesn't matter how they were originally tuned. If he wasn't planning on it, that's a big addition to the budget, though.

Also, I suspect you won't get any warranty support from BSW if something should happen to one of those speakers, having used aftermarket amplification.

Drop in fit is very tempting though, I'll give you that. I almost went the same way after having decided on an MS-8.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Of course, if you're going to use an MS-8 or other processor then it doesn't matter how they were originally tuned. If he wasn't planning on it, that's a big addition to the budget, though.

Also, I suspect you won't get any warranty support from BSW if something should happen to one of those speakers, having used aftermarket amplification.

Drop in fit is very tempting though, I'll give you that. I almost went the same way after having decided on an MS-8.
according to them if the amp is 50w or less its ok
my amp is 4x50 so i'm good
plus you have the 30 days money back gaurantee
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
I had Rainbow SLC 210's installed up front. Fitting them took some time, and was less than forgiving as my windows are tinted. However, they fit perfect. No issues but you can't just slap them in and be done w it.

They sound fantastic!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451762